What are the "rules" for re-intro of food types?

DoctorFaustus

I took a 6-week approach to my whole 30, so technically its a whole 42, but.... I am on week 5 and getting very nervous about re-introduction... :huh:

I don't miss a certain food group more than the other--- but I do miss food types or genres that have multiple non-compliant foods...  For me, its mainly INDIAN FOOD.  It has dairy, it has legumes, it has some grain (depending on what you order), but that is what I have missed the MOST.  Suggestions on what I should/can do?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Try reintroducing dairy at three meals for a day and then eat Whole30 again for 2-3 days while watching for symptoms. Then reintroduce legumes several times in a day, then eat Whole30 again for 2-3 days while watching for symptoms. Then try grains... If you don't observe any symptoms, you should be good to go with Indian food. If you have problems with one or more food groups, you at least know what you are facing. 

If you just reintroduce Indian food, you won't know what specifically causes you problems, if any, but if you test one thing at a time, you will at least know.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Tom, this is helpful. The book was a tad vague about the reintroduction phase -- it was not clear to me if you do (for example) dairy at each meal for one day, and then revert to Whole30 and observe for 2-3 days, or if you were to do dairy at all meals for all 3-4 days. It sounds like just one day, and then observing for 2-3 days before either trying it again, or moving on to another reintroduction? I am having a hard time at Day 27 (from Day 23 til now). -- I am officially doing "Kill All The Things" at a very different point than it happens for most, apparently! 

Aha - this was my exact question. To follow the protoccol in ISWF, day 1 (today), I am trying out dairy. I ate Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast and will have some cheese with lunch or dinner. Then, do I observe how I feel over the next couple of days without eating any more dairy than that? Or do I eat dairy on days 2 and 3 also? 

It sounds like 1 day of dairy, followed by 2 more days of observation. Then 1 day of the next food group, followed by 2 more days of observation. Got it.

Thanks! 

Aha - this was my exact question. To follow the protoccol in ISWF, day 1 (today), I am trying out dairy. I ate Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast and will have some cheese with lunch or dinner. Then, do I observe how I feel over the next couple of days without eating any more dairy than that? Or do I eat dairy on days 2 and 3 also? 

It sounds like 1 day of dairy, followed by 2 more days of observation. Then 1 day of the next food group, followed by 2 more days of observation. Got it.

Thanks! 

It's the latter. One day of reintro at all three meals, then observe for 2 days, then move onto the next food group and repeat.

And if dairy reaction is fine, can you have dairy again when introducing a new food (like legumes)?

No. Wait to have dairy again until after you finish all your reintroductions, so that it's crystal clear what is the cause of any further potential reactions down the road.

Archived