Can I have

Biminilady

can I piggy back on this ask if there is a list of compliant OTC medications... or even just a list of OTCs to avoid?

My first guess is that medical issues always trump the program but Advil has a sugar coating where Aleve does not (for example). 

This is probably posted somewhere else, I just saw this topic and realized I meant to check a couple of days ago

Advil or Tylenol ??? I am in constant pain from old injuries ... I noticed all kinds of additives on the Advil bottle... Help!

can I piggy back on this ask if there is a list of compliant OTC medications... or even just a list of OTCs to avoid?

My first guess is that medical issues always trump the program but Advil has a sugar coating where Aleve does not (for example). 

This is probably posted somewhere else, I just saw this topic and realized I meant to check a couple of days ago

They generally recommend acetaminophen over ibuprofen.

Doctor's prescriptions trump Whole30.  If you're taking OTC stuff that is not doctor-ordered, look for those without sweeteners, soy or gluten.

Also, FWIW, when you pull out all the pro-inflammatory foods (all the things you cut out during a whole30), your overall body inflammation should reduce, and you will likely be in less pain.

I am in this boat myself. Lots of old and new injuries, chronic pain, etc. I have found that Advil bloats me up pretty good, and takes about 3-4 days to fade, so I have tried to avoid taking it during this whole30 (so I can get a better handle on what my body's actually doing). If you can get a solid week/week and a half in without advil or tylenol, you may find that your inflammation reduces and you feel better. 

I know it sounds like hooey, but it's true. I am in pain every day, almost all the time, one way or another. But it's not as bad on the whole30, nor do flare ups hit as hard, and I recover more quickly. Seriously. :)

Try things like epsom salt baths after work (the only way I got through post-car accident time), taking regular breaks, very light stretching, staying well hydrated. I used to lay on the floor at work once every hour, after the car accident, to let my muscles relax and stop seizing (as much). I could only stand for five minutes at a time before pain forced me to sit. I could only walk for 10 minutes, and slowly at that, before I had to take a break. If you say that you can't give yourself that much time, I may suggest thinking about why you can't. I know there are extenuating circumstances for everyone. However, one thing that the car accident taught me is that I needed to take time for myself, to take care of myself, and to not exceed my limits, 'cause it only made things worse, overall.

:wacko: Sorry for the soapbox. 

Thanks for all your replays... But yes, I am specifically asking is there a list of OTC meds that are allowed..as Advil lists sugar and Soy ...But works... I'm not talking about minor inflammatory pain or I would just suck it up for awhile and let the program work as suggested...

Archived