Starting Whole 30 on Oct. 1st! Anyone else?

mamaellen

Was "flirting" with the diet today, but am officially starting tomorrow. I am currently GF, so I have tackled that battle. I was veggie for about four years until my dr told me to give up gluten :( Sad as it was, I feel a lot better now. I was GF veggie for a while, but that was a pain...so I gave up the veggie part about two month's ago. 

My big problems are sugar and dairy...but esp sugar. I love cheese and will miss it, but it isn't that big of a deal  (I say now). Sugar has been what I have turned to since giving up bread in all of its delicious and deadly forms. I am a runner, otherwise I would weigh much more than I do now (and I am not light) simply because I eat way too much sugar. 

So that will be hard. 

But we can do this! Lets get it done - one day at a time!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started 9/30 because made more sense to do Monday. So yay glad to find other people doing it!!!
Doing the vegetarian plan (don't hate!) and the bf is doing regular one.
Hope I don't eat too much fruit. Day 2 today feeling super sluggish and hungry a lot. :mellow:

Hope it goes away soon!

Good luck everyone!!! :)

I am in - but this time it is Autoimmune Protocol as well. Day 1 down, yay! The hardest things for me in past Whole30's is eating out, or being invited to someone's house. This time, for at least 30 days, I am just saying No to eating elsewhere. My family can go - but I have to cook for myself. I don't want to start again because other people don't understand the importance of 100% compliance. I might start a journal...have to think about it.

Good luck all!

Hey Lexes42!  Good to see you again!  I hope Kitchenwitch joins us too; she's also going around again. 

I had comepletly forgotten I menat to start today....but I remembered early enough that I didn't do anything silly like put (non-compliant) bacon in my kale.  Luckily, I had remembered to do a cookup on Sunday and I am prepared!  Newbies: prep is key.  You do feel a little bit like you're in good food jail...but ti's the only thing that kept me form falling off the wagon.  Maybe I should add that to my list of second time around goals: simplify meal prep and actually let myself eat out But where I live...eating out is a hassle even without the Whole30!...yeah, i don't think that's going to happen unless we travel. Good luck on your first week everyone!

I liked the timeline, too. I must be on fast forward though because even though this is day 1, I was soooo craving the stupid diet Coke and could have used a mid-afternoon nap! I planned chicken thighs for dinner and tomorrow's lunch but I hated them (new recipe, too spicy) so now I have to get back in the kitchen, ugh. I'll sleep good tonight!

Hi -- My name is Mark and just started today as well -- not as organized as I wanted to be, but did not want to put it off -- really tired of feeling the way I have -- as mentioned in another (I think) part of the forum, I new to this medium, but figure I will need all the support and ideas I can get!

I did W30 a few years ago and totally failed on the reintroduction aspect, so I didn't really learn anything from it.  I'm looking forward to another try at figuring out how wheat/dairy/etc. is affecting me.

I'm in on 10/01, too!

Day 1 is over!

I had a very difficult and emotional start due to some personal issues and thankfully today was the first day of whole30, otherwise I am sure I would have ended up eating crap as I usually do to cope with emotional problems. I hope I can have a good night sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow.

So far, I think I did great and was able to only eat 3 meals and no snacks. Eliminating snacks is my main goal, I am sure sometimes I eat when I think I am hungry but in reality I am thirsty, so I am carrying water with me at all times!

I've been Paleo/primal for almost 2 years, but I got so attracted to all those sweet "paleo" treats and got addicted to them. I want to stop craving them and go back to a cleaner more strict whole foods diet and I know I will get back on track doing whole30 or 60 or as many as it will take! :) I need accountability and structure to succeed so I truly appreciate this forum and all the support we all get here!

I was not able to workout today because I was exhausted due to the lack of sleep but tomorrow will be a better and brighter day, I can feel it!

Meal 1: Cup of coffee blended with one raw egg yolk, 3 pastured eggs, steamed broccoli, black olives and fermented sauerkraut.

Meal 2: 1 whole can of sardines, lime, fresh tomato, avocado, olive oil & vinegar.

Meal 3: grass-fed paleo chilli, steamed broccoli and homemade blueberry kombucha.

I attached below a photo of today's meals.

I will be posting a daily photo in instagram if you want to follow me :) patriciaar2013

have a wonderful day 2 everyone!!!  we can do this!

post-33471-0-89698100-1380687446_thumb.j

Hi everyone!  I did my first Whole30 in August and felt great, but my family was so happy I was "off my diet" that they helped me "celebrate"  with all kinds of things that were way more off road than I wanted to be.  So I wnat to do it agian, to shgow them it's sustainable for me over longer periods.  My goals for a second round are:

1. To do the Whole 30 without emptying the kitchen.  I previously banished all non-compliant foods from the kitchen (my husband kept a stash in the office); now I'm going to try it without emptying the cupboards and see how I do.
  2. To watch portion sizes.  I was great about being compliant and eati9ng "onj plan" but soemtimes I really overate!
  3. To add to my small repertoire of "be prepared" recipes for my weekly cook-ups.

I am also trying to convince a co-worker and a friend to join.

Good luck everyone!

Hi  BeautifulMonster, just like you, I won't be emptying the kitchen and I will have a bigger challenge now that I already got requests from my fiance to bake all kind of apple and pumpkin sweet treats, the good thing is that he doesn't complain about the meals and he eats everything I put in front of him. I know it will be difficult at times but I need to gain control over the sweet treats and don't lose track of my main goals.

Good luck to you as well!

tree chestnuts: i bought a package of peeled, roasted chestnuts and they are good! nothing in them, not even salted. I am off of nuts and alot of other things, so now's the time for stuff I have been wanting to try! bought a jicama, too - just have to figure out what to do with it.

day 2 is starting out ok. 

had chicken bone broth and veggies for M1, not really hungry for more, but I want to eat something before exercise class. maybe a small piece of chicken and some squash from last night. oohhh, now i'm getting hungry!

tree chestnuts: i bought a package of peeled, roasted chestnuts and they are good! nothing in them, not even salted. I am off of nuts and alot of other things, so now's the time for stuff I have been wanting to try! bought a jicama, too - just have to figure out what to do with it.

day 2 is starting out ok.

had chicken bone broth and veggies for M1, not really hungry for more, but I want to eat something before exercise class. maybe a small piece of chicken and some squash from last night. oohhh, now i'm getting hungry!

PreWO should be a small portion of protein and some fat. Save your carbs for afterwards - post WO should be a meal sized portion of lean protein and starchy vegie carbs!

Guest Andria

Day 1 successful! Survived a Blackhawks (Go Blackhawks!) game last night with beer and sweet potato fries staring me in the face!

Day 2 starting well. 1 fried egg; 1 chicken apple sausage; shredded sweet potato, apple, zucchini, red onion hash fried in coc oil; small black coffee.

I have to restrict water to 24oz today for a urine test tomorrow morning! Ugh!!!!

Good Luck everyone!

Okay, I'm on day 3.... and I'm writing on this forum like an AA member calling their sponsor!

I'm in a post migraine hangover and have some pms.  I work in DC as a contractor for the government in healthcare.... so as you can imagine it's kinda a stressful time over here!  I did well enough on Day 1 and 2 but today I am struggling with having treats because 'i deserve it'.  Of course, because of the shutdown, people have brought in brownies, cookies, pumpkin bread... and I sit by the kitchen and must pass them all day long.

this morning I worked in another office and loaded up some coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon.   But the 'devil' and 'angel' are having QUITE the argument on my shoulders again.  I've had my compliant lunch... I'm not hungry.... but the devil keeps saying - meh, it's day 3... so you start over tomorrow, no biggie....

My goals this time were to only have nuts and fruit as part of meal recipes so as to not use them as a crutch, and to add more vegetables so as not to over do protein either...but right now, on day 3, it's about getting through the afternoon without chocolate, cookies and diet coke!  I think getting beyond the 'you deserve a treat' may take a lot longer then 60 days!

ARGGHHHH

post-33784-0-93307300-1380730727_thumb.j

I started my first W30 yesterday, and I've got the headache to prove it today! My husband and I started CrossFitting a month ago, and now we're working on the food. He's doing paleo, not a W30 yet, but I wanted to kick the cravings in the butt and see if that makes the transition to full paleo easier. I think the hardest part will be not weighing until the end of the W30. And not drinking wine (I live smack-dab in the middle of Washington wine country).

Best of luck, all!

Day 1 successful! Survived a Blackhawks (Go Blackhawks!) game last night with beer and sweet potato fries staring me in the face!

Day 2 starting well. 1 fried egg; 1 chicken apple sausage; shredded sweet potato, apple, zucchini, red onion hash fried in coc oil; small black coffee.

I have to restrict water to 24oz today for a urine test tomorrow morning! Ugh!!!!

Good Luck everyone!

I'm SO going to try this breakfast recipe tomorrow. I added about 1/3 of a huge sweet potato to my usual egg scramble breakfast this morning and I've noticed that I'm not hungry at all for a mid-morning snack like I usually am.

Okay, I'm on day 3.... and I'm writing on this forum like an AA member calling their sponsor!

I'm in a post migraine hangover and have some pms.  I work in DC as a contractor for the government in healthcare.... so as you can imagine it's kinda a stressful time over here!  I did well enough on Day 1 and 2 but today I am struggling with having treats because 'i deserve it'.  Of course, because of the shutdown, people have brought in brownies, cookies, pumpkin bread... and I sit by the kitchen and must pass them all day long.

this morning I worked in another office and loaded up some coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon.   But the 'devil' and 'angel' are having QUITE the argument on my shoulders again.  I've had my compliant lunch... I'm not hungry.... but the devil keeps saying - meh, it's day 3... so you start over tomorrow, no biggie....

My goals this time were to only have nuts and fruit as part of meal recipes so as to not use them as a crutch, and to add more vegetables so as not to over do protein either...but right now, on day 3, it's about getting through the afternoon without chocolate, cookies and diet coke!  I think getting beyond the 'you deserve a treat' may take a lot longer then 60 days!

ARGGHHHH

attachicon.gifhomerda.jpg

Holy cow! Back away from the diet Coke and nobody gets hurt! LOL!

If a handful of nuts or half an apple keep you from the edge then by all means, cut yourself a break! On day 3 you need to pick your battles. Worry about perfection next week. At least that's my point of view. Tonight after dinner, my usual dark chocolate time, I had a pinch of salted nuts and a pinch of raisins. It was heavenly, and just enough to get me to "settle down."

I find that I do well in the AM and by mid afternoon I'm in a slump. Dinner rejuvenated me. Maybe I need to eat more at lunch. But please stick it out. In 27 days you'll be happy you did. Keep us posted!

Started my W30 today and so happy to be on board.  I actually bought ISWF in July and planned to start in August but i just couldn't fully commit myself... i noticed that on the days i stuck to the "plan" i felt better, but i was not mentally ready to do the whole thing... it is a lot of prep... a bigger grocery bill... i'm sure most of you can understand... but today i was ready! i planned meals for the rest of the week... went to the store and did some prep cooking last night...

i definitely don't think i would feel like i could do this without Well Fed - it is the best cookbook for transitioning to whole30 living and she's coming out with WellFed 2 shortly! tomorrow there is a luncheon at work and i am making baba ganoush and bringing my protein with me so i am not tempted to eat all of the chips, dips, and other things... the idea of "hot plates" is amazing! especially since i am a single parent with a very active 4 yr. old.

day 1 was easy... i have a feeling day 2 will not be so... good luck everyone!

ARGGHHHH

attachicon.gifhomerda.jpg

Be strong! You can do this! Don't succumb to that devil on your shoulder. In just a few days your cravings will go away and you'll be so happy that you persevered!

I think getting beyond the 'you deserve a treat' may take a lot longer then 60 days!

So true! This is an ongoing struggle for me, Whole30 or not. And the more busy and stressed I get, the more I want to comfort/reward myself by eating. You're definitely not alone!

Day 2 and my heart is racing like when I'm hungover. Doesn't help that my 3-month old got up early today. I breastfeed so I'm hoping this will help her out eventually too!

Your mileage may vary, but my daughter was 4 months old and breastfeeding exclusively when I did my first Whole30—and my milk supply went through the roof! 

Today was Day 3 for me, and I made a wonderful discovery: chicken thighs + BBQ sauce from 'ISWF' + chopped apple + slow cooker. So, so good, especially over a big plate of greens!

Archived