Why not pancakes?

Nikknak

Ok so I understand why overall but I'm so excited to eat the paleo way and I'm sooooooo ready for some more options. I want a pancake! Not the buttered and syrup sticky sweet pancakes I used to eat. I want a pancake with fresh blueberries made with coconut flour!!! Tomorrow will be day 19 and I'm excited for this to be over. Not Togo back to old habits but to fully get to explore a new way of eating! Which then that makes me ask, since I'm so excited to eat better etc, why do I have to finish the 30 days, why not just embrace the change now and stop feeling like I'm stuck in 30 days?? I don't ever want to go back to the way I was eating. I totally freak out now when I read labels and see ingredients I can't pronounce. This has really been such an eye opener

A paleofied version of a pancake is still a pancake. By recreating them, you're simply fulfilling a desire to eat pancakes but feeling less guilty about it. Are they the most nutritious thing you could eat? Definitely not!

That you want your whole 30 to be over so you can explore your new way of eating (by making pancakes or other similar paleofied treats/meals?) is probably exactly why you need the full 30 days! These treat foods aren't things you need regularly, I'd suggest sticking to the 30 days and learn to love how you feel when you fuel your body with delicious, tasty whole foods without needing to recreate or substitute foods from your previous way of eating.

No I don't want it to be over so I can have a pancake so to speak. I think it's more I'm just having trouble feeling so confined. Maybe I want the pancake because I can't have it and not really because I want that particular food. Does that make any sense?

No I don't want it to be over so I can have a pancake so to speak. I think it's more I'm just having trouble feeling so confined. Maybe I want the pancake because I can't have it and not really because I want that particular food. Does that make any sense?

Id suggest exploring new recipes and expanding your horizons if you feel confined - there are hundreds and thousands of things you can create that are compliant!

(FWIW, I've had "compliant" pancakes since my whole 60 finished.....they were nowhere near as fulfilling as I remember, mentally/ emotionally or nutritionally)

If you're feeling confined, take a look at the Paleo Matrix Robb Wolf created. http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/thePaleoSolution_FoodMatrix.pdf

While not an exhaustive list, it's a great way to illustrate many possible food combinations while eating Paleo.

• Moderators

I could eat a new meal every day for the rest of my life. I've been cooking long enough to recognize how easy it is to make new stuff. I've gotten to where I like embracing old favorites too often to make something new every day. I don't get around to old favorites as often as I would like.

I'm not currently doing a Whole30. I just made paleo pancakes for the first time recently. I was really excited to make them for the same reasons you've raised here - they sounded yummy, and it would be very different than my usual breakfast. Can I just say ... they are nothing like real pancakes. The idea was better than the actual pancakes. I'm not sure if I'll ever be inclined to make them again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop by and say they should make a page specifically to post recipes. I agree with Tom, I have eaten more variety since I've been on the Whole 30 than before. If you want any recipes, let me know, I'll post links!

That being said though, if you are not supposed to recreate normal "bad" food and just paleo-fy it (such as pancakes), where is the line drawn? Can I have spaghetti squash and meat sauce? Paleo chili and sweet potato fries? Homemade paleo ranch dressing to dip my crispy oven-fried wings in? Are all these things just swypo?

There *is* a recipe sharing thread :)

Cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash & (homemade) sweet potato fries are not regarded as SWYPO because they're pure vegetable.

Although if you had some deep emotional attachment to the "traditional" versions of those foods, it could well be SWYPO and possibly something you would reconsider including on your own whole 30

Oh, thanks! I need to go find that recipe thread now :)  No, but I didn't really have an emotional attachment to pancakes either, so I was just wondering. My husband might be getting addicted to the fries though, yum yum! And yes, everything is homemade, that's actually been the hardest part of this.

Oh, thanks! I need to go find that recipe thread now :) No, but I didn't really have an emotional attachment to pancakes either, so I was just wondering. My husband might be getting addicted to the fries though, yum yum! And yes, everything is homemade, that's actually been the hardest part of this.

Pancakes are also generally accompanied by fruit, syrup, other not so nutritious choices, or would push healthier choices off the plate. Zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, mash etc are nutritious choices accompanied by other nutritious choices of protein and fats.

I like to make pancakes with spices and herbs to accompany soups and curries. They can be a bit like a naan bread with the right flvourings. I haven't made them so far (day 38) but can see I may want them with a bowl of soup soon as the weather gets cooler (in UK).

Are they ok used like this? I promise not to have them with fruit and coconut milk ;)

I like to make pancakes with spices and herbs to accompany soups and curries. They can be a bit like a naan bread with the right flvourings. I haven't made them so far (day 38) but can see I may want them with a bowl of soup soon as the weather gets cooler (in UK).

Are they ok used like this? I promise not to have them with fruit and coconut milk ;)

When you aren't doing a whole 30, you can eat what you like! :P

It sounds weird, but I've dipped roast cauliflower in soup before. And big pieces of thin cut roast sweet potato.

I don't have soup often as it doesn't really allow for a lot of protein consumption - I don't really like adding meat to my vegie soups :P

I like the sound of roasted cauliflower as a dipper. I'll try that. Thanks :)

Archived