Purple Potatoes? and Brandy (cooked down)?

laceface224

Hey everyone- red potatoes and sweet potatoes are ok- but what about purple potatoes? I'm asking on behalf of my mother in law, a fellow whole30-er. I just stayed away from anything but red or sweet and didnt question it, but she is quite curious about the purple.

Also, if one was to cook something in brandy- with the brandy being cooked down so the alcohol is cooked out, would it still be whole30 compliant? Also asking on behalf of my MIL, as I'm under the impression that because of the sugars in brandy (which I don't believe "cook out") it would make whatever she's cooking in it non-compliant.

??? Thank you all in advance!

I am teetotal and over the years since I stopped drinking I have developed an intolerance to alcohol in food as well. 

This is interesting to read - we believe alcohol burns off in cooking, but this shows that it doesn't, I avoid anything with alcohol, even wine vinegars although cider vinegar is ok. 

• Moderators

Hey everyone- red potatoes and sweet potatoes are ok- but what about purple potatoes? I'm asking on behalf of my mother in law, a fellow whole30-er. I just stayed away from anything but red or sweet and didnt question it, but she is quite curious about the purple.

Also, if one was to cook something in brandy- with the brandy being cooked down so the alcohol is cooked out, would it still be whole30 compliant? Also asking on behalf of my MIL, as I'm under the impression that because of the sugars in brandy (which I don't believe "cook out") it would make whatever she's cooking in it non-compliant.

??? Thank you all in advance!

You may be under a false impression of what is okay. I will clarify the guidelines here: The skins of white potatoes come in a rainbow of colors - brown, gold, red, purple, and maybe a few more. None of them are okay during a Whole30 because they are all varieties of white potatoes. On the other hand, all varieties of sweet potatoes and yams are okay during a Whole30. Most sweet potatoes and yams have orange or yellow flesh, but some varieties have white colored flesh. Even though the flesh of these sweet potatoes is white, they are okay because they are not white potatoes. Most sweet potatoes have skins that are red in color, but some are purple. It is the purple sweet potatoes that have white flesh. 

You cannot cook with any alcohol during a Whole30. The guidelines make the decision for you that all the alcohol may not cook out and so all varieties of alcohol are banned from Whole30 cooking. 

Vinegar is a separate subject. All vinegar with the exception of malt vinegar is acceptable during a Whole30. The fermentation process that turns red wine, rice wine, white wine, sherry, champagne, etc into vinegar consumes the alcohol to the satisfaction of the Whole30 powers that be. The reason malt vinegar is excluded is that it includes gluten. Anyone who is worried about accidentally ingesting alcohol is free to avoid all the wine vinegars. 

I will add to what Tom said: Even purple flesh "white" potatoes (usually found in fingerling form) are out during a Whole30.

I stand corrected - I assumed that the higher nutrient density of the purple flesh potato, as well as the unlikelihood that they'd be used in the same way as a normal white potato would make these compliant!

If you can find Japanese sweet potatoes, they have a different flavor than a regular (orange) sweet potato. And sliced very thin and baked, they make a passable potato chip. But don't worry, it's MUCH to much work for them to every become a no-brake food.

The japanese sweet potatoes have purple flesh and a white-lavender skin. Very interesting. I've not been fortunate to find them around here yet, though. 

Also, the only purple "white" potatoes I've ever had tasted like dirt...not eager to eat them again...

Ok, I have honestly never understood the point between no white types but sweet types are OK. They seem too similar to me.

But just did some additional research and it appears that the main reason is the inflammation factor. White potatoes according to a nutritional data site has an inflammation rating of -179 (causing inflammation) sweet potatoes have an ANTI inflammatory factor of 378.

Since a huge purpose of the whole30 is to eliminate inflammation causing foods... This now totally makes sense.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2770/2

post-34440-0-31308900-1380516688_thumb.j

Potatoes are a nightshade, hence the high inflammation factor.

But in ISWF, potatoes are also a 'no brake' food for many. Think potato chips, fries, etc. Sweet Potatoes, in addition to being anti-inflammatory, have more nutrition than white potatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Going nightshade free to try & eliminate my inflammation.

I never knew white potato was a nightshade. I haven't been eating white potato for a long time, but I had previously assumed (so wrong! lol ) that sweet & white ones were the same family just some were more nutritious.

Sweet potato = not a nightshade (marigold family)

"Normal" or White potato = nightshades

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

what's the different between white skin/purple inside and purple skin/purple inside PURPLE POTATO? Are they both whole30 compliance? Do they taste the same?

All potatoes are compliant on the Whole30.

There are purple potatoes that are just regular potatoes, and there are purple potatoes that are sweet potatoes, but they should be labeled in the store so you know what you're getting. I haven't really seen white skin/purple inside potatoes, so I'm not sure what they're like. The purple skin/purple inside potatoes I've had were the little fingerling potatoes, and they tasted like potatoes to me, although it's possible I missed some subtle difference.

You could google types of potatoes if you wanted to find out more about the different types.

Archived