Gum or Mints alternative?

Cathlana

Chewing gum is discouraged - partly because of the ingredients in it, partly because of the chewing action involved...

When you chew, you send signals to your body that it needs to get ready to digest food - when there's no food to digest, you have created a stomach environment for food digestion that will be wasted. Your body's ability to create digestive enzymes decreases over time, so overworking your body by chewing gum can cause issues later on!

I hear you on the gum issue.  I was a huge gum chewer before Whole30.  The first few weeks of my first whole30, I had the worst cotton mouth.  I almost think my mouth stopped forming enough saliva b/c I would constantly supplement it with gum.  But after a week and a half, the cotton mouth subsided and the no gum was much more tolerable.  And I realized how much I was addicted to gum.  :)

After W30, I used Listerine Breath Strips. They dissolve into Listerine, but I'm not sure if they've got any hidden sweeteners (haven't seen/found ingredients lists). I second brushing your teeth and/or mouthwash at work after meals, though. It signals my brain, at least, that I'm done with that meal and I'm more satisfied.

After W30, I used Listerine Breath Strips. They dissolve into Listerine, but I'm not sure if they've got any hidden sweeteners (haven't seen/found ingredients lists). I second brushing your teeth and/or mouthwash at work after meals, though. It signals my brain, at least, that I'm done with that meal and I'm more satisfied.

Here's the ingredients list from the Listerine Cool Mint Breath Strips: pullulan, menthol, sucralose, potassium acesulfame, copper gluconate, polysorbate 80, chondrus crispus (carrageenan), glycerol oleate, thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate, ceratonia siliqua gum, propylene glycol, xantham gum, flavor, green 3.

• 3 months later...

what are the ingredients for the doterra mints? 

Whoops - my error - forget about doTerra peppermint beadlets.

I just called doTerra to confirm their ingredients (after someone previously recommended them on the Whole9 FB page).  They are off-limits for a Whole30 as they contain carrageenan and xylitol.  I could have sworn I checked these out earlier and they were fine.  My mistake. I will search and find my previous posts suggesting doTerra peppermint beadlets and delete them.

That is so strange. I'm holding in my hand the doTerra peppermint beadlets that I ordered from Amazon. Ingredients are listed as : peppermint essential oil, fatty acid of coconut, and gelatin. That's it. Maybe they changed the formula? These actually work really well so it would be a shame if they changed them.

That is so strange. I'm holding in my hand the doTerra peppermint beadlets that I ordered from Amazon. Ingredients are listed as : peppermint essential oil, fatty acid of coconut, and gelatin. That's it. Maybe they changed the formula? These actually work really well so it would be a shame if they changed them.

I called doTerra today and here's what they told me are the ingredients for the peppermint beadlets: peppermint oil, coconut oil, palm oil, agar, guar gum, glycerin, sodium, alginate, carrageenan and xylitol. I think everything after the palm oil is what's in the gelatin material of the capsules. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm so disappointed about the DoTerra beadlets. I had seen that they were "clean" and just put in an order! In a pinch for something minty, could you just put a tiny drop of peppermint essential oil in your mouth? Moderators, is this allowed? The kind I bought was from Young Living, and it is only peppermint essential oil.

I do have to agree with the above poster that since following W30, I rarely desire gum or mints anymore. If I fall off the wagon, that icky mouth feeling returns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived