Starting Whole 30 on Oct. 1st! Anyone else?

mamaellen

. So the idea of being on a diet is all in my head, and I'm actively trying to get rid of that way of thinking. Because if I don't, then there's the danger of facing the flipside of that same coin: "I'm not on any diet right now, so I should probably eat a bunch of candy and potato chips when I can, and then I can go on another diet again."

I totally know what you mean! I looked back on my spreadsheet (I am the spreadsheet queen!) and noticed that this time last year I was in the same place. Then stopped keeping track for the 6 weeks of the holiday season....and my spreadsheet started up again after New Years with an extra 6 pounds. I DO NOT want to repeat that again! I want to start the New Year ahead of the curve, feeling in control and have some other resolution!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am confused about reintro. If I have dairy at every meal on day 31, then how will I know if I can tolerate â€some" dairy, like butter, and maybe need to avoid over doing dairy, like having cheese at every meal? It seems that I should test butter one day, then maybe heavy cream one day, and maybe cheese another? I'm also wondering what I am looking for as a "reaction"? I have a wretched head cold now so I'm not sure if I'll notice any sinus issues...or is it strictly weight related? Am I missing something? My plan is only to test dairy, and non-gluten grains. I want to test rice and corn. Again, should those be tested on different days?

I totally know what you mean! I looked back on my spreadsheet (I am the spreadsheet queen!) and noticed that this time last year I was in the same place. Then stopped keeping track for the 6 weeks of the holiday season....and my spreadsheet started up again after New Years with an extra 6 pounds. I DO NOT want to repeat that again! I want to start the New Year ahead of the curve, feeling in control and have some other resolution!

And I know what you mean about spreadsheets :-) I am trying to ease up on that myself, and feel like this experience has helped me in that. I can start to focus so intensely on the numbers game that it stops being about me and my body, which is where my focus should be. It becomes a hell I have created for myself. OK, that escalated a bit fast :-) But my point is that the spreadsheets can feed certain obsessions which aren't necessarily that healthy.

As for the reintros, I had the exact same thoughts as you about dairy, which is why I'm introducing it on two separate days: casein rich dairy on another day (like cheese) and lactose rich dairy on another day (like cream). So I'll have two days of grains and two days of dairy and then probably the legumes. I know that some of those will cause a bit of bloating and gas, and I'm really not that sure where I'd draw the line of something causing such symptoms that I'd never have it again.

Since I'm not really allergic or sensitive to any particular foods, to me it's mostly about moderation and also timing. A big plate of pasta with creamy sauce can make me feel comatose, but a big plate of pasta with some meat right after lifting heavy weights will magically just disappear somewhere in my body and instead of feeling and looking bloated, I look and feel better. That's what I'm actually intending to do tomorrow: go to the gym and have my lower body workout with lots of leg work and then come home and have pasta!

As for the reintros, I had the exact same thoughts as you about dairy, which is why I'm introducing it on two separate days: casein rich dairy on another day (like cheese) and lactose rich dairy on another day (like cream).

Can you tell me what is in butter? I can probably dig that up in one of my many Paleo books, but if you know, LMK.

Can you tell me what is in butter? I can probably dig that up in one of my many Paleo books, but if you know, LMK.

I don't know which one it would have more of (looks like casein, but I couldn't confirm it), but in either case it's still just trace amounts. However, if you are really sensitive to lactose or casein, then even that little amount can cause problems, which is why we use clarified butter during Whole30.

I learned to love clarified butter for it's great cooking abilities, but then I already had much love for butter anyway :-) Butter has great fatty acid profile (it's very neutral compared to vegetable oils, including olive oil) and if it's from a cow that's been eating well, then it also has a good amount of CLA (amongst other things). The very same thing that's being sold in capsule form for dieters for it's fat burning abilities.

EDIT: This list might be helpful: http://paleohacks.com/questions/16195/lactose-casein-amounts-in-dairy-derived-products.html

First day of reintro for me today and I got to take my measurements! I seemed to have lost 14lbs and two inches from chest, waist and hips and three inches from belly. Granted, I was really bloated from all the processed foods that I had been eating. Still, to put it in context, I'm 5'8" and starting weight was 188lbs and measurements 42-35-42, which are now 174lbs and 40-33-40. My scale actually also shows a 3.8% drop in body fat and 3% increase in water, but I'm inclined not to take those measurements so seriously. Actually, I'm inclined to not take any of those measurements so seriously.

What bugs me is that I have done this before, so why am I in this situation again? That's what I would like to fix and I think I've got some of that worked out during this experience. I mean, losing weight is not a big deal for me anymore now that I know how it's done (and that's part of the problem). I still don't want to do this again next year... I mean the weight loss thing. I'm all for doing Whole30 again. OK, perhaps Whole14. My attention span seems to be enough only for two weeks :-)

I need to upload the last pics to my food log and write something about not truly following the protocol. I mean if someone would look at what I've been eating, they would get a totally wrong picture of Whole30 (there were days I ate just once). It's not that I tried to "outsmart" the program. I think the program is very smart and doesn't need to be tweaked. It's just that I got so bored and lazy :-) I also did get hungry in a way that I would've gladly eaten some steamed fish and broccoli...if someone else would've prepared it for me! I actually love cooking, but I seem to hate having to prepare three meals per day just for myself. So, that was my bad and I don't consider myself as someone who would've successfully completed Whole30.

Anyway, the only reason I started to take photos was for my niece who lives on processed foods and I worry about her. I thought that if I could give some kind of example on what sort of foods she could eat instead, she might become interested. I don't intend to convert her into anything, just want her to make healthier choices most of the time. I was thinking last night that if I would do Whole14 in the near future, I'd be better prepared and actually cook a bit more and post photos of the cooking process. That might be even more helpful to her. Or someone else.

OK, going back to the casein & lactose thing, I think I might've shot myself in the foot with the idea of reintroducing them separately. My schedule for today changed, so I had to improvise and instead of bread I'm doing dairy today and had some quark for breakfast. It's very high in protein, but it's not lactose free. Hard cheese would be high in casein and close to lactose free (if not completely). And I'm now realizing that I would've had some of that as well in the fridge. Doh! Oh well. I guess I'm just reintroducing dairy in general today :-)

I can't believe that I almost made it through my first W30 with no slip-ups!  I stuck to it all the way through!!! and you know what??? it was easy!  yes, preparing all my food was a pain at first, but now I actually like cooking and trying different things... I have 2 days left (started Oct. 2nd) but I am planning on going for a W60.  I feel great!

Today is my last day (I started on 30th) and I have mixed feelings.
I am really excited that I made it!!
I still am paranoid that somewhere I slipped up or someone at a restaurant gave me wrong thing but yeah..

I am really worried about how to eat going forward and worry that I'll go back to my old days without this control.

It was such an interested ride for me, after first week I didn't think I'd want to keep going and now I'm bummed that I'm done! haha

3 more hours until I can say I DID IT!!!!!! I am so happy! This was awesome and my favorite thing about it was that I learned how to batch prep a TON of veggies and proteins so I can always have a good meal. What a great life skill.

Tomorrow I plan to enjoy my homemade paleo creamer (with honey) in my coffee tomorrow. And bake paleo cookies for my kids (they've been so awesome and never asked me for any treats all month). Otherwise I plan to stay on plan until something awesome comes up!

YAY US!!!!

Archived