Hunger issues

I am on day 2 of my Whole30, and have been following all the rules. When I eat, I put a lot of food on my plate...lots of fat, protein, and veggies..sometimes a bit of fruit. I eat until I am full, and I really do feel full right after my meal. However, about 30 minutes to an hour after my meal is done I start feeling hunger...well, I think it's hunger. It's an empty stomach feeling, but I don't know how I can be hungry just after eating. Is this normal? Is it just a different kind of "full" feeling because of what I'm eating (and not eating) now? Should I just try to eat bigger meals even though I'd feel like I was stuffing myself if I ate more?

I know the feeling you speak of, I get that too! And it makes me want to grab something more to nibble on (usually something bad). I think it might be mild indigestion, especially if you feel it shortly after eating. Some ginger or peppermint tea might help (Yogi and Tazo both make good ones).

If were eating higher carb meals previous to Whole30, it could just be carb withdrawal and digestive system changes. Grains/sugars ferment in the gut, and when they are eliminated from the diet, the digestive system does a comple overhaul.

I am on Day 16 and suddenly, today, HUNGRY. Stomach growling hungry which is very odd because for the last 10-12 days I've had no appetite at all and never felt hungry or the sugar crashes that I experienced before starting.

I did eat. I had some nuts and vegetables and I made sure to add more protein to my lunch today. But this is also the first day since starting that I feel like I want to throw it all in and just have a peanut butter sandwich! But I didn't and I won't.

I haven't had anything off plan that would start the hunger cycling again, so this is very confusing.

Any ideas?

I don't have any answers for you, except that I know how hard it is to be patient with your body as it adjusts. Although there are general guidelines on the body's weekly response to Whole30, we are all individuals, so some may react in a different way and/or at a different time. The digestive system is an incredibly compex organ. You might want to experiment with adding either more protein or more fat at meals, and see what happens.

I don't have any answers for you, except that I know how hard it is to be patient with your body as it adjusts. Although there are general guidelines on the body's weekly response to Whole30, we are all individuals, so some may react in a different way and/or at a different time. The digestive system is an incredibly compex organ. You might want to experiment with adding either more protein or more fat at meals, and see what happens.

This!

I did this today by skipping eggs and veggies for breakfast and stuck to a large portion of chicken breast and 1/2 an avocado. I made it to lunch much less hungry than previously. I had a heap of veggies with lunch to make up, I will add even more veg tonight!

Archived