Cooking Equipment - Food Processor recommendations

Shalla

Hi all - I'm planning on buying a food processor so I can more easily do things like faux potatoes, smooth soups, etc. I've done some Amazon research and still feel kind of "I don't know" about what to buy.

So, what food processor or alternate device to you use and what to you like/dislike about it? I'm hoping for something not too terribly expensive.

I am not sure what faux potatoes are but I use my Bamix stick blender for soups and mayo. It is expensive and cheaper alternatives are available. If you ever have milk in coffee it also froths milk! 

My food processor is a Magimix Cuisine 4200 and the slicing and grating blades are excellent but should come with a health warning as they are so sharp and i have had some nasty cuts :( It has a pulse button and can be used to blend soups although I prefer to do that in the pan to save on washing up 

Hi,

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-FP-12DC-Collection-12-Cup-Processor/dp/B002I5DMTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380053570&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+12+cup+food+processor

Although fairly expensive, the darn thing is unreal. Especially if you want to make homemade mayo. It is also very heavy too, so you would need to be prepared for that. A good location is helpful if you have to lift it up and down. But wow this thing is amazing.

@SharynF faux potatoes is just mashed cauliflower - probably just should have said that. I'm also interested in doing "rice" textured cauliflower. That blender sounds amazing.

@Summer Wow, you weren't kidding about expensive. I may have to save up for that one but it might be worth it because I get the feeling I'll be using it a lot.

I mash my cauliflower with a potato masher! But I don't like smooth and silky mashed potatoes. Texture is good for me. 

My processor was about £120 so not cheap either and it is also heavy. Needs a permanent home on the kitchen counter. The box of blades etc sits in the cupboard underneath. 

Just checked - it's £239 now so dearer than the cuisinart - rip off Britain strikes again!

My processor is a small on that was on offer in Tescos for £15! Makes perfect cauliflower rice, although I have to blitz it in several batches because the bowl is quite small. I use a stick blender for soup. I used to have an enormous all-singing and dancing processor that just took up an entire cupboard and never actually got used!

You can't go wrong with Cuisinart.

I love my Cuisinart food processor. Have had it for 18 years: still going strong!

I also have a  Cuisinart Smart Stick which is a hand/immersion blender. Paid ~$35 for it this summer. Use it every morning to blend coconut oil and clarified butter in my coffee, at other times to make paleo mayo, and have used it to mash cooked cauliflower.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would recommend starting with an immersion/stick blender.  I have one from Cuisinart that cost me abour $30?  It makes the most perfect instant mayo.  No soaking the yolk, no drizzing the oil.  Just dump everything into the jar and go (I use Nom Nom Paleo's Recipe).  It makes perfect creamy soups, right in the pot.  Maybe Cuisinart will hire me to promote their product? I love it.

My standard food processer is the "economy model" from Black and Decker.  It is rock solid but has no frills.  It is also VERY LOUD.  But it only cost about $35 and it has a decent capacity, 4 cups I think?  Works like a charm.  I haven't tried something like coconut butter yet.  I think that might be something that would give it a hard time.

I recently bought a Ninja paid about 160$ for it but it is a regular size blender with two single serve cups with blade attachment for them as well as a food processor bowl that can be attached.  I love it.  Got it at Walmart.  I too am looking for an inexpensive immersion blender for mayo and quick thinks that I don't want to break out my big blender for.

Archived