Starting Whole 30 on Oct. 1st! Anyone else?

mamaellen

"When you just want to munch" is not a valid excuse to snack - that's a habit. Giving in to the snack monster isn't going to stop it happening. Don't have anything to snack on, then you can't do it!

I know and it's something I'm working on.

About 8 years ago I did weight watchers and the thing that was engrained into me was "never let yourself get ravenous" and "if you start getting hungry between meals then have a snack so your blood sugars stay level"..

Well, I was always hungry because I was eating shitty food full of preservatives and sugar disguised as healthy and nutritious food and was also calorie counting so I developed a habit of always having snacks on hand and the moment I started thinking about food I would eat.

In fact, my friends would laugh at (with) me because I'd always randomly pull pieces of fruit out of my handbag when we were out and about.

So I have a bit of an anxiety about getting too hungry and it's definitely a habit I am breaking but it's a process.

Each day on this Whole30 I'm trying to either have no snacks or ONE snack and I'm hoping by the end I will have eliminated snacking completely :)

Yesterday my breakfast was so satisfying I didn't feel the need to eat again for 6 hours :D

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone around me is sick, and I feel...really good! I actually have energy when I get up in the morning—and that's after tending to a sick baby in the night. And today was my first day with NO SNACKS! Hooray! 

I feel a little bit like I'm coming down with THE cold, but it's mostly some congestion and the tiniest bit of a sore throat. I'm drinking lots of herbal tea (my current favorites all seem to have cinnamon as the first ingredient), and I've added a fresh vegetable juice daily—WITH a meal, in addition to the vegetables piled high on my plate.

Here's my cold-repelling recipe:

1 large beet, peeled (mine have been softball sized)

1/4 head green cabbage

1 lemon, peeled

1 lime, peeled

Ginger (I use a thumb-sized piece)

3 cloves garlic

Juice it all and drink it down! I don't know how well it works if you're already sick. It might be a "kill it before it comes"-type of cold/flu remedy.

I hope you feel better soon, mamaellen. Ginger kraut sounds delicious! 

For lunch you could have a salad (bring your own dressing?) or... I did this once... ask for like half an avocado on the side and some vinegar and make your own dressing by mashing up the avocado, putting in a tiny dash of vinegar and some salt and pepper from the table... a pizza place could also provide some other interesting spices.

I wrote a very long post last night and it got deleted somehow... but I am on day 14 today! feeling great and no cravings.... most of all I can't believe how loose my pants are!

I must have a snack between lunch and dinner because I eat M1 at 6:30... M2 at 10:30 (that's when my lunch is - I'm a teacher)... then M3 isn't really until 6:00... so at about 2:30 (when school gets out) I usually grab a hard boiled egg or egg salad with homemade mayo and some veggies... is that bad? I know in the book it says no snacking, but I am not going to eat dinner at 3:00! I have been completely compliant and cooking like a mad woman from WellFed (made the PadThai last night and it was amazing!)

so, am I supposed to have that snack.? Am I breaking some cardinal rule?

Your meals should be 4-5 hours apart, so a mini meal is justified in your situation. If you're starving, you should have exactly what you're having - a mini template meal of protein, fat and vegies. Perhaps push dinner back a bit?

Everyone around me is sick, and I feel...really good! I actually have energy when I get up in the morning—and that's after tending to a sick baby in the night. And today was my first day with NO SNACKS! Hooray! 

I feel a little bit like I'm coming down with THE cold, but it's mostly some congestion and the tiniest bit of a sore throat. I'm drinking lots of herbal tea (my current favorites all seem to have cinnamon as the first ingredient), and I've added a fresh vegetable juice daily—WITH a meal, in addition to the vegetables piled high on my plate.

Here's my cold-repelling recipe:

1 large beet, peeled (mine have been softball sized)

1/4 head green cabbage

1 lemon, peeled

1 lime, peeled

Ginger (I use a thumb-sized piece)

3 cloves garlic

Juice it all and drink it down! I don't know how well it works if you're already sick. It might be a "kill it before it comes"-type of cold/flu remedy.

I hope you feel better soon, mamaellen. Ginger kraut sounds delicious! 

NewAgeGirl - 

good news! On Day 2 of the cold, I feel fine! Just a little scratchy throat and woke up refreshed this morning! Normally I'd be down for 4-5 days! YAY WHOLE 30! 

My coach suggested lemon/apple cider vinegar in water. I choke it down but my kids love it! Hoping I can keep their runs short too! 

Food Cravings!!

The thing I miss the most today is dairy. It's boss's day so there is a slew of sugary treats in the office. I've been avoiding the break room, but I overheard someone describing their delicious dessert to someone else, and I really wanted to react like this:

shut_up_breaking_bad.gif

I finally had a food dream last night too. I have no idea what I ate that was not whole30 approved, but I remember waking up feeling guilty for eating it.

Miniannotti - nice to know I'm not alone in Diet Coke Recovery. I don't think about it as much now but when I do, I get a little sad and think of how very very good it would taste right now! Are you going to ever go back to drinking it? For me, probably not ever. I am too much of an addict to even enjoy the occasional soda. 

:)

I still crave it every day....but I don't think I'll go back at the end of 30 days. Maybe as a "treat" at a party or something (I don't drink alcohol, btw), but not every day or even weekly. We got this!

Now that we are already on day 16/17 .... I'm considering doing a Whole45. I want to keep this up a bit longer. Anyone else? 

I am actually planning on doing a Whole90.  I feel like this is really sustainable and I feel so good that I don't want it to stop. If I feel this good, this satisfied, this energized... I don't see why I would stop eating this way.  The holidays will be challenge, but I think if I plan I can get through.

Day 11 here and the past few days (particularly today) I've felt sluggish and not KILL ALL THE THINGS-ish but just a bit moody and like there's a cloud over my head. Hoping it will lift soon.

Still 11 days with no cravings, and my fiancee ate Ben and Jerry's icecream in front of me before and I had no desire for some. So content from dinner.

First day of no snacking at all as well which I'm stoked with! And no nuts or fruit!

Hello out there to all the October 1st starters! How is everyone doing??? Yay we are on day 17 and over the halfway mark. My longest attempt so far has been 19 days, but I feel good I am going to finish this one! I feel silly because I can give out the advise like no ones biz-nass but can't seem to stick to it myself!

So far I have had a couple hiccups(didn't think about the flavored coffee I was drinking!!!), but won't let it derail me. It was nothing intentional and I didn't think about it until day 10. I may want to add 10 days to the end, ugh.

This weekend will be rough, I have 2 family events that will involve food of an unknown nature. I will probably post in the appropriate forums for help with that!

I am actually planning on doing a Whole90.  I feel like this is really sustainable and I feel so good that I don't want it to stop. If I feel this good, this satisfied, this energized... I don't see why I would stop eating this way.  The holidays will be challenge, but I think if I plan I can get through.

Wow - a 90? I'm not sure. I want to have a glass of wine and a slice of (my) pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. We celebrate Hanukkah so I want to enjoy potato latkes (tho sweet potato and zucchini will definately be in the mix!) My birthday is in January and I KNOW I'll want a glass of wine. Little things like that. But I agree that I could keep this up for 90 more days with those exceptions. Maybe I will do a Whole57! (30+27 days into November). Hee. 

I just ate a beautiful meal. Grass-fed burger cooked on my GF grill, carrots and green beans, and "mashed potatoes" made from cauliflower and steamed celery root. First time ading the celery root. Put them in the good processor with salt pepper garlic and ghee butter. Burgers topped with homemade bruschetta and sautéed onions. Delicious.

Day 19 for me. Still travelling along OK - have had a couple of episodes of "I am SO over this" because I was tired and couldn't be bothered cooking (again!) or wanting to just vegetate in front of the TV with a packet of lolly bananas.

I think at the root of this is that I started the W30 hoping that it would resolve some of my inflammatory issues, and I've noticed no improvement at all. Starting to think that my digestive system is fine and I don't have intolerance issues, and my problem is something different (can anyone say 'overtraining'?). And because I've started to think this way, and started losing hope, some 'unhealthy' options are looking more and more attractive. Sorry for the downer post; I hate downer posts, but I'm just realistically telling you how I'm feeling along my journey.

Day 19 for me. Still travelling along OK - have had a couple of episodes of "I am SO over this" because I was tired and couldn't be bothered cooking (again!) or wanting to just vegetate in front of the TV with a packet of lolly bananas.

I think at the root of this is that I started the W30 hoping that it would resolve some of my inflammatory issues, and I've noticed no improvement at all. Starting to think that my digestive system is fine and I don't have intolerance issues, and my problem is something different (can anyone say 'overtraining'?). And because I've started to think this way, and started losing hope, some 'unhealthy' options are looking more and more attractive. Sorry for the downer post; I hate downer posts, but I'm just realistically telling you how I'm feeling along my journey.

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Does day 21 sound partly correct? Or even day 15?

You mention overtraining - this will have a huge impact on not only the benefits you experience during your whole 30, but your life and health in general. You aren't likely going to benefit much from overtraining, and whilst you may be in the habit of doing something every day, forcing yourself to stop may actually allow you to recover, destress, and get better results and perform better doing less training. Doing more is not necessarily better, in the same way that eating less is generally not the answer to losing fat.

I would like to start tomorrow but I have no idea what to do.

Can someone direct me to where to start?

http://www.whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

The website is a great free source of information. I would really suggest getting a good understanding of what the whole 30 is and isn't before you start, and take a little time to get prepared.

You will find the meal template, shopping lists, timeline etc in the pages if the above link - these are all helpful and will be massively beneficial in knowing what to do and expect :)

It Starts With Food is also a good resource, but not necessary - maybe something for future reading?

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Does day 21 sound partly correct? Or even day 15?

You mention overtraining - this will have a huge impact on not only the benefits you experience during your whole 30, but your life and health in general. You aren't likely going to benefit much from overtraining, and whilst you may be in the habit of doing something every day, forcing yourself to stop may actually allow you to recover, destress, and get better results and perform better doing less training. Doing more is not necessarily better, in the same way that eating less is generally not the answer to losing fat.

Thanks amberino. Words of wisdom again. I re-read (carefully) the days you referenced, and you're probably right - I think I'm experiencing a combination of days 15 and 21 (maybe from day 15 TO day 21 LOL). I'm yet to experience Tiger Blood, so hopefully it will kick in soon. I do tend to train every day because 1) I love it, 2) it's a great stress relief, and 3) it's a break from home/work responsibilities. I took myself off to a yoga class today instead :) Thanks for your support - I might spend some quality time this weekend planning out some great new recipes for next week and doing a shop & food prep. xoxo

So upset....I was using ground mustard seeds and now I read on the "whole30 for medical/AIP" that even spice seeds are OUT for AIP. Well, everything else is compliant, I will just have to keep going without seeds for longer... maybe reintroduce them last. 

But I feel pretty good, and my yoga teacher on Weds. helped me with shoulder issues. And for the first time in MONTHS my shoulders dont ache! Its like I just suddenly realized they DONT HURT! Woo hoo...and my joints in general seem under control - so something is happening (good things!).

So, since AIP recommends doing the elimination for 90 days, that will take me to Jan. But I am going on a trip at the end of Dec. That should be interesting, with all my food restrictions! I am not even looking forward to Thanksgiving at my Mom's, since the family will want to eat out...I guess they can go and I will cook for myself (I dont mind at all - a little time to myself!)

I'm not sure how many days it's been for me, as I haven't been counting, but I suppose if it's 18th and I started on 28th, then...20? Anyway, I am craving animal fats like there's no tomorrow. Too bad it's late already, so not getting that tonight, but tomorrow I'll need to get myself some fatty meats!

^ At least you can eat animal fats!!

I'm on day 13 here and I will be honest - I cheated last night.

It wasn't with sugar or cakes. It was with soy. I went out for sushi and I ate sashimi but I just had to have soy sauce. It's no one's fault but my own. I made a conscious decision to eat it.

I'm not 'restarting' as such because

a) I planned on doing more than 30 days anyway

B) My main reasons for doing the Whole30 were to break the cycle of sugar bingeing and avoid grains and dairy for a while because one or all of them are upsetting my stomach - not to eliminate every single toxin successfully.

c) I know how my brain works and if I 'start again' I'm more likely to give up than if I just keep going with being compliant from today onwards.

I know I can't officially say I've completed a Whole30 and that's okay with me. I just want to keep eating well using the Whole30 template and work towards leveling out my blood sugar and quitting snacking for good!

Grr. Arrgh. I woke up tired, had a busy day, and now I'm having my first back pain flare up in a while. It started with a bad spasm that actually made me yelp. Dang.

I've mentioned it other places on the forums, but I'm not sure I said it here: I have chronic low back pain that I've been working on fixing for almost 6 years now. It's a process. A tedious, annoying process that has shown me that the only person who can fix it is me.

So I'm feeling a little put upon, a little "poor me, why me?", and I REALLY want a treat. I've got my teapot full of cinnamon-y herb tea, my pretty handmade mug, and a gorgeous breakfast lined up for tomorrow—but it's not the same.

(Underneath the temporary sulkiness, my mood is actually pretty excellent. Good Food = Good Mood.)

Archived