W30 is so great it's bumming me out.

kaybee

Yes it's about figuring out what is special and what isn't special. 

The key is - if you embrace rules - write your own rules, exceptions, and the like.  Use what you have learned during your whole 30 and create your own rules to riding your own bike.  I find this helps immensely and helps me put things in perspective greatly.

Do I have those days that I feel like whinning?  Yep!  But then I need to put into perspective....  Do I want to feel more better, or less better?  And yes there are days that I don't give a sh*t.   Those are days that I don't wish to repeat often.  But they happen, and I own up and move on.....

I'm also a huge foodie - my husband and I both are! What we've noticed over the past few years as we've adopted healthier lifestyles is that we now choose to eat for health more often than not, and if we want to eat something that's not so good for us we go for quality over quantity.

Does that mean we eat out less? yes! we'd rather save up and go to really good restaurants that serve amazing, good quality produce once every couple of months instead of going to cheaper, lesser quality restaurants more frequently. take away? whats that? that doesn't even register on the "food" radar. my food choices have also changed - i'd never order pasta anymore (unless in Italy, or if it was homemade and unbelievably good) because if I wanted that, I could make it myself. if it's for a special occasion, I will eat the food as is on the menu, if it's just a casual lunch/dinner, I order dishes with my own adjustments that I know will suit me and make me feel good and happy afterwards.

Do we get frustrated occasionally? indeed - there are times when we both wish we didn't care about our food choices. we sometimes wish that we could be happy just going out for the day and eating whatever we felt like, without worrying whether it would effect us. But then, we make our good choices, feel great, realise those other foods probably aren't going to satisfy us anyway and enjoy that we stuck to our "plan". There are days when I've had enough of being in the kitchen, and part of me just feels like going out somewhere cheap and quick or getting takeaway. I think about the places we could go, get disheartened by the lack of good food and realise i'd be more satisfied spending the time in my own kitchen preparing something I know will taste great and be nutritious at the same time.  

I suppose you have to set your own rules, and be happy with them. it is a huge choice to eat for health over emotional/comfort/"want" factors. I make that choice every day. there are very rare days that I just want to dive head first in to a pile of garbage. I've done it a couple of times - felt like trash, and realised that i'd rather make good choices! sometimes I think you need to feel bad to remember why you make the good choices you do.

I think that many, many people eat carefree and also feel like crap. Most don't realize it's their food that's making them feel so bad. They think they need medication. I feel lucky that I found the path to better health. I definitely have internal battles. I've been trying to change for years. Over time, I've let go of many food associations but there are still foods that make me want to pout and stomp my feet because I can't eat them. I try not to let my mind go there and find a distraction.

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting topic. I am a HUGE foodie, like all of you, and enjoy going out to try new food and wine. I'm on Day 9 of my frist W30 - and I feel fantastic. (I had been ill for about 5 months prior - every day just nauseous and stomach pains! The doctors said nothing is wrong with me at all; I even got a food allergy test, and nothing's awry there, either). However, I'm sad to think about the fact that this may be my life ... it's just not exciting. I went to the wine country in Northern Arizona with my boyfriend last weekend (who is very supportive), and I had to go to the store to cook my own chicken. I really like cooking, but I'm finding that I dislike cooking now. It's such a CHORE. It used to be enjoyable. I know I'm only on Day 9 and "things will change" (including tastebuds), but it's still frustrating.

How have you all being doing now that it's been a couple of months since the last post?

Archived