Talk to me about whole30 + cycling

Meg Poore Tuttle

Hello, everyone. I appreciate your posts. I have been reading these and the Paleo Athlete. I am on Day 22 of the program though I had pressed restart after non intentionally eating something off course so my body feels like it may be between there and my my initial go at the program (@ day 34). I do long distance road and mountain biking. I feel like my body is closer to being fat adapted though it has a bit to go. Before shorter workouts I would usually eat an egg and a fat. Before longer workouts, I saw someone note that they add in a carb before (and during) like sweet potatoes or Larabars. Will eating carbs before slow down my body's ability to become fat adapted? I survived on GUs and similar snacks before Whole30 so I would like to be intentional about giving my body what is best in the long run while also making sure I have enough energy to keep the pedals moving. Thank you!

I am a long distance cyclist, normally riding 50-90 miles at 18-20 mph.  I have been having trouble fueling.  My legs are dead.  I see the posts about eating enough carbs, and wondered the same thing, about hindering my body's ability to become fat adapted.  I have no idea what to eat now.  Or how much or when.  I want to do W30 and I want to keep riding with my team.  Help!

• Administrators

I am a long distance cyclist, normally riding 50-90 miles at 18-20 mph.  I have been having trouble fueling.  My legs are dead.  I see the posts about eating enough carbs, and wondered the same thing, about hindering my body's ability to become fat adapted.  I have no idea what to eat now.  Or how much or when.  I want to do W30 and I want to keep riding with my team.  Help!

There is some adjustment and "dead legs" that happens during that adjustment.  What day are you on?

For information on fuelling you can check out Ultrarunnergirl's blog (she's another moderator here) or Stephanie Gaudreau (Stupid Easy Paleo) as she has lots of information on fuelling for athletes.

Archived