WF told me yes, sugar in their turkey/chicken sausages

EvB

Just wanted to share this: I usually buy turkey or chicken sausages at WF at the meat counter. The ingredients listed on the tag include all compliant things. However, I decided to ask the butcher/counter guy to confirm that what was on the tag is actually what's in the sausage and he informed me that there is sugar in all their sausage products! I was buying it for my family's lasagna, not for me, but I'm glad I asked!

Shoot, I just ate some last night.  They even assured me there was no sugar when I asked.  That's frustrating!

I'd go based on what the butcher says. I had a long talk with one of the butchers at my Whole Foods and they redid their sausages to not have soy or sugar in them after he decided to do a whole30. If they're mixed up there, then it should be complient. OR just buy the ground meat without anything in it and mix the seasonings in. I think Well Fed had some mixes as well as Primal Cravings.

We have excellent butchers are our Whole Foods.  I talked with them at length and they agreed to smoke pork belly for me with any seasonings I prefer.  I think the same would go for sausage because I was AIP at the time.  Happily, I found local, pasture pigs and ordered half of one, so I won't be needing the service, but it is worth asking.  Our guys stands there all day making sausages.  He could probably season some for you, just like he offered to smoke the pork belly without sugar for me.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh. I went to Pedersons Farms website to look to see if they sell near me...nope :*(

I have checked repeatedly with my WF, too. there are only a few there that are sugar/sweetener free (mild pork sausage is the one that comes into mind)

I have checked repeatedly with my WF, too. there are only a few there that are sugar/sweetener free (mild pork sausage is the one that comes into mind)

Talk to the butchers at your Whole Foods.  They can get you the plain pork or smoke pork belly.  They do it there from scratch and mine will happily make me unsweetened, smoked bacon.  I have opted not to go this route because I found a local farmer with happier pigs and chickens than the pork and poultry at my local WF.

Archived