Different type of marathon training - Studying for the GMAT

Maycat

I don't know if this is the right forum to put this, but I am studying for the GMAT which I will take in December. This is a very hard, intense test and I intend to get a high score in it of at least 700+, which is the 99 percentile. I am dedicating 15 hours a week to study while working full time 50 hours.

The test prep company I am working with suggests to avoid weight loss diets and specifically avoid low carb diet plans. According to  the Manhattan GMAT Guide, "Low-carbohydrate diets are especially detrimental to brain function." (2012)

At the same time I am in a cross-fit onramp class, and my coaches are telling me that I may want to limit my fruit consumption. I usually eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day, with a meal.

So, as exercise is part of my GMAT study plan, and even though I am at least 100 lbs overweight, it is very important to me to get a high score on this test, as opposed to losing a ton of weight right now. I have done several back-to-back Whole30s, and want to be healthy and have a good relationship with food. I figure if I am on the Whole30 I may lose some weight, but now I think I don't want to go to overboard with low carb.

I know that Whole30 is not necessarily low-carb, but are there any tips for making sure I am eating enough carbs? This is harder to measure than when I was training for a triathlon last year. I knew I wasn't eating enough carbs before when I bonked out, but since I am studying like a mad-woman, how do I tell?

• Moderators

I lost weight in my first year of Whole30-style eating while eating a baked sweet potato every day. And working 50 hours, plus studying 15 hours, plus doing CrossFit means you might need more than one baked sweet potato per day occasionally!

Archived