Nervous about a bike ride...

ejulian

Hey everyone!

I'm on day 20 of my first Whole30, and coming from a background of fairly clean eating, so it hasn't been too tough so far. I'm nervous about tomorrow, though, because my partner & I have planned a 50ish mile bike ride, the longest I've ever done. I'm worried about awakening my Sugar Dragon again with things like dried fruit & barely-compliant Larabars, but I also don't wanna bonk! What's a girl to do?? Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks & good health to you all!

Thanks!! That's good to know... I wish I had time to do my own larabars, but alas, not for this ride... some of the fuel I was thinking of bringing: raw almonds, dried figs, banana, sweet potato, almond butter... Maybe I'll stash a compliant Larabar in my seat bag so my partner doesn't worry :-)

I found some baby food in foil packets that fit the template that I bought to try on my next ride too.

What did you eat previously on long rides? The Gu and power bar type things? (That's what I used to have)

I think you will be fine, as long as you are not racing and can go slow if you need to. By day 20 I managed a 35 mile ride with better than average speeds.

Have fun! I remember my first long ride! Got up to a century ride back in 2010. Will be working towards that again for next summer.

Larabars, baby food in squeezable pouches, plantain chips (although a lot of these have palm oil in them, so you need to be careful) and nuts were my foods of choice during my long rides this past year.  I completed a 160 mile ride across Indiana in the worst conditions in years and stayed Whole 30 compliant throughout (expect for said aforementioned palm oil--although I wasn't doing a Whole30).  I had a lot of people telling me I had lost my freakin' mind trying to do this without waffles/sandwiches/cookies etc., but I stayed the course! Just follow the old adage of eating before you're hungry and drinking before you're thirsty; I think that's especially key if you're going to eat clean and attempt endurance events or rides!

Thanks, everyone!! I ended up bringing raw almonds, dried figs (no added sugar), a banana, almond butter, and about a quarter of a sweet potato, & I did fine & felt great! The "adage of eating before you're hungry and drinking before you're thirsty" is very smart, thank you, Robin! And Sheba-Kitty, next time I'm totally going to follow your advice & make my own fruit-nut bars... I've done it before but I just didn't have time! Previously I wasn't too bad with fuel while riding- I made my own protein bars without sugar, but they aren't compliant because they contain whey protein! I think I allayed my BF's fears of me bonking, a bit, & I'm looking forward to my next ride!! :-)

Archived