Meat - What is a good price - Grass Fed

Misskittycaroline

I am new to this, so please bare with me.... I found a local farmer that will deliver the meat right to my door step.. I ended up stumbling upon them at my local farmers market.. Based on what I have been reading and seeing I think this may be a good price...

Thoughts?

Example:

Boneless / Skinless Breast $5.99 lb.
Ground Beef from Round $5.39 lb    

Soup Bones  $3.99 lb. (would I use these to make my bone broth?)

Side Pork ( Non-smoked bacon) $6.29 lb

Pork Butt / Shoulder  $5.89 lb.

http://www.johnhenrys.net/

Our  beef  is Grass Fed, Antibiotic Free and Hormone Free. We also offer a full line of Pork and Chicken which is all raised by either being Grass Fed or Free Range, Antibiotic Free and Hormone Free.  

It probably depends on your area, but compared to what I pay (I'm in Nashville), those look like fair prices to me! For reference, I typically pay $6/pound for grass fed ground beef, either from a local farmer or Trader Joe's; organic free-range chicken breasts at my Trader Joe's are $6.99/pound. Pork butt at our Whole Foods is around $6 a pound. I haven't gotten side pork so not sure on that.

And yep, you'd use soup bones for bone broth!

• Moderators

I buy grass-fed beef roasts and ground beef for roughly $5.50 per pound when I buy $200-$300 at a time at my local farmer's market. The roasts are labeled a little higher, but my farmer gives me a discount because I buy more roasts from him than any other buyer. I slow cook a roast at least once per week. Lots of people want steak, but the tradition of cooking a roast has faded in our culture. I take advantage buying the neglected cuts. 

This is one of the things I am struggling with.  I am just getting ready to start the program and while I know organics are so much better for me - we have 5 adults in our household to feed.  Not sure if I can afford it.....

Buy what you can afford! If you buy conventional meats just be sure to remove or drain off any fat after cooking. Only buy organic veggies and fruit from the dirty dozen list. You can do this quite successfully by only doing conventional if that's what you can afford. :)

Thanks Sharon.

I am trying out new recipes and getting some ideas before I go into this full force.  I know if I have to think about what to cook and what my husband might like then I might blow it.  Love all the recipes in the forum though - I've printed off a ton.  Can't wait to try them.

Archived