I've Been On Ketogenic Diet for 70 Days -- Where do I start?

Blossomthyme

I've been eating ketogenic for 70 days now.  My carbs were no more than 20gs per day, with minor deviations during the 70 days.  I think I'm keto adapted at this point but desire to get more carbs veggies in my diet.  My question is since I have basically already gone through a transformation with my eating, do I really need to do the Whole30 to get started eating the Paleo way?  That is my goal to eat the Paleo lifestyle and I'm new to it and I've been buying books, including cookbooks, and I'm not so sure what the ratios of my macronutrients should be although I found a helpful article on this.

My question is where do I start?

Thank you.

I think the whole 30 is a completely different "transformation". It involves what food you eat, and your mental/emotional association with eating.

Depending on what you were eating before, the type of food you were eating may not change a lot but your relationship with food will. Macronutrient ratios don't matter - counting/measuring yourself or your food isn't part of the whole 30!

I'd recommend it! Follow the template - you'll probably find it freeing! Before you start, read through the website and get a full understanding of what is compliant or not

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I've been eating high fat.  Animal fat like bacon, pork, chicken and fish.  No grains.  Basically, the Whole9 proscribed ingredients, with the exception of 1TBSP of heavy cream and some drops of stevia along with MCT oil in my coffee in the mornings.  I use coconut oil for cooking and have eaten only limited vegetables.  I keep a log on myfitnesspal over the past 70 days.  My goal  #1 is health and to lose body fat.  I'm basically healthy with no problems but I've always been into nutrition and fitness and I have some goals that I think can better be reached using the Paleo diet.  I want something that I want to stay with.  I have really adapted to the keto diet very well with lots of energy for my workout routine.  I've recently been changing things up by have a higher carb day to upregulate hormones and intermittent fasting per Paleo articles and books I've been reading.

What would Whole30 do for me as opposed to me just starting the Paleo way of eating, say, after someone has finshed the Whole30.  What comes after the Whole30?  I'd love not to log or keep track of macros or carbs or calories.  I'm growing tired of this, but it has its merits.  It does keep me accountable and I can see what foods I would have to eat lower amounts of like today, based on this article, http://paleodietlifestyle.com/question-of-macronutrient-ratios/, I'm over on my protein.  But not based on my own percentages I have been following.

Logging has been a good discipline though and I've never done that before in my life and that's how I gained weight.  It's good to know food's metric values even if to just keep in mind how much you're putting in your body and your body's response.  

I also want to change from a keto lifestyle because I've noticed I am not losing the body fat even with my workouts.  That's why I think I'm keto adapted and it is not something I feel I want to maintain for the long haul. 

Thanks for the link, this is exactly what I needed.  :-)

I have been on every diet known to mankind and spent decades of my life logging, weighing, measuring, counting points, counting carbs, counting fat grams, counting whatever you can imagine.  The most freeing part of W30 and after is that I learned to let go of both the bathroom scale and the food scale, and to the endless tedious counting.  Food should not be hard.  It is essential to life.  It is unnatural to spend so much of your time examining everything you put in your mouth.  This program has given me the guidelines I need to make good choices without any of that.  It is more of a mindset than a 'diet'.  So long a I follow the template, my body continues to let go of excess weight, and excess body fat.  It is a more natural way of eating.

"Food should not be hard. It is essential to life. It is unnatural to spend so much of your time examining everything you put in your mouth"

this x 1000!!!!!

(Still don't know how to do quotes correctly...)

(Still don't know how to do quotes correctly...)

Just hit 'quote', which quotes the entire passage, and then use your cursor and backspace to delete the parts you don't want, being careful not to let the cursor move up into the top shaded box where the date/time stamp is.

I agree with the others, food should not be a complex task. Food should be joyful! All this measuring and percentages and micronutrients frankly sounds a bit depressing. W30 is different in that you pay attention to how your body feels, rather than what the numbers say. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose? :)

• Moderators

The Whole30 is different than you have been doing. Here are some changes it sounds like you would have to make.

1) Stop logging your food in MyFitnessPal and tracking macronutrient ratios or calories.

2) Follow the Whole9 Meal Template, basically eating a palm-size portion of protein at each meal and filling the rest of your plate with veggies. Eat 3 meals per day minimum. Avoid snacking and consider increasing the size of meals if you get hungry between meals.

3) Eat as many starchy carbs as required to maintain performance and energy levels. Most people feel best eating some starchy carbs and so should. The Whole30 is not a ketogenic diet, although your food choices during a Whole30 are flexible enough to permit doing the 30 days in a ketogenic state.

You might want to consider my take on Whole30 eating as one approach to the Whole30 as a lifestyle: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/07/the-six-planks-of-tom-denhams-whole30-meal-planning-table/

• 1 year later...

The Whole30 is different than you have been doing. Here are some changes it sounds like you would have to make.

1) Stop logging your food in MyFitnessPal and tracking macronutrient ratios or calories.

2) Follow the Whole9 Meal Template, basically eating a palm-size portion of protein at each meal and filling the rest of your plate with veggies. Eat 3 meals per day minimum. Avoid snacking and consider increasing the size of meals if you get hungry between meals.

3) Eat as many starchy carbs as required to maintain performance and energy levels. Most people feel best eating some starchy carbs and so should. The Whole30 is not a ketogenic diet, although your food choices during a Whole30 are flexible enough to permit doing the 30 days in a ketogenic state.

You might want to consider my take on Whole30 eating as one approach to the Whole30 as a lifestyle: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/07/the-six-planks-of-tom-denhams-whole30-meal-planning-table/

People are using the ketogenic form of Whole30 in conjuction with their cancer recovery treatments .   Doctors are seeing the value of no sugars during the recovery process.  :rolleyes: 

Archived