I HATE breakfast (not breakfast foods)

raeviola

Hi all! I'm new here... on day 6, and doing great. Relatively few cravings, energy is good, it hasn't been nearly as hard as I expected.

The only problem is... I absolutely hate eating in the morning. As in, I wake up, and just the thought of having to eat breakfast makes me want to gag, literally. I have to choke down breakfast and it is not pleasurable in the slightest. I used to be a breakfast skipper (obviously) but on the Whole30 that's not going to work very well since breakfast is supposed to hold me over until lunch, right?

Note: I'm not saying I hate breakfast FOODS. People always tell me, "You don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast! Try leftovers or something like a salad!" But that's not the issue here. It doesn't matter WHAT I try to eat in the morning, it's almost impossible to get it down. Nothing is appealing. I feel like it's put me in a bit of a funk and I'm bummed out each day about Whole30 for that reason.

So my questions are...

1. Anyone else deal with this intense loathing of morning eating?

and

2. How long am I "allowed" to wait before eating in the morning? If I wake up at 7:30, is it ok to wait till 10 or 11 to eat or should I really force a good meal down first thing in the morning?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I don't hate eating breakfast, but I do have an issue with getting it in at the right time! You should try and eat with in an hour of waking up in the morning to help regulate your hormones. I would struggle thru with making yourself eat--even if you do a mini meal instead of a whole breakfast and eat more later--like a pre workout sized meal--and give it a few weeks and see if your body doesn't adjust. I know when I was in high school (more than a few years ago) my friends and I would skip breakfast because we thought it would help us stay thin--what fools we were, and one of my friends refused to eat at school--so she would toss her lunch every day--because she was afraid that a boy she liked would see her eat and be turned off by it. I think a lot of the dislike of breakfast stems from that old adage if I don't eat, I won't be fat--not to say you feel that way! I know I was swayed by the whole if I eat fat then I will be fat for nearly a decade.

Thanks for the thoughts. No, I definitely don't believe in skipping breakfast to be thin... I just am so grossed out by the thought of eating so soon after waking up (I am NOT a morning person, can you tell?). I'm going to try your idea of a mini breakfast for a while and see if that helps. Hoping this plan will "reset" this for me as well in the long term. Thank you!

I will tell you, it'll get easier.  During my first W30, I was almost physically sick trying to eat in the morning.  I was never hungry before 11am.  But every day I'd have something, started out small then my portions grew.  Now I'm hungry within an hour of getting up and usually have some sweet potato hash and eggs.  Go slow and small, you'll get there. :)    

Archived