Share your favorite fall recipes!

Delaine Ross

It's starting to cool off and today, I got ingredients to make my favorite fall dish: sweet potato soup.

Here is my recipe (I'm not a measurer:)

I cook an onion and a sweet potato, put them in a Vitamix, add what I think to be the right about of vegetable stock (or chicken if you have homemade or a compliant store bought, ) cinnamon and nutmeg and blend into a nice Fall soup.

What is your favorite Fall recipe?

• 1 month later...

I left out the lemongrass as I think it tastes like washing up liquid. This was really delicious highly recommended by me and him indoors. 

Back in the day I served it with rice but it would make a good side to fish or chicken.

Nigel Slater's Pumpkin with Ginger, Coconut Milk & Lime

2 medium onions

3tbsp olive oil

large lump of ginger

3 small very hot chillies

3 stalks lemongrass

2tsp turmeric

1tsp ground cumin

1tsp ground coriander

800g tomatoes

400ml veg stock

1.5kg pumpkin or other squash

250ml coconut milk

juice of a plump lime

small handful coriander leaves

small handful mint leaves

peel and roughly chop onions.

Cook slowly in oil in a deep pan until soft.

Peel ginger, cut into fine matchsticks. Seed and finely chop chillies

peel and discard outer leaves of lemongrass and finely slice the soft inner core.

Add ginger, chillies and lemongrass to onions and cook for a further 5 mins.

Stir in turmeric, cumin and coriander.

Chop tomatoes roughly and stir into pan. Let them soften for 5-7 mins. Stir so it doesn't burn.

Pour in stock. Bring to boil and turn down to a gentle simmer.

Peel and deseed pumpkin, cut flesh into 4-5cm chunks. Lower into pan and simmer for 20-25 mins. Check for softness. As Nigel says it's a fine line between tender squash and squishy squash!!

Stir in coconut milk gently so as not to smash the squash and cook for a couple of minutes.  Check seasoning, then gently stir in lime juice and coriander and mint leaves. 

This one is from Rose Elliott

Pumpkin roasted with red onions and sage in a balsamic glaze

600g whole pumpkin
2 red onions
12 sprigs fresh sage
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup leave this out for Whole30

Maldon salt

Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400F/gas mark 4.

Peel and deseed the pumpkin, then cut into slender wedges about 1cm wide.

Peel the onions and cut into sixths.

Put the vegetables and sage into a roasting tin.

Mix the garlic, oil, vinegar and syrup, pour over the vegetables and stir to coat.

Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

Scatter with salt and serve hot.

• 4 weeks later...
I just made this one up this week to copy something my step dad makes. I'm so addicted to it that I'm going to roast a whole chicken like this tomorrow night and cream kale into the sauce. MOUTH WATERING. If you're not into liquorice or strong basilic flavours, this is not the recipe for you!

ANISE CREAM CHICKEN

An absolutely delicious fall chicken dish, I love to serve it with zucchini and yellow peppers in half a roasted acorn or buttercup squash. So filling. So good.

4 chicken thighs chopped

1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil

1/2 cup Onions

1/2 cup coconut milk

1 tbsp Raw Organic Coconut Butter

2 clove Garlic, Whole

1 cup Chicken broth

1 tbsp Bacon Grease drippings

Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, cracked peppercorns, himalayan or other clean salt, maybe some sweet paprika for colour!

DIRECTIONS

brown chicken in coconut oil. set aside. add the bacon drippings to pan with mince onions. Add 3 parts cinnamon, to one part clove, two parts nutmeg and a small pile of star anise add broth or water when onions are cooked. Add coconut milk, broth, and coconut butter and simmer until reduced and fragrant. When you've reached your level of anise flavour take the stars out with a slotted spoon (you can also set the sauce aside with the anise in it to seep the flavour over night or serve with the anise as a decoration, but remind diners not to eat it/ take it out!) Add cooked chicken, any other veggies you'd like, and serve baked in a spaghetti, acorn or buttercup squash with copious amounts of black pepper and salt to taste. 

you can add any mild veggies you want, cauliflower, parsnips, zucchini, kale. Just cook and remove as with chicken.

FYI I am also not a measurer so be prudent with all the spices but anise and pepper, and slowly amp it up. 

I just made this one up this week to copy something my step dad makes. I'm so addicted to it that I'm going to roast a whole chicken like this tomorrow night and cream kale into the sauce. MOUTH WATERING. If you're not into liquorice or strong basilic flavours, this is not the recipe for you!

ANISE CREAM CHICKEN
An absolutely delicious fall chicken dish, I love to serve it with zucchini and yellow peppers in half a roasted acorn or buttercup squash. So filling. So good.
4 chicken thighs chopped
1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Onions
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp Raw Organic Coconut Butter
2 clove Garlic, Whole
1 cup Chicken broth
1 tbsp Bacon Grease drippings
Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, cracked peppercorns, himalayan or other clean salt, maybe some sweet paprika for colour!
DIRECTIONS
brown chicken in coconut oil. set aside. add the bacon drippings to pan with mince onions. Add 3 parts cinnamon, to one part clove, two parts nutmeg and a small pile of star anise add broth or water when onions are cooked. Add coconut milk, broth, and coconut butter and simmer until reduced and fragrant. When you've reached your level of anise flavour take the stars out with a slotted spoon (you can also set the sauce aside with the anise in it to seep the flavour over night or serve with the anise as a decoration, but remind diners not to eat it/ take it out!) Add cooked chicken, any other veggies you'd like, and serve baked in a spaghetti, acorn or buttercup squash with copious amounts of black pepper and salt to taste. 
you can add any mild veggies you want, cauliflower, parsnips, zucchini, kale. Just cook and remove as with chicken.
FYI I am also not a measurer so be prudent with all the spices but anise and pepper, and slowly amp it up. 

This sounds amazing! Will definitely have to try!

Turkey Breakfast Meatloaf:

Heat oven to 375

1lb ground turkey

1/3 cup coconut flour

1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup organic applesauce (unsweetened)

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4th cup dried apricots (unsulphured) minced

1 Tbsp dried sage

1 Tbsp dried rosemary (fresh also an option)

1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix all these in a large bowl

grease one bread loaf pan with cononut oil or lard

put ground turkey mix into the loaf pan, make it nice and flat on top.

The drizzle 2 Tbsp 100% Orange juice over the top

Bake at 375 F for 45 min covered with foil, then uncover and bake for 15 more min until brown on top.

Let it cool, slice and serve! I take this to work for breakfast with butternut squash or mashed sweet potatoes or pumpkin! Its really good.

I also made it once with 1/2 cup chopped sweet potatoe mixed in with the turkey.

This one is Autoimmune Protocol friendly!

I just made this from what I had in the kitchen today but it turned out GREAT:

1.5# grass fed stew meat

~16 oz coconut CREAM (or full fat coconut milk in the can, I guess, but it won't be as rich) not cream of coconut

carrots

onion

mushrooms

hot and regular curry powder (maybe 1T total)

cinnamon stick

salt

Browned stew meat in ghee/salt.  Remove and set aside.  Brown chopped onion and carrots in pot.  Add curry powders and cinnamon stick and stir 1 minute.  Add meat with juices, coconut cream and enough water to barely cover.  I baked this in the oven for 2.5 hours.  I wasn't home, but the last hour could be done without the lid to maybe thicken it up a bit.  Post Whole30 I will use tapioca flour or arrowroot to thicken the sauce.  This was awesome!

Also made pressure cooker chicken soup:

3.5lb fryer or roaster, giblets removed

2-3t kosher salt

Put in 7qt pressure cooker.  Add enough water to barely cover chicken.  Secure lid.  Heat to high and reduce; cook 45mins.  Quick release pressure and remove chicken.  Cool and remove meat.  Set aside

I sautéed celery, onion and carrot in a dutch oven.  Add bay leaf. Strained chicken broth through cheesecloth into pot and simmered until veggies starting to get soft.   Add handfuls of spinach and wilt.  Stir in the chicken and reheat.

This literally takes a little over an hour to make a soup and stock that tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen.

Well, I did spend all day in the kitchen but I made several dishes.  I'm working all week…

I LOVE pot roast and stews when fall rolls around. 

Today I made a pot roast in the crock pot. I used a bone-in shoulder roast, but any roast would work

2-3 lb. beef roast

about 2 lbs. carrots, cut into about 1-2" pieces

2 onions

4 ribs celery

1 lb. brussels sprouts

1/2 small can tomato paste

2 cups home made bone broth

2 sprigs each fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme

salt and pepper to taste

First, I seasoned the roast with salt and pepper, then seared on all sides in a hot pan. While the meat is searing, I diced the onions and celery and placed them on the bottom of the crock pot and topped with 1 sprig of each herb. Then I placed the meat ontop of the onion and celery and surrounded it with carrots and topped with the remaining herbs. In the pan vacated by the beef, add the tomato paste and let it get kind of caramelized, then deglaze with the bone broth. Add the broth and tomato paste mixture to the crock pot, add a healthy sprinkle of salt and pepper, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. About an hour before it's done, add the brussels sprouts.

Once cooked, remove the meat, carrots, and brussels sprouts to a bowl or plate and discard the stems from the herbs. Pour the juices and the onions and celery into a pan and bring to a rolling boil and reduce, stirring occasionally so the veggies don't stick to the bottom and burn. Once reduced by about half, pour into a regular blender, food processor, or blend with a hand blender in the pan and puree, Salt to taste. Pour over the meat, carrots, and brussels sprouts and enjoy.

For any brussel sprouts lovers, I have gotten hooked on slicing them up thinly and pan frying them with lots of things and topping with some type of compliant vinaigrette.  Even simple bacon, onion, garlic cooked up in a cast iron pan and then tossing the sliced brussels in for a few minutes until they turn bright green.  Top with sea salt, pepper and some balsamic vinegar.  Add a handful of pistachios and/or dried cherries/cranberries if you can find sugar free options and it is AWESOME.  Get creative!

I make this once a week.

From "Well Fed":  Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremolata.

My changes: I add a LOT more onion, carrots, and celery in bigger chunks, so there is a higher vegetable-to-meat ratio. It's good enough without the orange gremolata.

I make this once a week.

From "Well Fed":  Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremolata.

My changes: I add a LOT more onion, carrots, and celery in bigger chunks, so there is a higher vegetable-to-meat ratio. It's good enough without the orange gremolata.

YES!   I also make those changes.  This is a fantastic recipe that the rest of my family will eat without looking strangely at me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived