Pre and Post WO Meals

tara.liveeatlove

Ok, so I have been concentrating on being consistent with eating my pre and post work out meals. Last month I lost 8 pounds, but 6 of that was muscle mass .... no bueno! I'm hoping this helps; but I'm having a little trouble with it. Can you guys offer any advice?

Some examples of my preWO meals (Protein + Fat):

Grilled Chicken + 1/2 Avocado

Turkey Breast + Coffee w/Coconut Milk

1 Egg + Almond Butter

Some examples of my postWO meals (Protein + Carby Veggie):
Leftover Taco Meat + Plantain Chips

Turkey Breast + Carrots

So here are my problems:

1. I'm bored with the pre and post WO meals and don't want to eat them anymore

2. I'm full. I workout in the evening, so by the time I'm done with my post WO meal I have had lunch, preWO, and postWO food. I don't WANT to eat dinner. But of course, if I don't eat dinner I will inevitably be hungry at 9 or 10 pm, so I force myself to eat. But then I'm not hungry for breakfast the next day! I've been doing something small (like berries and almonds) for breakfast, and mostly eating lunch through dinner.

Does anyone else struggle with these things?

If you lost that much muscle during your whole 30 then it's likely you weren't eating enough to sustain your activity level. Did you have a dexa scan before and after to determine this?

Pre and post WO food is something you have for function, not because it tastes good. You eat the meals because you need them! Try changing up the vegies and protein choice.

If you can't eat enough in three meals, eat more meals! You need to eat more food, and spreading it over more meals may help. Berries and almonds isn't a sufficient breakfast, at least aim for a mini meal that fits the template. You may be able to get away with a smaller dinner if you eat more meals, have it earlier, then be able to eat more at breakfast time.

No, actually, I didn't have a dexa scan. One of the coaches took my measurements using the Ironman InnerScan Body Composition Monitor.

What are your thoughts on the reliability of these measures?

I'll keep scarfing down the pre and post meals -- better than drinking protein powders packed with junk!

Thanks for the response....

• Moderators

I find it easy to skip breakfast and eat my first meal as lunch, but if I eat a big breakfast, I am often hungry by lunch time. That seems weird to me, but it may be important to your eating enough during the day that you start with a serious breakfast.

So here are my problems:

1. I'm bored with the pre and post WO meals and don't want to eat them anymore

2. I'm full. I workout in the evening, so by the time I'm done with my post WO meal I have had lunch, preWO, and postWO food. I don't WANT to eat dinner. But of course, if I don't eat dinner I will inevitably be hungry at 9 or 10 pm, so I force myself to eat. But then I'm not hungry for breakfast the next day! I've been doing something small (like berries and almonds) for breakfast, and mostly eating lunch through dinner.

Does anyone else struggle with these things?

I have almost the exact same problems.  For me, this has been the hardest part of whole 30.

I have 2 scenarios - the most common is I come home from work and eat a proper dinner and spend time with the kids before they head off to bed and I go exercise.  By the time I am done exercising I don't want to eat a bite.  I'm not hungry, I don't WANT to eat a proper post WO meal but if I don't, I know right before I go to bed I am going to be ravenous.  So last night I choked down 2 slices of Applegate Farms roast beef and a pouch of Winter Squash baby food.

The other scenario is that I come home from work, eat a pre-wo meal that is probably a bit on the small side (usually just some cashews) and go for a run while I still have daylight and then just have dinner as my post-wo meal.  I prefer that but for a number of reasons that can't be my regular schedule. 

So, I'm on day 16 today and still working through it.

One thing I do to make all my meals easier is cook ahead.  I make extra chicken & while it's baking I throw two sweet potatoes in the bottom of the oven.  There's at least 4 post workout meals there (unless those sweet potatoes are HUGE).  I will also toss cubed butternut squash w/ ghee, salt & pepper & roast it.  This is amazing when you combine it w/ the Applegate Farms kielbasa--which is spendy, but can be microwaved when you're in a pinch.  So there's a few more ideas for you!  ;)

One thing I do to make all my meals easier is cook ahead. I make extra chicken & while it's baking I throw two sweet potatoes in the bottom of the oven. There's at least 4 post workout meals there (unless those sweet potatoes are HUGE). I will also toss cubed butternut squash w/ ghee, salt & pepper & roast it. This is amazing when you combine it w/ the Applegate Farms kielbasa--which is spendy, but can be microwaved when you're in a pinch. So there's a few more ideas for you! ;)

As great as it would taste, I'd avoid roasting in ghee - you want little to no fat in your postWO meal!

• 1 month later...

I have almost the exact same problems.  For me, this has been the hardest part of whole 30.

I have 2 scenarios - the most common is I come home from work and eat a proper dinner and spend time with the kids before they head off to bed and I go exercise.  By the time I am done exercising I don't want to eat a bite.  I'm not hungry, I don't WANT to eat a proper post WO meal but if I don't, I know right before I go to bed I am going to be ravenous.  So last night I choked down 2 slices of Applegate Farms roast beef and a pouch of Winter Squash baby food.

The other scenario is that I come home from work, eat a pre-wo meal that is probably a bit on the small side (usually just some cashews) and go for a run while I still have daylight and then just have dinner as my post-wo meal.  I prefer that but for a number of reasons that can't be my regular schedule. 

So, I'm on day 16 today and still working through it.

So, would you recommend then, for example... 

If I came home from work at about 6pm, have a preWO snack of a hard boiled egg, put my daughter to bed, then exercise from 7-7:30 or 8, then have dinner as the PostWO meal. Would that work or would that not be enough food?

I just want to prepare myself in case I don't have enough time in the morning for a workout and want to work out at night.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I have a question similar to the others above.  I am new at this, on day 6.  I work out in the morning (6:30am).  Typically, I get up, have a hard boiled egg and a cup of hot tea with coconut milk.  I then work out.  After my workout I have a jar of sweet potato baby food and 2 more eggs.  Later, I proceed to lunch and then dinner.  Is this ok, or am I to be adding breakfast in there?  The meal planning guide says:  "Note, your PWO meal is a special bonus meal - not meant to replace breakfast, lunch or dinner."  I am just not sure if PWO in this case means Pre or Post or both?  So my question is this:  Should I add breakfast to my routine or am I ok?

We are also struggling with this as we work out very early in the mornings.  I have managed to gulp down a hard-boiled egg and coconut milk in my coffee for pre-WO, but by the time we get home I have to jump in the shower to get ready for work.  We then do our regular breakfast after that.  I think if I ate a post-WO protein and carb then I wouldn't want breakfast 30 mintues later. 

ZellyB - I think you'd be surprised at what your body can process post workout ;)  Don't stress too much about preworkout, but I'd really encourage you to bring some starchy veggies and protein to the gym immediately after the workout.

Hi Robin,

I know this issue has been beaten to death so forgive me :unsure: ... but a post-wo should be eaten immediately after workout (15-30 min) and THEN breakfast an hour later? I get done with a workout at 7am and usually dont sit down to eat breakfast until 8am. Should I eat a small portion of protein in the car and still eat breakfast at 8? I usually have a small steak and an egg scramble with veggies and some berries for breakfast. Is this too much, and if I do add the post-wo, should i scale it back? 

ZellyB - I think you'd be surprised at what your body can process post workout ;)  Don't stress too much about preworkout, but I'd really encourage you to bring some starchy veggies and protein to the gym immediately after the workout.

Thanks, Robin.  I will make an effort to do that after my next run and just eat it quickly after and then plan for breakfast after I'm ready for work.  I appreciate the suggestion.

Guys, just my 2 cents worth here, but it's all going to be experimentation. If it'll make you sick to eat in the time frame Post WO, then wait a little longer. Personally I exercise a fair bit, and there is no way I can eat in the first 30mins usually after a work out, It'll just come back up. I eat usually 30-60mins after a workout, and that does it for me.

The moderators are trying to help guide you, bit it's not a concrete rule, everyone is different. Experiment, listen to your body, and find out what works for you. Use the guides and support here to help, It's all really good advice, but it's not a "I have to do it this way" when it comes to your own eating program.

I know my partner eats 3 meals a day, and that seems to be all she needs. I'm bigger than her, and I work out harder. I eat 3 meals, plus a small bite mid morning. Sometimes a bite before WO, but only if it's been at least 3-4 hours since I last ate. Like I said, everyone is different. I'm toning and slimming still and that's how I've eaten now for a little while.

Stick to the Whole30 Plan and see how it goes. It's a great time to figure out how your body works food wise :)

Archived