The 10 Most Common Genetically Modified Foods

1Maryann

Thank you for posting that link. I was also not aware zucchini and squash were genetically modified.

While Bovine Somatotophin in milk is far from good, I would argue that it makes milk a genetically modified organism

The zucchini I grow must not be GMO because it has NO resistance to insects. I understand why they are doing this (it's incredibly hard to grow squash with the squash bugs and vine borers) but I don't want to ingest insecticides.

• 2 months later...

You know just because something is organic doesn't mean it's non GMO... That's a big misconception, especially since in the U.S., at least, labeling GMO isn't a requirement.

While GMO labeling isn't required, USDA Organic whole food items are non GMO

"The use of genetic engineering, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs), is prohibited in organic products. This means an organic farmer can't plant GMO seeds, an organic cow can't eat GMO alfalfa or corn, and an organic soup producer can't use any GMO ingredients. To meet the USDA organic regulations, farmers and processors must show they aren't using GMOs and that they are protecting their products from contact with prohibited substances, such as GMOs, from farm to table."

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/

There are a variety of labels used to identify products that have some organic ingredients mixed with non-organic/possible GMO ingredients. 

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004446

So, USDA Organic Fruits and Veggies and such are non-GMO, and Organic meat has feed that is free of GMOs.

I think :blink:  ;)  

I have been making it a practice to try and buy products that proudly state they are USDA Organic, and carry the symbol of the "Non-GMO Project".  I find it irritating to have to hunt for that info.  I spent too much time at Whole Foods one day, looking for eggs that were non-GMO.  "Cage free", "free range", etc don't mean anything in and of themselves.  They can be in a bare dirt pen eating GMO scratch and they are still cage free.  Then there's the "vegetarian diet with no antibiotics".   Well, chickens aren't vegetarians, the eat bugs.  And that vegetarian diet may be mostly GMO corn.

I finally found one type that was free-range and non-GMO, but I had to open the carton and read the insert to find that out.  Why make it so hard? 

Check this link out for a more in-depth (and scarier) discussion:

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/29/twenty-genetically-modified-foods-coming-to-your-plate/

Wow!  I'm already growing heirloom veggies, a couple of different species of avocado (to extend the growing season), and I've started a pineapple patch.  Looks like the preppers weren't crazy after all, even if they are doing it for different reasons.  I plan to become more proficient at hunting and fishing.  My eventual goal is to be as food-independent as possible.  This just reinforces it.

I have sent away for a few heirloom seed catalogs for planning purposes and hubby and I have been talking about moving so we have a larger backyard (our 'lot' including our condo is 44sq ft!) so we can grow veggies and have a little group of hens. We have already picked up a freezer for a 1/2 hog and 1/2 a beef--it is soo scary! I would love to raise goats/sheep/alpaca too for their wool for weaving purposes!

• 3 weeks later...

We sometimes find heirloom vegetables in the store. ^^ That's really nice, because I'm really sad, find so less variety on vegetables in the stores.. 
If anyone is from switzerland, here the side of ProSpeciRara , where one can get heirloom seeds: http://www.prospecierara.ch/ (I have no garden or so, so I can't plant any seeds, but a friend may plan to plant some, so I can get some vegetables from her.)

Archived