Which Magnesium to Take

organiclover

Hi,

I am getting a little constipated and would like to take some magnesium at night. I read that everyone likes Natural Calm, but is this one preferred over pill forms due to the quality? I am not sure I like powder and may prefer a pill form unless Natural Calm is heads above the rest. Can you please advise?

Previously, I was using Bluebonnet's Magnesium Citrate. Now, I noticed there are a lot of different magnesium forms, so I do not really know which one I should be getting. Which is the best form to take? 

Thanks!

• Moderators

Magnesium carbonate is probably better than citrate. To check that out in detail, you might want to look at the article about magnesium at http://examine.com/supplements/

I like Natural Calm and many people like the fizzy drink you get mixing powder with water, but pills or capsules are fine too. You could go old school and take an Epsom's Salt bath and let your body absorb the magnesium through your skin.

I am in UK and take Doctors Best High Absorption 100% Chelated Magnesium. Recommened to me by someone who knows his supplements. 

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Elemental/dp/B000BD0RT0

This is the kind I take too. I did a lot of research on the Internet and decided on this one as the best choice. It's working quite well for me.

I bought my Natural Calm from Amazon. The Magnesium I was using, and tolerated well, was not compliant. I started with 1/2tsp. The flavor is not that bad. Their website says to mix it into hot water for the proper reaction to occur, the fizz, to get it in the best absorbable form. Then I add ice to cool it down and drink. I plan to increase after a week on each amount until I hit the optimum amount.

I am now taking Jigsaw brand ( from Amazon.com) slow release.  It helps keep the mag in your system longer - you do have to take four tabs. for 500mg - small and easily swallowed (I have trouble swallowing some of those big mag pills).  Jigsaw a;sphas B6 which aids in getting the mag. absorbed......  I also like Source Naturals Magnesium Serene - a powder - 800mg. (Whole Foods has this and the Natural Calm)  I find if I am under a lot of stress - if I take the 2 teaspoons recommended.......it helps me to relax and return my mind to a calmer level - it does have a laxative effect on me whereas the Jigsaw does not.  Depending on what your body needs - I have found that magnesium malate to work the best for me --- finding it has been such an issue that I have started the Jigsaw brand in hopes it will be an easy replacement.  As has been said many times before, each one of us are different.  I have found that in order to keep leg cramps away I use 4 tabs in the morning and evening - it is helping my sleep as well.  Hope this helps.   

I've been taking Magnesium Glycinate. It works slower but it causes less problems that other Magnesiums can cause.

And Epsom Salt baths are the bomb! I can't wait till the weather gets cooler so I can be comfortable soaking in a hot tub.

I've been taking Magnesium Glycinate. It works slower but it causes less problems that other Magnesiums can cause.

And Epsom Salt baths are the bomb! I can't wait till the weather gets cooler so I can be comfortable soaking in a hot tub.

I thought magnesium baths were supposed to be warm, not hot. They promote sweating at a lowish temp so hot may be too hot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I take magnesium glycinate. I find it to be MUCH easier to absorb. I tried natural calm and thought the flavor was disgusting, and I could only take about half the recommended dose (recommended is about 350mg) before getting diarrhea. I switched to mag glycinate tablets and I can take 600mg without any diarrhea or loose stools. It helps with my heart palpitations, anxiety, and muscle twitches a great deal. I take three 200mg tablets a day, one with each meal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm behind - what is the reason for taking magnesium supplements?

I've actually been taking Calcium Citrate/Magnesium/Vitamin D3 - anyone know how this is? The serving size is 4 caplets, though I take 2 only because I figure I'm getting calcium throughout the day from veggies.

Vitamin D3 800IU

Calcium (calcium citrate) 1000mg

Magnesium (magnesium aspartate) 400mg

This is per the serving size of 4 caplets.

Suggestions?

I'm behind - what is the reason for taking magnesium supplements?

I've actually been taking Calcium Citrate/Magnesium/Vitamin D3 - anyone know how this is? The serving size is 4 caplets, though I take 2 only because I figure I'm getting calcium throughout the day from veggies.

Vitamin D3 800IU

Calcium (calcium citrate) 1000mg

Magnesium (magnesium aspartate) 400mg

This is per the serving size of 4 caplets.

Suggestions?

Magnesium is a vital mineral used to regulate nerve impulses to the muscles, general muscle function, bone development and maintenance, as well as thousands of other functions in the body, and most people are deficient in it. It helps calm you for more restful sleep, and in high enough doses, can serve as a laxative. I take 600mg a day to help with my anxiety and heart palpitations.

Magnesium is a vital mineral used to regulate nerve impulses to the muscles, general muscle function, bone development and maintenance, as well as thousands of other functions in the body, and most people are deficient in it. It helps calm you for more restful sleep, and in high enough doses, can serve as a laxative. I take 600mg a day to help with my anxiety and heart palpitations.

Do you know about magnesium aspartate that's in the calcium I take? Do you know if it has the same benefits? I keep reading that people are taking different kinds of magnesium...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not supposed to take calcium supplements (heart disease risk). Most of the magnesium supps in calcum tablets are supposed to help absorb the calcium. Instead I take VItamin D3 and lots of magnesium, which helps lay down bone.

I was incredibly deficient in magnesium and had no idea, I used to get insane leg cramps and other symptoms of deficiency but not one doctor ever mentioned magnesium.

I am in Australia and tried a couple of brands of magnesium until my order of Natural Calm arrived from (USA) via Western Australia.  I tried it last night and I like it, its fizzy and a bit stronger than the other fizzy brand I used, I noticed a difference in my bodys reaction with Natural Calm straight away.

• 1 month later...

I'm in Chile and having a hard time finding the right magnesium. No Magnesium Citrate, Glycinate or other -ate in sight. No Epsom salt. I've found Magnesium "Cloruro" crystals and Magnesium Oxide pills. Does anybody know if those are ok?

Tom, I realize Magnesium Carbonate is the powder climbers use to dry their hands. This I can find. Can you really mix with water and drink it?  :o

Magnesium is best absorbed via the skin, so I would think the "Cloruro" crystals the best choice from what you have available. Magnesium Oxide pills would be ok, though. I would not eat the powder climbers use--unless it is marketed as a supplement, I would not trust that it is pure enough to injest (it would likely have other minerals and contaminants and inconsistent concentration of magnesium).

Topically, I have been using this magnesium oil spray, which is quite effective: http://www.ancient-minerals.com/products/magnesium-oil/

Archived