Day 31 and 21lbs lighter The Whole 30 rocks!

frantriefus

Before the whole 30 I was 225lb, on anti-spasm pills for IBS , on aural steroids and steroid cream for eczema and in the past 6 months had had 7 courses of antibiotics for infected eczema and 2 abcesses.  I had severe asthma and had at least 2 asthma attacks a dayI have been on anti-depressants for 4 years but was suffering from severe depression.  Although none of these conditions were life threatening, my quality of life was miserable and I was feeling desperate.  To cap it all, my partner of 7 years left me.

My older sister had been doing the whole 30 and she had suffered with the same allergies as me but much worse.  She had been debilitated with ulcerative colitis for many years.  The change I witnessed in her was extraordinary and inspiring and her enthusiasm and joy after her whole 30 was infectious in the best possible way!

Not believing that I could possibly succeed with this programme, with great fear around giving up my ½ bottle of white wine a night, I started on 17th August.  The first week, I felt terrible, brain foggy, headaches, terrible if not worse gut problems, bad asthma, couldn't sleep but somehow without me really noticing everything got better.  The most important thing to me were the daily emails which became my sucky blanket.  They were also full of links to interesting articles, research, recipes and my appetite for finding out everything I could about optimal nutrition, paleo lifestyle grew and grew as my physical appetite and cravings for food lessened.

The benefits of the whole 30 for me have been LIFE CHANGING.  I am so much more organised, are planning my meals more effectively and so am throwing away less food from my fridge that rots before it gets used. Although I am buying more expensive ingredients I am saving money on buying only what gets eaten.  I am loving the food I am eating and feel full, satiated and no longer have that continual ravenous hunger that never goes away.  I feel good and strangely content and happy despite being heart broken.

I have decided not to reintroduce anything and just keep my whole 30 going.  Why change something that is working so well?  I will keep going on the whole 30 until my body feels it has come home and is the right weight, however long that may be and whatever weight that is.

Today is day 31 and I weighed myself and am astounded to find out that I now weigh 204lbs which is a 21lb loss in 30 days.  Thank you Melissa and Dallas and the whole 30 team, what you have given me is so much more than lost lbs and inches, what you have given me is hope and belief in myself that I can be the person that I want to be. 

Inspiring and impressive.  Congratulations on your mental and physical transformation!  Although I don't have all the autoimmune issues, I had a similar experience during my first W30 (as do so many others).  When I went back to a SAD for the month of August while we were on vacation, I ended up pretty much off the rails, and lost so much of that feeling of empowerment and control and contentment you describe.  Now that I'm back doing my second W30, I feel like it's back, and I won't make that mistake again.  At least I learned something from it.  Anyway, enjoy!

I am a new member and I have been doing the whole30 for 8days, I have always been pretty healthy and never more than maybe 10 pounds over weight,I am one of those skinny fat people that they discribe in the book, I don't want to give up because I think this will be a great program, I have never not had sugar for a whole day so 8 days is great for me, even though my sugar intake is very small and in the form of stevia in my tea, my concerns starting this program was my cravings which honestly are not there since I started, like eating my kids pretzels....the whole bag when I have a craving. Will I loose a few pounds on this program because I seem to be eating a lot of fat, My salad at lunch today had 3 oz turkey, 1/2 avocado ,maybe 12 almonds, and 1 TBSP olive oil plus tomatoes lettuce is this too much fat?? I don't want to give up but I would like to see some changes, when do you really see the changes???

Oh ya an for breakfast I had 3 eggs with some fresh tomatoes and 4 slices of chicken bacon, I am not really an egg person but I figured for 30 days I can suck it up, the chicken bacon gives the eggs a bit of flavour, when I have time I eat an omelette wiht lots of roasted veggies but during the school days with kids I don;t have time, 3 eggs just seems like a lot!!

Sisi--I just happened to notice your post, but it it will probably really help you to read and post in one of the Whole 30 Log threads, if you're not already.

That's not too much fat!  Eating healthy fat helps your body use it's stored fat for energy.  At 8 days, I don't think I noticed any changes either but by the end of my first whole 30 I'd lost 13 lbs and 13+ inches.  And I ate healthy fat at every meal, in addition to the fat I was cooking with.  I also exercise about 5-6 days per week, but I have a pre or post workout snack too, depending on the timing of my work out.

My advice is don't worry so much about measuring.  Try to make a gorgeous meal with the three components, and eat until your full and happy.  Trust the process.  There will be changes.

Inspiring and impressive.  Congratulations on your mental and physical transformation!  Although I don't have all the autoimmune issues, I had a similar experience during my first W30 (as do so many others).  When I went back to a SAD for the month of August while we were on vacation, I ended up pretty much off the rails, and lost so much of that feeling of empowerment and control and contentment you describe.  Now that I'm back doing my second W30, I feel like it's back, and I won't make that mistake again.  At least I learned something from it.  Anyway, enjoy!

Thank You.  I am terrified of becoming 'food unconcious' again, so I am just going to keep going.  :)

Archived