Day 8 - Lessons I've learned

LeslieinOC

Today starts day 8. It's going well and no crazy cravings. I've learned a few things that I wanted to share with those getting ready to begin.

1. Don't pig out in the days prior to beginning, you'll only set yourself up for withdrawals that will make your first week hard. I was a pretty compliant primal eater so I haven't had cravings at all - none, nada!

2. Be prepared with lots of proteins precooked! I had made pork, beef, and chicken and had lots of leftovers, which made meal planning a breeze. If I hadn't had a readily available source of protein to add to salads and eat with quick cooking vegies I might have really struggled. Eggs are a quick fix, but I get tired of them easily.

3. If I wanted something sweet after eating something savory, a tiny piece of cut up cold fruit like nectarine or cantaloupe would do the trick.

4. A variety of fresh vegetables with lots of different spices makes meals enjoyable and not boring!

5. Replaced my cream in my coffee with coconut oil, dash of cinnamon, and dash of turmeric emulsified with immersion blender - a few quick whirls in the cup and it was all mixed together. Yum. Very satisfying. I like this in the evening with decaf black tea as well. Tastes decadent.

Hope that helps someone. I feel great, am sleeping so much better, and have energy all day long.

Leslie, I'm also on Day 8, and same as you, I'm sleeping sooo much better, and my energy level thru the day is much better. I'm finding myself just naturally more cheerful and relaxed (and productive) at work. OMG how in the world did I go on for so long sleeping so poorly? Makes me a little sad looking back that the solution was relatively simple - not a sleeping pill, not a fancy new mattress, not even physical therapy to help my aching back ... but THIS.

Leslie, the recommendation for the sweetner and cream substitutes in coffee sounds great -- I'll definitely try it! So maybe I won't have to ban myself from coffee after all! :) I also ate according to the Primal diet before starting, so I'm thinking Whole30 won't be so hard after all -- just a few tweaks and subtractions here and there.

Yep Cheryl, being primal previously makes the first week so much easier. I dropped dairy, which wasn't that hard since I think I'm a bit lactose intolerant. I really haven't had any cravings. Normally about 8 pm I'm prowling around the kitchen for something to eat, not that I'm hungry but I just crave "something". For the past 9 days I haven't had that feeling. I'm full at dinner and don't need to eat anything else - no physical or psychological cravings for more. I don't exactly know why, but I'm not complaining!

Yep Cheryl, being primal previously makes the first week so much easier. I dropped dairy, which wasn't that hard since I think I'm a bit lactose intolerant. I really haven't had any cravings. Normally about 8 pm I'm prowling around the kitchen for something to eat, not that I'm hungry but I just crave "something". For the past 9 days I haven't had that feeling. I'm full at dinner and don't need to eat anything else - no physical or psychological cravings for more. I don't exactly know why, but I'm not complaining!

Awesome! Hopefully, I'll get to where you are!

This is great Leslie, thanks! I am on day 5 and am in a sugar detox I think. I am primarily paleo due to food allergies with the exception of sugar and dairy. Started Whole30 to exercise those sugar demons. I didn't think I ate an exceptionally large amount of sugar but apparently I did because the withdrawal is intense. I think I am at the end of it, fruit really helps.

My fave dessert is mixed berries, sliced banana topped with coconut milk. Add chopped nuts to make it breakfast.

Thanks again!

May I ask what the difference is between this lifestyle & primal?

Glad you are finding success... I am a little worried I am ill-prepared... had no clue what turmeric is! Any tips on what I should have handy aka staple items that will be used often??

Thanks & good luck!

May I ask what the difference is between this lifestyle & primal?

Glad you are finding success... I am a little worried I am ill-prepared... had no clue what turmeric is! Any tips on what I should have handy aka staple items that will be used often??

Thanks & good luck!

Hi, Redruns,

Turmeric is an Asian cooking spice with many health benefits; here's a post about it from Mark's Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/turmeric-a-spice-for-life/#axzz21EDEijVr.

The major difference between The Whole30 and the Primal diet is that the latter allows for dairy and moderate consumption of "treats" like red wine and dark chocolate, whereas during The Whole30 you would want to eliminate sugar and alcohol as much as possible and then think about reintroducing them into your diet after your initial 30-day trial run.

There is a lot of information about getting prepared and what kinds of foods you'll want to have handy in the It Starts with Food free downloads: http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/. Most of your meals are going to consist of lean protein and veggies.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

@redruns The guide to the Whole 30 program is here http://whole9life.co...whole-30-v2012/

Major points are:

• Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial.

• Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking.

• Do not eat grains.

• Do not eat legumes.

• Do not eat dairy.

• Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.

• Do not eat white potatoes.

There's a lot more detail on that page or for the really full explanation you should read 'It Starts with Food'. It's not just avoiding, but eliminating for 30 days to see how those foods affect you and to change your relationship with food.

Leslie, this is a great list. I just want to emphasize #2—have protein ready and pre-planned! For me that is one of the hardest things and one of the things that will get me off-track quickly if I don't watch out. Having protein in the fridge and ready to go really helps!

Archived