day 5 and worst run ever. marathon in 2 weeks

ginjaswag

worst run EVAAAA! only went 7 today. ok so I did eat half a head of cabbage last night which was the WORST idea ever. thank god I was running outdoors but the cramps oommgg. horrible. but I also just felt horrible. Legs were heavy, and I felt really slow, I could feel myself working and normally well I don't. i don't even realize im running most of the time. Honestly getting a little worried about this meal plan and the marathon. The actual run is Oct 6 :/

You should be better by the time you get to your marathon. But watch out for eating too many green fibrous veggies the night before /morning of. Starchy ones will be better right before.

My work outs in those first 2 weeks were bad. But my triathlon was closer to end of week 3 and I did as well as I could with the amount of training I managed this year. But some people do suggest waiting till after your event to start a whole30. It depends on what your race goals vs diet goals are....

Definitely skip things like half a head of cabbage before a run!!! Sweet potatoes every day saved me during my whole30. I still eat half a sweet potato every day with breakfast. I can feel it when I don't get enough good veggie carbs and fat. My runs are harder and I am slower for sure. Hang in there. You should feel better in time for your marathon, but don't be afraid of adding extra carbs before a training run and especially before the race. You need to try different fuels for during the race too. Don't want to mess around with that on race day!

Also, what was your training load the two days prior to your " bad run" Tracking these things helps...

Try to notice patterns in your energy/ performance as correlated to your training . Example, you may notice that your runs were great after a light deload day, good after a mid distance fast run, but the day after running sprints and hills was aweful.... Meaning even though your sprint WO was short it was much more intense and you burnt off your glycogen stores and had nothing the next day because your recovery meals weren't sufficient....

Everyone has bad days....the key is trying to figure out the patterns and rest/ fuel in accordance , so you know you can peak on race day!

day 8-  the hardest part of the day for me is around 2 to 5 that window is dangerous. I notice myself wanting to fill this hole inside of me and food is the easiest drug of choice for me. Ive been sober for 4 years so I know that this is totally my food addiction kicking in and wanting to fill that void is common. But I now have a window to look at whats going on. I don't always act appropriately but its a start. Im usually angry lonely or tired. I commented that in anothers blog but I felt like writing my own on it as well. Food has been my go to for SO long that I know I cant expect to be a full blown perfect paleo eater after 8 days , which is what id like.

When these feelings in the afternoon come up I am trying to work through them. which I don't actually know how to do but just recognizing is a start. Just stopping when I feel it, and I feel it FULL FORCE, like a brick wall. I get anxious and cant sit still. All I want to do is eat something its like my way of calming down. Looking for and trying new techniques. one day at a time.

When these feelings in the afternoon come up I am trying to work through them. which I don't actually know how to do but just recognizing is a start. Just stopping when I feel it, and I feel it FULL FORCE, like a brick wall. I get anxious and cant sit still. All I want to do is eat something its like my way of calming down. Looking for and trying new techniques. one day at a time.

Stop, drop, and do Burpees!!!!! It's a cure all...

I despise running in the afternoons....this whole teaching thing really gets in the way of my morning workout routine! I love starting my days with a run or WOD. Yes, having the time to do it in the afternoon is better than not being able to do it all, but still, give me my mornings back!!!

Archived