More than one cup of coffee?

I have made the switch to bullet proof coffee and am enjoying it. It gives me that morning boost that I need :-)

I have read that we should not have coffee after noon. My question is that I have been having that typical afternoon slump, even with a nicely balanced big lunch, would a coffee after lunch just be continuing to lean on the crutch? And even so is that really so bad when swapping a little cup of coffee for sugar? Sugar is my big issue.

• Moderators

You can drink coffee after lunch without impairing your Whole30. The question is whether it will impair your sleep. The half-life of caffeine varies among individuals according to a variety of circumstances, but 5-6 hours is a reasonable number to start with. That means if you drink one cup of coffee at 8 AM, you have half the caffeine left in your system at 1-2 PM. If you drink another cup of coffee at 2 PM, you have half of that second cup's caffeine at 7-8 PM. On a two cup day, you would have nearly 3/4 of a cup of coffee's caffeine in you as you approach bed time. Factors that slow the elimination of caffeine from your body includes taking oral contraceptives, being pregnant, or having any kind of liver disorder. The key to good sleep begins many hours before bed time. 

I am on day 4. Sleep is no problem, lights out at 9, asleep by 9:15...up at 5-5:10. I usually bring a cappuccino in the car at 1:30 when I go to pick up my DD from school and never had trouble sleeping, although in the evenings I would often have a couple of beers, so that would be a factor.

If I had a coffee at noon-ish I don't think it would hamper me sleep but I just don't know....one trial day and I would know. However, what I am concerned about is trading one bad habit (sugar) for another, that afternoon cap was also sugary.

I think it would be fine, as long as it doesn't impact my sleep, the afternoon slump really sucks. Just. Looking for some other opinions.

Archived