would like to know tips for clarifying my own butter

healthyAbby

I've had two different brands of store bought ghee.  I haven't liked either all that much and I LOVE butter.  Is ghee something I have to get used to, or might I like it more if I clarify my own?  I can get Kerrygold butter I'm sure... probably organic valley if I look around...

I thought it tasted like the smell of perfume or incense.  Just not my thing...although I do love Indian food and I think they use it liberally.  Not sure.  I'll clarify some as soon as I am done moving.

I clarified 2 blocks of Kerrygold butter just last night :)

Using my coated cast iron pot which is white on the inside, I melted the butter over low heat which probably took about 20 minutes.  Then I removed from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  You'll be able to see the milk solids settled to the bottom of the pot  Next I just slowly poured it into a jar (no cheesecloth or strainer) being careful to leave all the milk solids in the bottom of the pot.  When pouring you can tell when the milk solids are about to pour also and then you just set the pot down, wait another few minutes for everything to resettle at the bottom and pour again.

http://allrecipes.com/howto/clarifying-butter/ Sort of like this but I never seem to need to do the skimming part.

• 3 months later...

I've got this down to a fine art - well, for me anyway!  ;)

I'm always amazed at how quickly I get through it and then it's clarifying-butter-day again!

This is how I do it - excuse the link but it's the clearest way of explaining it -

http://justaboutrealfood.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/kitchen-basics-clarified-butter-20.html

Merry, buttery Christmas!

I'm sure a lot of people probably know this, but going to say it anyway just incase some don't!

I found out about this a couple months ago.  You can add/infuse spices while making Ghee/Clarified Butter.  Garlic is my fav. Just /toss some cloves in there a little bit after it starts to melt. Depending on how strong of a Garlic (or well any type of spice taste with it) Add as much as you think you'll need. Also the higher you turn the heat up the more the spice infuses with it. I Usually have it to Medium-Low setting for a bit then when it starts to bubble (with the spices in there) I turn it down to low and let it cook/sit or w/e you want to call it for 15-20 min.

People can try out different spices and amounts of time/heat settings until they get it just right for how you like it!

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Ghee/Clarified Butter is ok after the original butter due date?

For example I have a bunch of butter that expires in early Feb. If I make it all into Ghee/Clarified Butter now, will it be ok after the original butter I made it froms exp date?  If so how long approx?

Thanks !

I melt GF or organic butter (damn you Costco for not carrying Kerrygold anymore! It's coming back Feb 4th though! Hooray!) in a saucepan on medium-low heat. After it's all melted, it will start to bubble and a "scum" will form on top. Just keep an eye on it and let it bubble. That's the water boiling out of it. Then the foam will start rising up and boiling and it will look like it's going to boil over. I keep stirring it while it does this to prevent a boil-over for a few more minutes, then I pour it through a coffee filter into a mason jar. The milk solids on the bottom of the pan should be golden brown, which will give the ghee a nutty flavor. Then I throw it in the fridge to cool completely. The first time I made ghee, I just left it on the counter to cool, but it never quite solidified completely, it was thick but still runny and part liquid. This time I put it in the fridge and it got solid and hard, so then I pulled it out and let it warm to room temp, and it stayed solid, but soft so I could scoop it, like a thick paste.

I couldn't find a cheese cloth in my little town so I used coffee filters.  I took a wire strainer and put in a single coffee filter and poured it in.  It goes quickly until it is saturated then it is a slow drip process.  I just leave it and come back or switch out for a new filter and the rest goes quickly.

Nomnompaleo.com has a great "how to" on her website.

Does anyone know if Ghee/Clarified Butter is ok after the original butter due date?

For example I have a bunch of butter that expires in early Feb. If I make it all into Ghee/Clarified Butter now, will it be ok after the original butter I made it froms exp date?  If so how long approx?

Thanks !

Ghee is shelf stable and will last for a long time in the cabinet. I wouldn't have any problem doing exactly what you said. The Nom Nom Paleo cookbook said something about it lasting up to a year in the fridge.

This is good to know - the baking and straining seems a lot more efficient than way I was doing it (I'll spare you the details!) - and I've just run out of ghee, so tomorrow, in search of cheesecloth I think. Thanks all for the useful info

Cheers
IanB

Yay, I'm glad I found this thread! I bought 2 blocks of unsalted kerrygold over the weekend and plan on following the recipe for ghee in Nom Nom Paleo. I'm so excited. I LOVE ghee! I never thought I would like butter so much. I'm a big fan of OMghee but thought I'd try to save some money and see if I could make it myself.

Archived