Can you eat too many veggies??

EvB

Hi, I've been eating a ton of veggies and wondered if it's possible to eat too many? For example, a lunch might be a turkey patty (homemade) and 3/4  cup of cabbage slaw (shredded cabbage in sesame oil, carrots), and a big salad - like 2-3 cups of lettuce with tomato and cucumber. For dinner, maybe palm sized protein like chicken, with a 4-cup salad and half a head of broccoli and a handful of snap peas... I'm eating fats with the meal - either some olives or 1/2 avocado or olive oil.

Too much? I often feel like I could eat even more salad or slaw, but I recognize that's less about hunger and more my habit (hoping to break) of eating sort of non-stop (which I usually do with veggies anyhow, although was known to sometimes do it with cookies, too ;)

Thanks in advance!

Eve

I notice that when I have a LOT of raw veggies - this can be problematic for my digestive system. Try to check in with how you're feeling - any GI distress? Are you getting hungry between meals? Are you able to stick to 3 meals a day? What day are you on? You may need a bit more protein and fat at each meal for your body to feel satiated - yes, it could be the need to break an overeating habit - or you could just be still hungry! I have to say I've never had the strong urge to overeat broccoli unless I was really hungry ;)

Don't sweat it too much - they're JUST veggies! And you have 30 days to observe how your habits change - our mind can't always figure out what our body is trying to work through...

I am frequently amazed at the amount of vegetables I can pack away per meal.  I make salads in mixing bowls. I can polish off an entire bunch of chard, and/or a whole head of broccoli, and/or half a pound of cumin-roasted carrots in one sitting.  I have come to the conclusion that you can't possibly overdose on vegetables.  If you could, I would have done so by now.  Better veggies than the awful crap I used to stuff myself with.  Now, I'm sure if they were all high-carb veggies, I might put on a bit of weight, but eating so many greens I haven't had that problem.

I easily eat at minimum 2 cups of veg per meal, both cooked and raw. I enjoy having large mixing bowl salads at lunch and I often do cooked veg and a salad at dinner! I don't think you can over do veggies! I would much rather have veg then fruit personally. 

I am certian that I have eating MORE veggies in the past 45 days than I had in the past YEAR! I think that how full you are is clearly a limit, or how bad your gut feels later... But if they are GREEN, you get the green light! If they are yellow and orange (squash types) i think eat huge amounts with caution.

Thanks everyone! I don't eat many starchy veggies-maybe a sweet potato now and then, some squash maybe once a week. I'm glad to see other people are putting away as many veggies. I don't have an GI problems which is great--as I had them before W30 quite often. I'm on Day 30-something. I stopped counting and just decided to stick with this for awhile although I see a glass of wine or two in the near future!

I easily eat at minimum 2 cups of veg per meal, both cooked and raw. I enjoy having large mixing bowl salads at lunch and I often do cooked veg and a salad at dinner! I don't think you can over do veggies! I would much rather have veg then fruit personally. 

Yeah, I surprised everyone when I ate a 2 quart salad...with meat...and fruit...it was delicious, especially with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette thing (garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper?).

• 3 months later...

Ok, I am glad that I am not the only person who had this question.  I literally feel like I could eat my body weight in vegetables every day.  I do not eat super starchy vegetables--no sweet potatoes, yellow/orange squashes.  However, I do eat A LOT of broccoli, bok choy, lettuce, zucchini, and cauliflower. I'm trying to get into kale but I just can't seem to find a way to prepare it where I actually like it...trust me I've tried everything! Occasionally, I might have a handful of carrots.

My question is on some of the iffy vegetables that have a higher carb content--tomatoes (which I know is technically a fruit haha) and zucchini.  Should I worry about limiting these?  I also RARELY eat any fruit, so I'm not getting a lot of carb sources from these and I train about 2 hours a day so I'm not looking to go too low carb.  

Thanks for any input!

Ashley 

Ashley - 

There's really no reason to limit any veggies, unless you're letting starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and squash chase the other veggies off your plate. :)

And I would add if you are training 2 hours a day you might want to include some starchy vegetables especially in a post workout meal.

I count zucchini as a green, it's higher carb than some greens, but far from starchy :)

For anyone feeling like they are overdoing the veggies, if it's just salad, your body may be after something a bit heavier. Salads are nice and easy, but so are roast veggies if you do a big pan full :)

Ashley - Have you tried kale cooked in duck fat? Delicious! Make sure you remove the "ribs" unless it's baby kale (here, it comes the size of baby spinach), kale ribs are all wrong in the texture department. You can also use it in soups, it doesn't go all mushy like spinach.

Thanks everyone!  I will have to try the kale with duck fat.  I will be honest, I am lazy sometimes when it comes to cooking veggies so I buy the pre-chopped kale...

Glad to know I can't eat too many green veggies.  I think I ate my weight in broccoli last night.  Just too good!

Archived