Feeling....pudgy.

Hi all, I'm on day 19 and feeling fairly...pudgy. I also feel like my stomach is unusually "heavy." My clothes fit strangely...they're loose in some parts, and tight in others (like my pants, tight in the waist).

The first week, I felt REALLY great, very "light". But in the past two weeks, I introduced cashews into the program, and I'm thinking perhaps they're the culprit? I'm not eating them today or for another few days to see if I feel better. I'm also taking probiotics, but my BMs are pretty loose and floaty and have been for the entirety of the program.

Also note: I've been pesca-vegetarian for the past 12 years. But I've introduced BACON for the Whole30 (my husband was making some one morning and I couldn't resist!!! it's yums)

Here's what I've been eating for the past 3 days, just to give you all an idea. 

Today:

M1: 1.5 eggs (we ran out!!), scrambled, with CO. 2 mini bell peppers, half a tomato sliced & drizzled with EVOO. between 8-9 olives. 1 small bowl of watermelon.

M2: Tuna "salad" - 1/2 can of tuna mixed with 1/4 avocado, drizzled with EVOO, green onions

1 cup carrots, 1 cup cauliflower soup, 3/4 cut butternut squash soup, handful of almonds

*soups are homemade

Yesterday:

M1: 1 egg, hard boiled. 2 mini bell peppers. 1/4 avocado. a few olives.

M2: A bowl of green beans, stewed with tomatoes & onions.  4oz of oven-baked Tilapia. 1 cup butternut squash soup and a carrot. monkey salad: 1/2 banana, handful coconut flakes, closed fist of cashews.

Snack: apple

M3: Tuna "salad" - 1/2 can of tuna mixed with 1/4 avocado, drizzled with EVOO, green onions, eaten in lettuce wraps, 2 mini bell peppers, olives. applesauce with some slivered almonds.

The day before:
M1: 2 scrambled eggs in CO. 2 mini bell peppers. 1/2 tomato diced + 1/4 avocado mushed and drizzled in EVOO.

Snack: Monkey salad: 1/2 banana + handful of coconut flakes

M2: a big salad with 2pcs bacon, 1 hard boiled egg, lettuce, tomatoes, 1/2 avodaco with balsamic vinegar and EVOO. 1 cup butternut squash soup. 1 carrot.

M3: A bowl of green beans, stewed with tomatoes and onions. 4oz oven-baked tilapia, 1/2 avocado, mashed, 1/2 cup of beets. 1/2 cup of applesauce.

I've been trying not to "snack" by eating bigger meals, but anything more than what I've described above and I can't finish my plate - yet I still get hungry between meals. I check to see that I'm really hungry (and not emotional or stressed) by drinking a glass of water first and assessing. 

I also don't do that much exercise (don't judge! I'm realllly bad) except some reps with the resistance band, 2-3x/week. I'm not doing the Whole30 to lose weight (although all weight loss is welcome), but rather to figure out what really works for my body, etc. I just don't like feeling "heavy."

Thoughts?

Jeepers! I would starve to death on what you are eating! I do exercise a lot, so need to eat more but that seems like so little food to me. What you describe sounds like bloating, rather than fat gain. I would eat bigger meals, add meat and sweet potato . Why the half bananas and tomatoes , avocados etc? Do you have a small appetite or are you trying to control calories?

What you're describing definitely sounds like bloating to me - I might look first at your nut intake (you mentioned cutting those out) and limit your raw veggies for awhile. Go for higher quantities of cooked veggies. Also, maybe try switching out your morning eggs for another protein. Some people get gassy when they eat eggs.

Jeepers! I would starve to death on what you are eating! I do exercise a lot, so need to eat more but that seems like so little food to me. What you describe sounds like bloating, rather than fat gain. I would eat bigger meals, add meat and sweet potato . Why the half bananas and tomatoes , avocados etc? Do you have a small appetite or are you trying to control calories?

Okay, I was thinking the exact same thing -- I eat way more than that! Glad I'm not the only one. For a second I panicked that I was eating too much...(am also pretty active)

Echoing what the other ladies have said, you need to eat more! Many of your meals contain loads of vegies - especially when you include soup which would be more than a cup of the vegetable variety in the soup. This volume may be causing bloating.

I think your protein portions sound on the low side. A serve of eggs is as many as you can actually hold in your hand - unless you have tiny hands, that's likely to be 3-4!

Increasing the protein will also help keep you satisfied for longer and may stop the snacking.

Bacon is considered a fat source on the whole 30, so make sure to use it as a condiment whilst including enough protein.

It definitely ties back to all those years of hearing "if you want to be healthy and lose weight you must eat less!". During my first W30 I couldn't believe how much I was eating. I thought I would come out of it having gained 10lbs rather than lost. Eat and be full!

Thanks everyone. This is THE most protein I've eaten in my entire life. I tried three eggs this morning and had a hard time finishing my meal. It's a slow work in progress, but hey...at least it's progress in the right direction. :)

I'm thinking of extending the program to 45 days. We'll see how things go in the next week or so....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Yes! DEFINITELY better. I'm on day 30 today (woohoo!)...getting all sorts of anxious about the reintroduction phase. My pants are starting to fit looser too, which is always a plus.

I decided I'm going to introduce everything except sugar for the next 15 days. I don't know if I've fully slayed the sugar dragon...I'm kind of scared that I won't be able to stop once I have it. 

What I AM looking forward to...Greek Yogurt! Oh how I have missed thee....

Another big Greek yogurt fan here! After my first whole30 I found I no longer wanted to eat the gluten free oats, and dark chocolate that I used to eat. I broke those habits. HOWEVER my Greek yogurt consumption went from one pot a day up to three or four. We all have foods that trigger over eating and yogurt is mine.I am on my second whole 30 and when it finishes, after a weekend break for my sisters wedding, I am starting another. I am finding it really enjoyable now, trying new vegetables and new recipes. I am not sure one whole 30 is enough for some of us, I have been a yoyo dieter/ binge eater for 30 years. I think it's going to take longer for me. Glad to hear it's going well for you now : ))

Archived