Reintroduction question

alm613

Hello! I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't know exactly where it should go. I'm on day 23 of my Whole30, and planning my reintroduction. In the book you mention experimenting with the different food groups on Days 1, 4, 7 and 10. But I'm wondering- is it just that ONE day with the food group, then the following two as perfect Whole30 before reintroducing a new group? Or is it ok to have dairy, remaining Whole30 compliant otherwise, on days 1-3? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I was wondering about this too -- the way I got it was like this, but please someone tell me if I don't have it right:

Day 1 - Introduce something new (say, dairy)

Day 2 - W30

Day 3 - W30

Day 4 - Introduce something else new (say, grains), but no dairy

Day 5 - W30

Day 6 - W30

Day 7 - Introduce something else (say, beans), but no grains or dairy

Day 8 - W30

Day 9 - W30

Day 10 - Introduce ... (sugar? artificial sweetener? scary...maybe not)

Oh, and it sounds like maybe we are supposed to REALLY re-introduce the new food group ... not just a splash of cream in your morning coffee, but different forms of dairy throughout the reintroduction day. Is this right, someone?

I'm on day 18 and have the same question. Also, I'm wondering when to re-introduce small amounts of alcohol (mainly red wine) and dark chocolate. I have missed those two things the most, but honestly, it has felt great to get away from those bad habits.

Sara

Hey Ann, that's exactly right. The two W30 days between the reintroduction days are little resets so your experimentation is as controlled as possible. Also, some folks won't have immediate reactions to problematic foods. It can take a day or two

Sara, I plan to reintroduce dairy on Day 31 (I miss my coffee), and then red wine on Day 34 - I planned my W30 around a good friend's wedding, just so I could have a glass or two of wine at her reception. I guess Days 35-36 will be W30, and it will be interesting for me to see how the wine affects my appetite, energy, sleep, cravings, mood, etc. Once I know fairly clearly how wine affects me, it will help me decide how often I want to imbibe (or not) going forward -- one thing for sure, I do not expect to go back to my nightly habit ... I feel way too good now.

Not so good a night of sleep last night. Had a little trouble falling to sleep, and woke repeatedly (eat least once very couple of hours), and had my first weird food dream. I was at a Chinese buffet type restaurant, and someone who worked there (with broken English) was trying to help me find something W30 friendly. She kept trying to give me things laden with sugary sauce. Then the person turned into my ex-boyfriend, and was irritated with me for being weird about the food, and I lied and tried to convince him it was a diet the doctor put me on because of my Very Serious problems with seasonal allergies. He didn't believe me. Hah!! First W30 dream of my journey.

Wonder if it was the chicken sausage, or the Bubbies pickle (which I continued to nibble on right up until bedtime -- I know I know)...

Thanks for the responses! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who needed clarification :)

I'm guessing that things like alcohol, sugary carbs (like maple/brown sugar Quaker oatmeal, not Cookie Crisp!) and soy come later on?

Ok, I'm hoping one of the moderators can touch on this one- I was planning on doing the reintroduction by the book- dairy first, gluten grains next, etc. But I am going out to lunch with someone on the first day of my reintroduction, and the place she chose is a bakery that specializes in sandwiches. As in, you only go there for sandwiches. And don't order them in lettuce, or you look ridiculous. She is doing me a huge favor by meeting me for lunch (she is a potential job lead), so I feel it's only right to let her choose the venue, no complaints from me.

My question is: Can day 1 be gluten grains? I can have a sandwich without cheese there but can't avoid the bread. Or is there a true reason that dairy comes first? Thanks so much!

Of course you can do grains first! It's just an example.

ISWF recommends starting with dairy because in the paleo context, dairy tends to be the biggest gray area. It has some good stuff in it of you're one of those people that tolerates it well, so it would make sense to reintroduce it sooner rather than later so you know of it's one of those things you can keep in your rotation.

Gluten grains, on the other hand, have no supporting faction in the paleo/primal land trying to say that there's anything sorta healthy about them, even I'd you DO tolerate them.

That's how I think about it, but it's definitely a choice. What are the things you miss the most and what potential negatives are you okay with making in regards to your health vs. quality of life.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely, thanks Renee! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't totally blowing the plan. I was planning on seeing how I react to bread eventually- I'm not 100% sure I want to bring it back, but I'd like to be able to say I tried it and it made me feel gross in case people get on my case about not eating it anymore. It's nice to know I can switch up the reintroduction as long as I keep to the rules. Now all I can do is hope and pray that I don't react badly to it while out to eat!

• 1 month later...

OK this may be a simple questions and I believe this is the right topic, getting ready to COMPLETE my Whole 30 tonight (YEAH!) and then tomorrow begin the re-intro process, my question is once I begin dairy for day 1-3 when I begin whole grains on day 4 am I supposed to leave the dairy that isn't causing me issues in my eating OR leave the dairy out and only focus on whole grains (and then each other groups that comes afterwards).

OK this may be a simple questions and I believe this is the right topic, getting ready to COMPLETE my Whole 30 tonight (YEAH!) and then tomorrow begin the re-intro process, my question is once I begin dairy for day 1-3 when I begin whole grains on day 4 am I supposed to leave the dairy that isn't causing me issues in my eating OR leave the dairy out and only focus on whole grains (and then each other groups that comes afterwards).

If you go to the second and third posts in this thread, you will find the answer. I read the book and didn't get that method, so I must not have paid attention. Makes sense though.

If you go to the second and third posts in this thread, you will find the answer. I read the book and didn't get that method, so I must not have paid attention. Makes sense though.

Thanks for the reply, when I did my initial search it landed me in the middle of this thread but now I see the moderators response to Ann's question which was the same as mine....All set now and ready to go.

Archived