Stuck in a veggie rut

Revived

Im stuck in a vegetable rut. The biggest issue is that I'm becoming overly dependent on starchy veg and now having problems coming up with meals that sound appealing without them.

For instance, what can I do about chili? I made a great chili with sweet potato and I loved it but if I take out the sweet potato, how can I bulk it up a little? Besides just having a side salad, how can I add more veg to the meal?

I know there's tons of resources out there with recipes. I'm just getting overwhelmed with information overload in that sense.

What are your go-to ideas for adding veg to your meals? Besides starchy veg?

I typically do:

cauliflower mash or rice

Sautéed zucchini and yellow squash

Spaghetti squash

Roasted okra

I just need more variety but I'm stuck. Help anyone?

I don't think any of the typical options you've mentioned are that starchy (not cauli, zucchini, squash, spag squash anyway - never had okra!)

I love sautéed cabbage and steamed vegies - broccoli, beans - coated in coconut oil and sprinkled with sea salt. Also balsamic roasted/grilled eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms, broc, cauli, Brussel sprouts, onion etc. are delicious warm or cold in salad.

Ratatouille type sauces can have meat added, or eggs baked in to them easily. Its easy to make a big batch then add different things for different tastes

If I make chillis, stews etc I always fill them with mushrooms, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant, tomato etc. they end up being more vegie than meat!

I really like anything roasted in the fall.  My favorite way to eat cauliflower is roasted with curry powder and salt.  I'm eating steak fajitas today with peppers and onions.  I added some field greens and tomato to up the veggies.  Then, I squeezed a little lime juice, olive oil and balsamic.  

I sometimes make a pureed soup.  I roast a bunch of veggies just until they are starting to char.  I then saute some onion and garlic in a pot with plenty of bacon grease.  Add the rest of the veggies and broth.  I add cumin, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper.  When it's cooked a bit, I puree it with an immersion blender.  I leave a little chunky sometimes.  My husband calls it "no chew" soup.  

Roasted parsnips! Cut into fries, coat with ghee and salt, bake until golden brown and slightly crisp.

You can add a handful of chopped spinach to chili or soup and I kinda blends in.

I second the roasted cauli! I like olive oil, garlic powder and S&P. 425 for 25 mins or so

I also enjoy sautéed bell pepper medley with caramelized onions. You can top with beef or chicken and avocado (fajita plate)

For Fall:

Sauteed purple cabbage with green apple in ghee or coconut oil whatever spices you want: cumin, coriander...

Sautee bacon then brown brussel sprouts in bacon grease and crumble bacon on Brussels

Sauteed jicama, carrots and garlic in olive oil, ghee or refined coc oil and salt (just made it for lunch, pretty good)

Nobody mentioned greens other than spinach! Definitely want to get your greens in!!

Sauteed kale with garlic

Sauteed Swiss chard with onion and balsalmic vinegar

Collards

Roasted Beets

Roasted tomatoes and asparagus...yum! Not Fall veggies though

I make a lot of soups in the fall, so veggies are built in.  I also serve every meal with a salad.

Here are the true side items I've served this week:

ratatouille w/ zucchini, eggplant, tomato, onion

roasted green beans

sauteed bok choy

kale with bacon

I made all of these after work, so no major prep work required.

My breakfast is usually a combo of sautéed greens, mushrooms and onions. Plus meat and eggs. The Greens include spinach, chard, kales, shredded broccoli (i find a bag of combo shredded broccoli, carrot etc that is usually meant for coleslaw and add it to sauttees and salads)

Roasted veggies is another of my favorites. You can roast almost anything! Beets, carrots, broccoli, garlic, onions, rutabagas, turnips, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, brussel sprouts, every kind of squash mixed in. Just olive oil, salt and your favorite herbs. Oven at 400 and turn and toss half way through.

And stir-fry... All of the above! Just cooked differently

At one point, I never wanted to see another green bean!

It's fall here, so root veggies are available. I've been roasting beets and then keeping them in the fridge so I can just heat them up as a veggie. Today I bought a kombuchu (?) squash. Butternut Squash is also a goodie. You have to branch out and try new things.

I really like anything roasted in the fall.  My favorite way to eat cauliflower is roasted with curry powder and salt.  I'm eating steak fajitas today with peppers and onions.  I added some field greens and tomato to up the veggies.  Then, I squeezed a little lime juice, olive oil and balsamic.  

I sometimes make a pureed soup.  I roast a bunch of veggies just until they are starting to char.  I then saute some onion and garlic in a pot with plenty of bacon grease.  Add the rest of the veggies and broth.  I add cumin, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper.  When it's cooked a bit, I puree it with an immersion blender.  I leave a little chunky sometimes.  My husband calls it "no chew" soup.

This is a great idea. I find that I like "no chew" soups a lot better. Definitely going to try this. Thanks!

Thanks for these great ideas everyone. Definitely some stuff here I'm going to try.

When you sauté greens like kale, does that keep in the fridge pretty well if you cook a bunch ahead of time? I haven't really tried the sautéed greens thing because I guess I'm a little afraid of the texture. It seems like it would be soggy and mushy. Any advice about that? I know I'm just being picky and probably just need to get over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Veggies are hard for me to meal plan as my family is pretty happy with just steamed veggies. I did discover that my daughter will happily eat a ton of beets if I slice them thin and fry them in coconut oil. Not sure how Whole30 compliant that is, but she's 7 so I'm just happy she eats them!

Sometimes my favorite way to serve veggies is to make a beautiful (yet simple) raw veggie tray. I just cut celery and carrots into sticks, toss on some cherry tomatoes, raw red cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi,  peppers, and sugar snaps. It's not fancy, but sometimes I'm amazed at how much the kiddo and hubby will eat when I set the plate of veggies on the table while everything else is cooking. 

An added bonus is that whatever doesn't get eaten gets put into "veggie bags" which are individualized for each family member with their favorites. 

Thanks for these great ideas everyone. Definitely some stuff here I'm going to try.

When you sauté greens like kale, does that keep in the fridge pretty well if you cook a bunch ahead of time? I haven't really tried the sautéed greens thing because I guess I'm a little afraid of the texture. It seems like it would be soggy and mushy. Any advice about that? I know I'm just being picky and probably just need to get over it.

I often make a batch of braised kale and carrots and eat it as part of breakfast a few days in a row.  I think it reheats fine, and I've never had a problem with the smell over-taking my fridge.  I don't use garlic, so maybe that's part of it?  I just saute some sliced carrots and onions in ghee and/or coconut oil until starting to soften, add chopped kale and some chicken broth or water (maybe about 1/4-1/2 cup?), season with a bit of salt and cover and let braise for about 15 minutes.  It's my take on nomnompaleo's pressure cooker braised kale and carrots.  I like to eat it with some homemade sausages.  I make a version of the maple-bacon meatballs on paleomg.com.  (Leave out maple syrup if on W30.)  I tend to buy plain old ground pork instead of sausage and season it with some ground sage and chopped rosemary.  That's the best part about making your own sausages - you get them the way you like them!

Archived