Starting Whole 30 on Oct. 1st! Anyone else?

mamaellen

Hi all,

Another Aussie here and I am currently on day 7 of my Whole30 (first week failed massively so started again on Monday).

I have attempted a Whole30 twice before with varied success. I've never completed one. I'm hoping this time around will be a winner!

Pleased to say I haven't had any huge withdrawals or cravings so far this time round which is surprising as I was pretty off the charts with eating bad foods just prior to starting this.

The one thing I'm really struggling to keep under control though is snacking between meals and eating too many nuts! I just love the crunch.

I am a shift worker so some days I find my meals will be spread out further apart than other days. It's something I need to work on - finding out what fills me up for longer.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12 and I keep expecting to feel something magical...but not feeling much different. I do notice that my moods have been slightly more stable, and I'm less irritable. That's a definite plus. And my chronic constipation has gone away. In case you're interested, lol.

I haven't gone off plan yet but I have found that I'm eating a lot more fruit/dried fruit/Larabars/nuts than I should. And I'm snacking a little too much I think. I have always been a big snacker so cutting out snacks is hard for me. And I know I've always been a sugar addict so I should really be trying to limit sweet things. I cut out Diet Coke (been a HUGE addict for years) so I have been letting myself have one Izze natural soda a day, which I know isn't great...but I have found it almost necessary to keep my sanity. 

I'm going away for a 4 day weekend next Thursday and I must admit...I'm terrified. Vacations always derail me! I'm determined...but I know I need to plan, plan, plan.

Mary Ellen

Instead of the Izze soda, which really isn't in the spirit of a Whole30, how about having sparkling water with lime, lemon or other fruit squeezed in instead?

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. I have been drinking a lot of seltzer...some flavored, some regular with lemon or lime. It helps...but I still crave the sweetness...I do realize that the Izze soda is not the best, considering I'm trying to retrain my taste buds. I'm going to try to stop those this week. It was mostly to get me to transition out of Diet Coke, because honestly, I drank about 6 cans a day for the last 20 years. I felt like I needed something to help me through it. But it's been 12 days without Diet Coke and I don't plan on going back to it. :)

Wow Trixie923 that's great to cut from 6 cans a day to nothing (ok Izze soda - not sure what that is?). I'm on day 14 and no 'magic' for me yet either - but my inflammation injuries are driving me to succeed. I live in hope that the Whole 30 will help me.

I'm still really enjoying my W30 and finding the food great and the side effects tolerable. Was chatting to my family about it this morning, which has left me frustrated (wondering why I bother sharing - but it's hard not to when something excites you).

day 12 done! I am so proud of myself for doing this, with the added restrictions of AIP. Does anyone know if tree chestnuts are ok on the AIP?? I know they are fine in general, and ok on Whole30, but are they problematic for people like other tree nuts? I never thought about it, because its not something I ever ate before.

exercising has been going well,too, with yoga and walking, and now a 45-min"reformer machine" class. Its different and quick, but effective. eventually I want to do body-weight exercises at home, but for now, this works. My shoulders hurt alot lately, and I have been hoping they would heal if I stopped the weight lifting class. But the shoulders still hurt.I have not taken any painkillers, but it would be nice not to walk around all day with the constant ache,....I have arnica lotion, but it doesnt help enough.

otherwise, all is going well. 

Where are you finding compliant sausage in Aus?!? I'm guessing at a decent butcher? I haven't looked especially hard, but I've never found a sausage that doesn't have at least one non-compliant ingredient :(

I'd possibly increase your protein at breakfast - a serve of eggs is as many as you can hold, that's likely 3-4!

@amberino21 I get them from the South Melbourne market, there's a free range chicken stall there. They tell me that there's nothing in them only chicken so all I can do is trust them on that one!  They also do really delicious free range eggs :)

Now, my W30 has had two false starts since the 1st of October :(

I have justified each one with the fact that this may be my second last month in Melbourne and I want to enjoy everything the city has to offer. Here's the catch though, I feel so awful that I don't really want to go anywhere or do anything so I guess I better have a stronger determination to stay on track.

I also realize in hindsight that I haven't been as prepared as I was the first time round and this really is key.

So, I've started again today. Day 1. I want to get to the end of October , actually the 4th of November is my goal. 

Not feeling too chipper today mood wise, hoping a few days back on track will sort that.

Glad to see everyone else is having W30 success, stick with it. Trust me, the off plan "treats" really aren't worth it!

I'm a bit peeved. Just realised the kangaroo burgers I ate the other night have potato starch in them. WTF!? This really is a lesson in reading the labels on EVERYTHING!!!... Do I have to start again? I've been so good otherwise :(

I don't think accidental consumption of potato starch merits a restart - potato isn't that bad in the scheme of things. I would take it as a lesson in diligent label reading!

Thanks Kimmy. Izze soda is an all natural soda - a bottled juice/seltzer mix. No sugar or artificial sweeteners or anything so it's TECHNICALLY okay, but it's definitely not in the spirit of the whole30, and I knew that going in.  But I drank my last one and I'm not going to buy more.

I'm experimenting with different drinks. Trying to get into tea. I love iced tea but hot tea has never been my thing. It's tough for me to drink straight water. As silly as this sounds, it makes me feel nauseous!?! I know that's weird. Adding fresh lemon helps a little. I carry my water bottle around and I do try, but I get most of my fluids from iced tea and seltzer. 

trixie923: have you tried iced peppermint tea? its very refreshing, and less boring than water. also, Roobus (red) tea is good, and a bit sweet, if you like that.

so day 13, and I have a headache and achiness all over....is it because I have had no problems until now? yuk. too much to do, and now this. I was feeling so good. Let's hope it passes quickly, and I start feeling good again.

I am not super hungry, but I did have a good M1, yay!

Drinking lots of water.  Getting enough sleep. Not sure I will manage a walk today, but sometimes it makes me feel better, if I can get up and just do it, however slowly.

Day 13 here too. Got up and went to breakfast with hubby, feeling pretty good....no bloating, feel "thinner", ya know....but now 1:30 PM and I could soooo use a nap! I'm kinda IF'ing this afternoon in anticipation of a great chicken recipe for dinner. Just having a pumpkin latte to get me thru (Paleo version). Not hungry, just tired.

My husband and I used to Kettlebell 2-3x per week and have gotten away from it this summer. Tried that yesterday....did 10 minutes and just couldn't do it. I need to find a workout solution. Might take up yoga. Feel guilty for ignoring the bells! Ideally I'd work out when I'm at my high energy point of the day, but my boss might frown on kettlebelling in the office hallway! By day's end, I have nothing left. Hoping for a big turn-around in the next couple of days!

Trixie, I'm with you on the dC! Holy cow....13 days and I miss it so much! Crave them all the time and I was only a 20 oz per day girl! What the heck is IN that stuff??? Whatever it is it must be bad if we want it so much!

Hej Hopp, I finally feel like a human again!

Day13 and my headache has finally got manageable. Thanks Ruthie for pointing out it could have something to do with my sinuses.

When I woke p this morning still with burning headache, I staid in bed and tried to concentrate on to where the ace came from and how it felt.

Burning sensation which started in my cheeks, spreading up towards my forehead and then back into the skull - sounds like sinuses to me (no sniffles or other symptoms) so I dug out some cold caps to try and see what happened..... Whoa, gone!!!

I can't believe I have been suffering for a whole week and the solution was so simple, got some more sinus pills from the pharmacy and the guy confirmed that it is actually quite common :huh:

I am so glad as now I can hopefully start feeling the benefits of doing this whole30.

How is every body else doing?

:)

My kitchen is amazing right now. I have chili on the stove, sweet potatoes in the oven, bone broth in the slow cooker, and a big pot of herbal tea to keep me company. It's Whole30 comfort food city!

I've got the very beginnings of the cold that everyone else in my family has. Normally I would be hitting the Emergen-C and elderberry syrup right now. Instead, I think I'll juice myself up some beets, lemon, ginger, and garlic to drink with my lunch and see if that knocks it out. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Oh, and to all the diet Coke drinkers out there—you CAN QUIT IT! Ten years ago, I drank as much as 120 oz. a day. (Really.) It was one of the first things I cut out when I originally decided to focus on my health, and I can honestly say I haven't wanted a diet Coke in years. The last time I had a sip of one (out of curiosity) it tasted like fizzy chemicals. You really WILL stop craving it!

Can I join this thread as well? :-) I started on 28th, and joined this forum today. I haven't been thinking how many days have passed. The start was surprisingly easy, as I was still battling flu and didn't feel like eating or care what I was eating.

I've been pretty compliant food wise, except once I ate some dried coconut (the only food not documented in my blog) and realized later that it had one percent sugar. Not a big deal in my book, especially as sugar isn't my problem, but the bad thing was that I ate it because I was really hungry, because I had not been eating enough. That's my biggest problem. I don't skip eating because I try to keep calories low, but because I'm lazy :-)

I had been eating way too much processed foods in large quantities, and felt bloated. The bloated feeling is now gone, but otherwise I don't feel different. Granted, I am really bad at eating at right times, so perhaps that's the key.

I feel like I'm back in school, as I'm eating mostly regular foods, just without the bread, potatoes, dairy, etc. I have not eaten a single sweet potato, as they're too sweet for my taste :-) I have some cravings and dreams, but it's unlikely I'd crack.

I like not having a scale and not counting calories. I did a protein sparing fast last year for several weeks, and after that experience any other type of eating is pure luxury. So I'm just happy that I get to eat. I want to get out of disordered eating and focus more on good quality food. I will not continue with paleo after this, as it's just not me and I'm not allergic nor on any medication. I do want to focus on quality, moderation and cooking food with love.

Anyway, I'm a proponent of stress-free eating and not making a fuss. Obsessing will only lead to more disordered eating patterns, so being compliant is what I try to be, but if I fail in a minor way, it's not a big deal :-)

AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!! Food cravings!

Day 16 here and for the first time I am CRAVING things. Popcorn, sugary anything, a nice cold diet coke or alcoholic beverage. I have been so balanced and awesome the last 15 days, but today is just driving me mental.

Distract distract distract. It's not that I'm hungry - I feel a bit lethargic today and it's driving me to desire mindless comfort eating :(

Day14 and finally feeling really, really good! Wow, my energy levels are way up high! Today I felt light as a feather and not bloated as the last few days. I don't usually eat fruit in general but this is the time of the year where apples are everywhere, so I figured that apples make me very bloated and gassy  :blink:  and I proved it today that I didn't eat any and I felt great, too bad because I love apples.

I had a "food dream" a few night ago. I had a lot of "tamales" a very traditional Mexican food that is not Paleo nor Whole30 approved of course! Oh man, they looked and tasted so good in my dreams! I found it funny that the last time I had them in real life was about 8 years ago!! Crazy :P

I have not had cravings so far and I have done really good on skipping all the snacks and eating just 3 meals + POW during the days I do strength/lifting training.

This Friday will be a challenge since it is my fiance's birthday dinner, I will be cooking main and side dishes, my soon to be mother in low will fix appetizers and his favorite dessert "apple crisp". I am not too worried about being tempted to eat dessert because I don't really like apple crisp but I do love vanilla ice cream that she will serve it with. I am also sure that she will have some creamy dips, crackers, chips cheese and jams as appetizers. For the rest, I usually bring avocado and balsamic vinegar since they only have ranch and other regular dressings for the salad which I will also bring. Even though they know I am Paleo, I usually cheat during birthday celebrations, not this time though!!! I will let you know how it went!

I hope everyone is doing well, sending you all positive thoughts and many warm hugs your way!!!

AAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!! Food cravings!

Day 16 here and for the first time I am CRAVING things. Popcorn, sugary anything, a nice cold diet coke or alcoholic beverage. I have been so balanced and awesome the last 15 days, but today is just driving me mental.

Distract distract distract. It's not that I'm hungry - I feel a bit lethargic today and it's driving me to desire mindless comfort eating :(

Don't give in!!!

I'm nervous about cravings because I've been really fortunate to not have experienced any cravings in the past 9 days except for on day 1. I know eventually they will hit and THAT is when the challenge really begins.

One thing I am struggling with is nuts! I can't stop snacking on nuts. Mostly it's mindless, but sometimes it's because I get a bit peckish in the afternoons and I don't want to eat fruit because I'm trying to reduce sugar. I think I need to chop up lots of carrot, capsicum and cucumber sticks for those occasions when I just want to munch.

Any other snack suggestions? (I'm trying not to snack and I'm not snacking as much as I used to but I haven't quite slayed that dragon yet)

Don't give in!!!

I'm nervous about cravings because I've been really fortunate to not have experienced any cravings in the past 9 days except for on day 1. I know eventually they will hit and THAT is when the challenge really begins.

One thing I am struggling with is nuts! I can't stop snacking on nuts. Mostly it's mindless, but sometimes it's because I get a bit peckish in the afternoons and I don't want to eat fruit because I'm trying to reduce sugar. I think I need to chop up lots of carrot, capsicum and cucumber sticks for those occasions when I just want to munch.

Any other snack suggestions? (I'm trying not to snack and I'm not snacking as much as I used to but I haven't quite slayed that dragon yet)

"When you just want to munch" is not a valid excuse to snack - that's a habit. Giving in to the snack monster isn't going to stop it happening. Don't have anything to snack on, then you can't do it!

Halfway through and already thinking of the end. Does anyone do shorter stints of W30 (after the first)? I'd like to take a week to enjoy a Paleo treat and then to test dairy...but then get back to something more regimented before Thanksgiving. I've done the 21 Day Sugar Detox before but am really enjoying my sweet potato! Does anyone every do a modified W30 after themed figured out their issues and know what they can safely eat?

Halfway through and already thinking of the end. Does anyone do shorter stints of W30 (after the first)? I'd like to take a week to enjoy a Paleo treat and then to test dairy...but then get back to something more regimented before Thanksgiving. I've done the 21 Day Sugar Detox before but am really enjoying my sweet potato! Does anyone every do a modified W30 after themed figured out their issues and know what they can safely eat?

I think this is mentioned in the book, about doing Whole14 or whatever number of days you want...basically you eat clean and have something off-plan when it is REALLY worth it.

Does anyone ever wake up in the middle of the night QUEASY? I mean, feeling like you are going to vomit, nauseous, painful belly, queasy? No, not hungry, not pregnant....But why did I wake up with pain and nausea? NOT fun.

Day 15 of AIP, going well. Dodged a mini-bullet last Sunday - Husband brought home some soup that I'm sure had hot pepper (nightshades), but thankfully my son ate it before I came home!! (phew) Having to explain anything "food restrictive" to a guy who doesnt get it just is not worth the energy. 2 more weeks to go, and then I will introduce nightshades first. I have been off milk and cheese for years, so my family doesnt expect me to eat dairy. But I think the nightshades will be tough, since paprika, tomatoes and potatoes are a big part of people's way of cooking. I also like them.....so I will see what can stay and what might go.

I want to stay off of gluten, and I know its do-able if I am careful of Other People's Food. Especially restaurant food.....

I feel ok, in spite of waking up queasy and hurting. My shoulders are still sore, and I havent done anything since Yoga on Friday. Well, I am exercising today, I will just be easy on the upper body.

Keep calm, and Whole30!!

My kitchen is amazing right now. I have chili on the stove, sweet potatoes in the oven, bone broth in the slow cooker, and a big pot of herbal tea to keep me company. It's Whole30 comfort food city!

I've got the very beginnings of the cold that everyone else in my family has. Normally I would be hitting the Emergen-C and elderberry syrup right now. Instead, I think I'll juice myself up some beets, lemon, ginger, and garlic to drink with my lunch and see if that knocks it out. I'll let you all know how it goes.

NewageGirl - your kitchen sounds heavenly! I have a cold too and am really missing honey in my tea for my scratchy throat. I know slippery elm bark can be soothing so thought I might search that out today. Lots of bone broth too and ginger kraut. Let me know how your juice goes! Today (Day 16) should be Tiger Blood Day! Not so much. Waa. 

Day 15 and almost over the hump! It's starting to feel more normal now. I don't think about food 24/7 anymore.

This week is kind of tough because I'm going away Thursday morning so I didn't want to do a big food prep for the week. So I'm kind of scrounging around in the fridge for things when it's time to eat, which is annoying. I am still snacking...have to cut it out! At least I ran out of dried fruit...but I still have those pesky Larabars which occasionally yell at me from across the room. And they're very sweet. I'm trying to kick my sugar habit. I need to stop substituting other sweet things!

Hopeless, thanks for the peppermint iced tea idea...I'm gonna try that. Sounds interesting.

Miniannotti - nice to know I'm not alone in Diet Coke Recovery. I don't think about it as much now but when I do, I get a little sad and think of how very very good it would taste right now! Are you going to ever go back to drinking it? For me, probably not ever. I am too much of an addict to even enjoy the occasional soda. 

NewAgeGirl - You give me hope for a Diet Coke free life! I CAN do this! 

Hang in there everyone!  :)

Forgot to ask...has anyone here traveled yet? I'm going to Salem MA for 4 days - Thursday through Sunday - and I have yet to devise a real plan. I did make some beef jerky - which came out okay. Not delicious, but okay. I know I will be bringing nuts and fruit for emergencies.

I think I should be ok buying breakfast (can do eggs/bacon/fruit) and dinner (can order plain fish or plain steak with plain veggies). Lunches will be the tough part I think. I can't exactly grab something at a pizza place.

I could bring a cooler but we don't have a fridge in the hotel room and also I'm not going to cart a cooler around town. 

Suggestions?

For lunch you could have a salad (bring your own dressing?) or... I did this once... ask for like half an avocado on the side and some vinegar and make your own dressing by mashing up the avocado, putting in a tiny dash of vinegar and some salt and pepper from the table... a pizza place could also provide some other interesting spices.

I wrote a very long post last night and it got deleted somehow... but I am on day 14 today! feeling great and no cravings.... most of all I can't believe how loose my pants are!

I must have a snack between lunch and dinner because I eat M1 at 6:30... M2 at 10:30 (that's when my lunch is - I'm a teacher)... then M3 isn't really until 6:00... so at about 2:30 (when school gets out) I usually grab a hard boiled egg or egg salad with homemade mayo and some veggies... is that bad? I know in the book it says no snacking, but I am not going to eat dinner at 3:00! I have been completely compliant and cooking like a mad woman from WellFed (made the PadThai last night and it was amazing!)

so, am I supposed to have that snack.? Am I breaking some cardinal rule?

Archived