beef stew!

LTRocket

I did a pot roast in mine last week. Put like 15 cloves of garlic in the roast (stabbed it all over, Dexter style), salt and pepper. Whatever veg I had on hand (including a can of *gasp* peas that I've had for too long (hey, I'm not W30), some mushrooms on their last legs, carrots, and a few wrinkly potatoes (again, not W30, trying to save money for the time being). I've also put parsnips in (not this time), rutabagas, turnips, etc. to substitute for potatoes. We just happened to have them on hand and dying before my eyes (can't waste food! It wastes money!).

On top of all that, I poured half a container of stock (grocery store stuff), I think it was chicken. Cook on low for 8 hours. Mmm. It's still delicious.

I made a stew yesterday because I didn't have time to thaw out a roast (forgot to do it the night before). I had already-chopped stew meat from my half cow, so I thawed about 2 pounds, then seasoned with salt and pepper and seared it in a nice hot stainless steel pan with some fat. Then I chopped up some carrots, onions, celery, and leeks (got some baby leeks at the farmer's market), and tossed them in a pot with the beef. I used red wine to deglaze the pan I seared the beef in, but chicken or beef stock would work as well, then I poured it into the pot with another 4 cups of stock and about half a can of tomato paste. Tossed in some fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary from my garden and a few cloves garlic. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for about 2-3 hours. since you want to use the crock pot, sear the meat still and deglaze the pan still, but otherwise toss everything into the crock pot on low for probably 7-8 hours or on high for maybe 4-5 hours.

I made a stew yesterday because I didn't have time to thaw out a roast (forgot to do it the night before). I had already-chopped stew meat from my half cow, so I thawed about 2 pounds, then seasoned with salt and pepper and seared it in a nice hot stainless steel pan with some fat. Then I chopped up some carrots, onions, celery, and leeks (got some baby leeks at the farmer's market), and tossed them in a pot with the beef. I used red wine to deglaze the pan I seared the beef in, but chicken or beef stock would work as well, then I poured it into the pot with another 4 cups of stock and about half a can of tomato paste. Tossed in some fresh thyme, oregano, sage, and rosemary from my garden and a few cloves garlic. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, simmer for about 2-3 hours. since you want to use the crock pot, sear the meat still and deglaze the pan still, but otherwise toss everything into the crock pot on low for probably 7-8 hours or on high for maybe 4-5 hours.

I've made beef stew very similar to what Vian describes above - both on the stove top and in a slow cooker.  I haven't used the high setting on the slow cooker.  I usually go with 8 hours on low.

My $0.02 - I actually like stew a lot more than pot roast.  I find that, with a pot roast, the flavor of the broth, herbs, aromatics, s&p, etc. don't get into the middle of the roast.  With a stew, there's a lot more meat surface area to be impregnated with all those yummy flavors.

• 3 weeks later...

Turnips make a great potato substitute. The stew I made last time was a bit watery, so this time I cut the liquid and it seems better. I don't use a lot of ingredients since I have a lot of food intolerances (FODMAPS). But I got some grass fed chuck that I cut into squares and browned that and added in a can of tomato paste, which also helped thicken up the stew. I've also been told using arrowroot can thicken the liquid. I am off roading at the moment and I did add a cup of red wine to the stew. I think it helps bring out the beef flavor. I also have my own beef stock (easy to make in the crock pot, and you can get 6-8 stew servings out of one stock preparation).

• 10 months later...

So I am going to be doing beef stew in a pressure cooker, and can see the reason we can't use beef broth (sugar, and soy). Potatoes have now been approved for whole30, so I am using at least the healthier red potatoes. Putting celery, carrots, onion, beef, diced tomatoes, not sure if going to use coconut oil for the first time or just use reg olive oil.

I've never made beef stew before and have seen many recipes online, of course all with different ingredients and seasonings. thought about doing, salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder, 1tsp ground mustard, 2 bay leaves, 3-5c water, 1/4tsp of cumin (because never use so not sure how strong would be), saw that puree cauliflower might work as a thickening agent, so thinking about that because don't want soup, i want stew. Not sure what other spices to use and saw that in a pressure cooker, just brown the meat, remove and put water and veggies and seasonings, cook for a few min, then add beef back and pressure cook for about 15min, natural pressure release (10Min) off heat.

Any suggestions to other seasonings?

Archived