Ideas on what to serve for housewarming?

mollyknight

Hello all!

I'm hosting a housewarming party soon and I'd like to have something delicious out for people to nom on. I'd like it to be as Whole30 compliant as possible (so I can be all "SEE? IT'S GREAT!" to the doubters).  Any recommendations?

Looking for snacky type things that don't have to be heated up.

So far I'm thinking of doing a bean-less chili (keep it in the crockpot on "warm"), maybe a baba ghanouj dip with crudite....and then i'm out of ideas :)

For your crudite, include sliced jicama.

Other ideas:

- cucumber salad
- marinated olives http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/12/22/holiday-dino-chow-fancy-olives/
- spiced nuts (note: not Whole30 due to coconut sugar) http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/12/18/holiday-dino-chow-spiced-nuts/

EDIT: I just made this Apple Bumpkin Breakfast Bake.  You could make it ahead of time, refrigerate, then serve cold, as a dessert-ish or side-dish item. Skip the maple syrup and use a compliant vanilla extract or vanilla powder to make it Whole30 compliant. http://www.thefoodieandthefamily.com/2012/07/01/apple-bumpkin-breakfast-bake/

Poached shrimp with paleo mayo dipping sauce? Or pickled shrimp--I have seen one on Marks Daily Apple--check for compliant ingredients-- pate' with cucumber slices to serve it on, not sure what your $$ is looking like but if you wanted to get fancy fancy--oysters on the half shell, carpaccio, satay with sunshine sauce--that may be a bit much with having to keep warm but it sounds good! prosciutto wrapped melon slices? 

What a great post, full of good ideas. I'd add quacomole, it would be great with the jicama strips and I also like it with crispy sweet potato chips or as a topping on the chili. I'd also recommend the porkitos from NomNomPaleo, if you can find W30-compliant prosciutto (I think it's usually fine but some kinds add sugar). Since it's fall, what about homemade spicy wings? We've made them with hot sauce and replaced a regular recipe's butter with ghee.

Happy Housewarming!

Awesome ideas, I was going to mention NomNom's Asian Meatballs myself.

Last night I made prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears and they were excellent. They're easy to make but it's tough to keep a serving tray stocked ;-)

Trim the spears, wrap them in a paper towel, soak the paper towel with water, and microwave on a plate on high for about two minutes. Then wrap 2-4 spears (depending on diameter) with one slice of prosciutto. Once all wrapped, add to hot pan with a little bit of your favorite fat (I used ghee) and saute, turn, saute, turn, saute, serve. The prosciutto gets nice and tight around the asparagus when it starts to get slightly browned and crispy. Easy to eat as finger food or an elegant addition to a meal.

X

Archived