Whole30 Day 22 - major energy issues playing sports

XIIxOveR

Looking for advice, although I'm open to the idea that the advice might be "be patient".

I'm on day 22 of my Whole30. Overall I'm feeling pretty good, not really seeing the "magic" I've heard so much about but I'm generally optomistic and still very pleased with my choice to do this.

I play raquetball and basketball a few times a week. I've been finding that my energy levels typically start off really well but that I crash very quickly. Most recently was on day 20. I play basketball for a couple hours every Saturday morning, have been for a couple of years now. Over the Whole30 process I've been working hard at dialing in my morning schedule so that I give myself time to eat a decent breakfast before exercising and day 20 was supposed to be the day that I finally did it. However, once again, I started of my playing with stellar results, very pleased and thinking I had this energy issue licked! Then, about 20 minutes in, I hit a wall WAY harder than any I would hit previously. I almost felt like I couldn't be bothered to move, it was terrible!

I'm trying to figure out what I could do differently to help maintain more consistent energy levels while playing as intensely as I tend to play.

Is this something I should just expect as part of this process? Has anyone else experienced similar? Maybe I'm eating the wrong foods? Not getting enough sleep? All of the above?

I'm in my 40's, I have a difficult time getting more than 6-7 hours of sleep at night and even that is usually interrupted, and my breakfast on day 20 was a six ounce +/- grassfed hamburger with tomato from my garden wrapped in lettuce, a closed handful of a nut, seed, and raisin "trailmix" I made, and a couple cups of green tea. I ate about 30-45 minutes before starting to play.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

Xii

I don't know if this meal is typical for you or not but it seems you could eat way more veggies especially starchy veggies like squash, sweet potato, or root veggies. I believe you are looking for 2-3 cups at each meal. A couple tomato slices and lettuce are not going to give you enough carbohydrates! Your fat seems okay (on the lower end of the template though) but I wonder if you try 1/2 or whole avocado instead and skip the trail mix, I wonder if raisins are not the best choice.

• Moderators

My guess is that you would benefit from eating more starchy veggies if you are having energy issues. I do okay without starchy veggies, but most of my workouts end after about 30 minutes. Going several hours drains more energy, so you may need to fill your tank with the butternut squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc. 

Much appreciated guys!

So, more starchy veggies seems to be a common theme. I'm definitely not eating enough veggies in general I guess. The fact that I'm even eating breakfast now is already a miracle :)

As for the fats, I totally agree. The trail mix was more of an easy thing to grab on my way out the door than it was a thoughtful choice, and the raisins are total sugar bombs. I"m not ata all a fan of avacado unfortunately. I'm going to keep working at it to see if I can get used to it but so far, nada!

So this morning, after rereading this thread, I sauteed about a cup of chopped sweet potato in about a tablespoon of ghee and had that with a 4-5 ounce burger and some compliant mustard with my usual couple cups of tea. My performance today was MUCH better. My energy levels started to go down a bit but it wasn't anywhere near as much and it took around an hour this time!

So thanks much for what seems to be very sound advice. I'll keep working to up the amount of veggies in that first meal of the day as well as the fats and will keep experimenting.

I'm also trying to do better with the post workout meal, today I hit some leftover prosciutto wrapped asparagus and some chicken. I'm definitely not eating enough yet because it's 10:00am and I'm famished! Definitely taking some getting used to.

Xii

Do you like coconut milk or coconut butter? I love sweet potatoes with coconut milk poured on top with a dash of cinnamon. I roast a bunch of sweet potatoes in the oven ahead of time and just reheat in a skillet, pour on the milk and let it bubble a little, then sprinkle with cinnamon. Starchy and fatty, yummmm! You could also have a small amount of fruit, like berries with coconut milk pour on top, it's delicious cold too.

I strongly second Tom suggestion of increasing the starchy veg content if your meals. You mentioned you sleep only 6-7 hrs and it is interrupted. I found as I increase the starchy veggies my sleep is slowly improving. I am not waking at 2-3am as much anymore!

I strongly second Tom suggestion of increasing the starchy veg content if your meals. You mentioned you sleep only 6-7 hrs and it is interrupted. I found as I increase the starchy veggies my sleep is slowly improving. I am not waking at 2-3am as much anymore!

Man, that would be a blessing! lol.

So I have been eating not only a lot more starchy veggies this week, but all veggies in general. I'm still waking up at 3:00 and stumbling to the bathroom :rolleyes: but my energy levels have indeed been much better.

I never realized how much I would like sweet potato, I never used to eat them at all and now I can't get enough some days!

Archived