Week 3 and experiencing digestive cramping?? What gives?

Hi there... 

I have been going pretty good for three weeks now, eating well, hydrating, etc. and one week after my period (which came early, lingered longer than usual, didn't experience the bloat, raging cramps, so that was a BIG win)....

BUT NOW, this week, I have had some pretty sharp, intermittent, what I would call digestive pains or cramps???  

I don't know what or how else to describe it other than I know its not period related.  I was thinking it may be the food, but my food intake and choices and other bodily functions have not changed this week from the last... 

I'm a little stumped.  Is this something that is common when you get into the 3-4 week phase?

Ideas? 

Yes - I had a flare up of some past digestive issues at the very end of my most recent Whole30. It took a little time to pin down what was causing it. Turns out that nuts, avocado and coconut milk were the culprits (for me). I had been eating these things throughout my entire Whole30 - so I was a little boggled by why these digestive issues didn't flare up until the end. Well, for me, there's a certain "tipping point" that happens when I eat too much of any of these things - quantity and frequency of these trigger foods caused the digestive pain.

If you happen to be experiencing the same thing - I'd recommend a shot of apple cider vinegar (preferably braggs or some brand that includes "the mother"). This took my pain away within 30 minutes or so (if not sooner). I also incorporated a shot of fresh, raw beet juice on occasion - this, too, helped.

Similarly, your body may just be "done" with a certain kind of food for a while, especially if you eat it very often. Outside of whole30, I know I don't like sweet potatoes ALL THE TIME, and even now, I'm mostly off of eggs because my body just says "I'm not eating that AGAIN." Maybe change up your foods, see if your body is happier?

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad to hear this is normal too!  I'm on my last week, but for the last week and a half, I've definitely been having some digestive issues and wasn't sure what gives.  I think it's too much almond butter for me (I really hope it's not avocado and coconut!!).  I'll cut out the nuts and see if it helps in the next 5 days.  I might try switching things up too; I've had egg muffins every morning for the duration and sweet potato for my pwo that doesn't feel like it's sitting very well either.  :mellow:

Archived