Kombucha & Pregnancy question...again

I've read 2 threads on here about Kombucha and pregnancy. This thread leads me to believe it's okay?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10312-kumbocha/?hl=%2Bkombucha+%2Bpregnancy#entry131533

Then this one makes me think it's not okay...

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5544-kombucha-and-pregnancy/?hl=%2Bkombucha+%2Bpregnancy

Please someone clarify for me. I know Chris Kessler say's yes! but I just want to make sure.

Also, what are y'alls thought on home-brewed Kombucha. Is that too risky? Should I stick with Gt's brand. I would for simplicity just not drink it but I am CRAVING it so bad!

I'm a pretty avid home Kombucha maker and while I have nothing against GT (save the price compared to homemade) making Kombucha at home allows you to tailor it to your particular taste. I won't really weigh in on the "safety during pregnancy" issue per se, although I have read that as much as 200mg of caffeine/day is considered okay for pregnant women and a cup of Kombucha probably contains around 50mg (black or green tea is about the same) so I would think in moderate amounts, the probiotic benefits could outweigh the caffeine concerns. But that's just me. 

If you do decide to drink it, I'd highly recommend making your own. It's easy once you get a few batches under your belt, and SO cheap compared to store-bought. 

Personally, I've learned to tread carefully around anything I have a "craving" for, healthy or not, but I am SO not qualified to comment on cravings during pregnancy.  :huh: I'm just not gonna go there. 

There's a ton of info on the forum about Kombucha but please feel free to ask specific questions. And it's too bad we're so far apart, I have LOTS of extra SCOBY's that need good homes! 

This may take some flak on here for me, but...

When it comes to alcohol during pregnancy, the US has a totally different stance than Europe does. While in Europe these last 3 years, I watched women being judged (you can tell judgy eyes) for drinking soda when pregnant, but no one bats an eyelash if she has a glass of wine with a meal. It's 100% socially acceptable to drink a little wine, but 100% not for soda (and their sodas have SO much less sugar, no dyes, and it's REAL sugar, not HFCS).

I know that kombucha's alcohol content has come into question lately (the little boy who was suspended from elementary school because the bottle of kombucha in his lunch said "less than 0.5% alcohol" on it - because he "brought alcohol onto school property."

Not sure if it was the caffeine or potential for alcohol you were more worried about but...good luck with the pregnancy!

Thanks guys, I guess when you are pregnant you begin to question just about everything you put in your mouth. It really was not the alcohol content or caffeine content that I was concerned about but more so the detoxifying properties of kombucha. I have read plenty about the subject over the past few days and have come to the conclusion that I will continue drinking Kombucha during my pregnancy. I have read to continue to drink plenty of water (which I do already) to flush out any toxins the Kombucha mobilizes.

Archived