I need some single sentence talking points...

kaybee

• Moderators

You don't need to quote the science... the easiest thing to say is that for 30 days you're choosing to eat this way to remove known inflammatory foods (and meat is not one), so you can reintroduce those foods and see how they affect you.  You're not expected to educate your tribe on the science so if they want more info, send them to us or to the book It Starts With Food which is extremely informative.  Likely they don't actually want the info, they just want to cut you down so that you bend to what they are comfortable with... so I wouldn't waste a ton of energy educating... just state your reasons for doing it (the foot pain is an amazing non scale victory and a very good example) and then change the subject...

Sorry you were frustrated... keep going Beth... you're doing the best thing you can do for yourself and sometimes that makes our friends and family feel discomfort because it causes them to look at their own choices... don't take that on....

None of us have to justify how we choose to eat.

If I want to end the conversation, I tend to stick with "I choose to eat this way because I feel better when I do" and "it's my choice". These are really hard points to argue with without sounding rude.

Don't let people drag you into debates you don't want to be having, some people are really not interested in learning anything they just want to argue.

Some people have real questions, but social context is also important, if you're out at dinner, do you really want to be having a food Q&A or just hang out?

I've been gluten free and dairy free for awhile, and= when people ask I say I'm working through some food sensitivities.

If they keep asking, I usually say something like "I'm not eating X and Y. Honestly, it's kind of boring. I am boring myself talking about it. Let's talk about something else!"

No one interrogates me about my food choices.  They're not in suspense with my meals.  

I don't make up any  illness or food allergies.  Food Freedom requires truth.  Authentic pain and sickness is the wake-up call that keeps waking us up to things we continue to ignore.  

I continue to remind myself of where I've come from.  It came with no rewards.  Not one.

It was painful. My joints and feet hurt.  I wore long coats and sweaters in the summertime.

I would hide in my car or drive home if I didn't want eyes looking me up and down.  There were no rewards but misery.   

I'll look anyone in the eye and tell them my truth. 

• 2 months later...

My husband who has been paleo for years (lost 50 lbs and his cholesterol and all his blood work #s are amazingly perfect) 

responds to people who offer him something he doesn't eat with a "oh, I don't eat that" no explanation, no big long conversation, just a simple I don't eat that.  It's been his mantra and it works for him.  People stop asking if he wants cake or cookies or ice cream pretty quickly.  

1 hour ago, MrsZimm13 said:

My husband who has been paleo for years (lost 50 lbs and his cholesterol and all his blood work #s are amazingly perfect) 

responds to people who offer him something he doesn't eat with a "oh, I don't eat that" no explanation, no big long conversation, just a simple I don't eat that.  It's been his mantra and it works for him.  People stop asking if he wants cake or cookies or ice cream pretty quickly.  

This is exactly what I say and it works.

"No thank you" works just fine for me. I'm an adult. I don't care what others eat. I expect others not to care what I eat. (And really, most people are too focused on themselves to even notice.)

Like MeadowLily, I don't allow anyone to interrogate me about my food. In turn, I offer no opinion or judgment about theirs. (I never offer advice on anything unless explicitly asked for my opinion.)

50 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

"No thank you" works just fine for me. I'm an adult. I don't care what others eat. I expect others not to care what I eat. (And really, most people are too focused on themselves to even notice.)

Like MeadowLily, I don't allow anyone to interrogate me about my food. In turn, I offer no opinion or judgment about theirs. (I never offer advice on anything unless explicitly asked for my opinion.)

The alcoholic gets road weary refusing drinks and come'on..have just one, it won't hurt you.

They don't have to live in my body and I'm not living through theirs. I've reached the point that no one shoves food down my throat and I cannot worry if it hurts their feelings.  I have one relative who's asked me if I would eat it all back so they can feel comfortable. Nuh huh.  Believe it or not, there are even people who want to watch you eat whatever so they can get full by proxy.  

Thanks anyway...but I'll just El Paso. 

Archived