Cheryl's Whole30 Log -- Start Date: 7.18.12

Cheryl J.

Day 0: Technically, in my neck of the woods (Santa Barbara, CA), it's 7 minutes away from July 18th, my start day, but I'm excited to get started. I've finished off or thrown away all my "bad" foods and started eating according to the Whole30 this afternoon. I've also started tracking calories with FitDay.com, which I've been doing on and off for at least a year.

Things to note about my first set of Whole30 groceries: the beef is grass-fed, not "grass-finished," because I couldn't find that kind of beef at Trader Joe's; the eggs aren't organic (after the price of the beef, I decided not to drop more money on organic eggs); however, I did buy organic kale, as per "The Clean Sixteen," but not organic spinach or arugula; and the balsamic vinegar has sulfites in it, which are to be avoided, although I don't know exactly why.

Here's my Whole30 maiden fare:

organic kale

spinach

arugula

grass-fed ground beef

organic chicken breasts (the label says the chickens were allowed free range in a spacious area, but were fed on a diet of corn and soy)

dry-roasted, unsalted almonds

cauliflower

broccoli

Brussels sprouts

asparagus spears

eggs

peppermint tea

jasmine green tea

sparkling mineral water, flavored with lime

olive oil & balsamic vinegar

sea salt

ground cumin & various spices

bell peppers

cod

sardines

avocados

Thanks, Derval!

Day 1: Meal 1: 1 tightly packed cup each of spinach, arugula, and kale; half a chicken breast; half a cup of shredded bell peppers; two slices of avocado; 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar + a little extra drizzled over the chicken; 1 tablespoon of EVOO; a couple swallows of lime-flavored sparkling water; 16 oz. of regular and jasmine-flavored green tea ('bye-bye, sweetner).

Snack: 2 sardines packed in spring water, drained, w/ about 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard sauce.

Meal 2: second salad, exactly the same as the first one; 16 oz. peppermint-flavored tea

I went to a Starbucks and had a 12 oz. coffee, black, with a few shakes of cinnamon, just to see if I could drink it all without creamer or sweetner. I did!

Meal 3: third salad, ditto the other two.

Pre-Bedtime Snack: sardines; 16 oz. each of chamomile and kava tea (I remembered that the kava tea has stevia leaf in it, giving it a slight sweetness, but it's certainly not a major, or intended, cheat, so I'll finish what I have and not buy anymore)

I went on about a 30-min. (or less) bike ride and run tonight and really enjoyed myself!

Lastly, I've been thinking about some foods and fluids that might creep back into my diet after The W30. I'm going to list them here to target them in preparation for the piecemeal reintroduction plan in IASWF:

- red wine

- cocktails

- dark chocolate

- quality aged cheese

- pico de gallo (although it's technically Whole30-approved, I'm not eating it because it contains a lot of tomato, which is a fruit, and I am denying myself any fruit [except avocado] in order to increase fat loss)

- nuts, esp. almonds, in larger quantities than I will eat during The W30 (again, for purposes of fat loss)

- creamer in my coffee

- stevia

- fruit

(P.S. I also have to admit I couldn't resist weighing myself, but I won't do it again, at least not until my first iteration of the program is over.)

Last night, I was so psyched about the program and felt so good that I COULD NOT get to sleep -- I didn't fall asleep until dawn, after 32 oz. of double-bagged tea and 2 anti-histamine capsules! This is somewhat ironic, given that I'm hoping the program will help me beat my insomnia, and -- at least temporarily -- it seems to have abetted my insomnia, but for good reasons! When I finally did get to sleep, I woke up 7 hours later feeling much better than I usually do upon waking.

I also had my first "denial" dream last night: I dreamed I was standing in line at the grocery store with my dad, who had bought three bottles of flavored Smirnoff vodka. I looked longingly at them and at some more booze in a case by the check-out line, thinking of all the tasty cocktails I could make... and then I remembered, "Oh, yeah, I can't have that stuff; I'm on The Whole30." :lol:

Day 2: Meal 1: a chicken salad exactly like all the previous ones, 2 sardines w/ 1 tbspn. of mustard sauce,16 oz. of jasmine green tea

1.5-hour bike ride followed by sparkling mineral water and green tea

Meal 2: half a chicken breast, 1 cup of cauliflower, half a cup of shredded bell peppers, flavored with poultry seasoning, cumin, salt, and pepper; 3-cup salad of spinach, arugula, and kale, with 1 tblspn. each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Snack: 16 oz. black iced coffee w/ a few shakes of cinnamon, 1 oz. of dry-roasted, unsalted almonds

Meal 3: 2 1/4-lb. grass-fed beef burgers, spiced, w/ 1 tbspn. of mustard sauce each -- the first one was so good I wanted another one

Wrap-Up: I'm not as psyched and high on energy as I was yesterday, although I think it was more psychological than physiological and had to do with being so pleased to have discovered the program, but I'm still generally feeling pretty good -- my energy has been higher than usual and stable throughout the day; it's almost midnight now, and I don't feel that tired at all. However, to try to get to sleep sooner than I did last night, before bed I'm going to double-bag my tea and take a couple of anti-histamine capsules. I want to get up early and take a bike ride over the course of the Santa Barbara International Marathon, which I'll be running on November 10, so I can start training on it.

Denial Dream #2: I'm at a pastry shop with my mom where all the pastries are ridiculously oversized. I point to an eclair about as long as a baseball bat: "I would like to have that one, please." The lady behind the counter takes it out of the case and brings it to the cash register. "Don't you have something smaller?," I ask, so she brings out another one about a foot long. "I'll have that, thank you." And that was the end of the dream. Strange, no? There might be some Freudian symbolism going on there, too -- sex and food.

I took 4 anti-histamine capsules and drank a strong mug of kava tea, but still had trouble getting to sleep last night. Banning myself from my usual recourse of a nightcap (or two, or three...) and grappling with my insomnia is so far the hardest part of this program.

Day 3: Meal 1: leftover burger w/ 2 slices of avocado and 1 tblspn. of mustard sauce; 12 oz. of instant coffee, black; lime sparkling mineral water

Meal 2: 2nd leftover burger w/ 1 slice of avocado and 1 tblspn. of mustard sauce; 24 oz. of instant coffee, black; lime sparkling mineral water

1.5-hour+, 10-mile bike ride. I was being completely unrealistic when I said I was going to bike the entire marathon course yesterday -- I only covered the initial 10-mile loop before it got dark and I tuckered out. And during the bike ride I found out that my iPod is crazy broke, and everything pretty much went downhill from there with regard to my mood. I hit quite a slump today, except for one brief spike of energy in the afternoon -- I'm going to blame the slump on the anti-histamine. The energy spike was provided by a nice Facebook photo of my brother with his new girlfriend, which totally made my day and powered my walk to the local food co-op to buy some Natural Calm. If it wasn't for that, I would have had an all-day slump. Afterward, I didn't have the motivation to do anything other than take a nap, but instead I forced myself to go ahead and cover the first 10 miles of the marathon on my bike. By the time I got home, I definitely needed an anti-stress potion, so I tried some Natural Calm, and it's already beginning to make me feel better.

Meal 3: 1/2 tspn. of Natural Calm; 1 oz. of dry roasted, unsalted almonds; chicken salad

Bedtime Snack: 1.5 tspn. of Natural Calm, half a chicken breast (some hard-to-digest protein to send more blood into my digestive system and make me drowsy)

Nobody looks for a smaller...eh..eclair...in a sex dream :lol:

Hope today is less slumpy.

Oh, no, they don't! ;)

Denial Dream #3: I'm cooking chicken in the kitchen of a house I have broken-and-entered into. The owners arrive while I'm still in the middle of things, and I run out to the back deck and hide behind some potted plants. At least there's no forbidden food involved this time. In a second, unrelated dream, my family teases me for not indulging in some pastry and I end up beating up my brother. Funny thing about these dreams: my family is always involved when they are about bad food.

Last night, the Natural Calm made me feel relaxed, but it still took me at least an hour to fall alseep. I woke up 8 -- or fewer -- hours later, feeling O.K., but certainly not as bad as normal.

Day 4: Meal 1: chicken salad; 16 oz. of jasmine green tea w/ lemon; 12 oz. of instant coffee, black

Snack 1: 1/2 tspn. of Natural Calm; 1 oz. of dry roasted, unsalted almonds

Snack 2: 1 can of sardines (4), flavored w/ sea salt; 12 oz. of iced coffee, black, w/ a few shakes of cinnamon; triple espresso w/ a few shakes of cinnamon

Meal 2: half a chicken breast, 1 cup of cauliflower, half a cup of shredded bell peppers, 2 slices of avocado, flavored w/ cumin, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, & sea salt; 1 tspn. of Natural Calm

Bedtime: 2 tspns. of Natural Calm, 1 oz. of almonds, 16 oz. of herbal tea flavored w/ lemon wedge

Middle of the Night: 2 more tspns. of Natural Calm

Wrap-Up: Still felt a little less than stellar today -- in fact, was feeling the "Kill All the Things" stage, according to the timeline (but didn't strike out at anyone, fortunately :) ). I think it's because I'm beginning to get bored with the food, and that boredom registers as psychological tension, which in turn causes small, unfortunate incidents during the day to balloon out of proportion -- e.g., I toppled a grocery bag full of trash while walking my bike out of my apartment, I knelt down to pick it up and the cord of my earbuds got caught under my knee, ripping them out of my ears when I stood up... and, well, suddenly, life wasn't so good. (And my iPod is broken. Booger.) Still, I stayed on track today, and I'm hoping I'll eventually recover that feeling of awesomeness I had on Day 1.

Again, I had trouble falling asleep: I went to bed at about 1:00 a.m. and didn't actually sleep until well after 3:00 a.m. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, I woke up with a terrible splitting headache in my right temple, cause unknown -- perhaps the magnesium overdose? The almonds? The fact that it was the beginning of my cycle? Some confluence of these factors? However, I did wake up (quite late, as usual) feeling well, the headache only faintly present. I think I need to cut back on the Natural Calm.

Day 5: Meal 1: chicken salad, lime sparkling mineral water, 32 oz. of herbal tea flavored w/ lemon wedge

Meal 2: chicken salad, 16 oz. of herbal tea flavored w/ lemon

Meal 3: triple espresso, flavored w/ 2 tblspns. of creamed coconut; half a chicken breast, 1/2 a cup of shredded bell peppers, 1 slice of avocado, flavored w/ balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper, cumin, & poultry seasoning; 1 cup each of cauliflower and broccoli, flavored w/ 1 tblspn. of olive oil, peper, & sea salt -- cauliflower w/ olive oil tastes as good as, or even better than, buttered popcorn!

Bedtime Snack: spinach-and-egg souffle; 12 oz. of coffee, black, w/ dash of pumpkin pie spice; 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

My hit-list of currently verboten dishes & drinkes I'd like to try in-between W30s:

- a smoothie involving a banana & coconut milk

- Mark Sisson's Primal Energy Bars

- Primal pies: apple, pumpkin, berry

- Primal dairy-free custard

- Primal eggnog

- macadamia coconut/dark chocolate bark

- holiday spice balls

- Primal cheesecake pizza (!)

- Primal almond macaroons

- decadent coconut milk whipped cream w/ berries & dark chocolate coconut mousse (!)

- Sarah Fragoso's brandy zabaglione

- Paleo chocolate custard

- Paleo coconut-apple pudding

- Paleo blackberry cobbler

- Paleo macaroons

- decadent fruit dip

- Laura's Amazing Cookies (from Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo)

- Paleo apple muffins

- Tim Ferriss's/The Aviary's tequila-infused hot chocolate

- agave-sweetened cashew ice cream (thanks to forum member Lora Friedenthal for bringing this to my attention)

As per Steve Pavlina's advice, I stayed up until I was truly tired, at 4 a.m. (instead of going to bed and trying to sleep with still too much energy), and got up 8 or fewer hours later feeling perfectly fine. Now I just need to reset my biological clock from night owl to early bird. Also, last night I had my first acceptance -- rather than denial -- dream...

Acceptance Dream #1: I'm at a restaurant with some friends; the waiter asks me to try a dish of stewed berries, which I do, and which immediately makes me feel guilty because I'm not supposed to be having any sweet fruit during my W30, but then I just shrug it off and think, "Well, at least it was just berries and not ice cream." Then I turn to the menu and start looking at the beef and veggie options. End of dream. No forbidden foods, no longing -- I call that an acceptance dream and a marker of true psychological progress.

Day 6: Meal 1: 12 oz. of decaf coffee, black; rest of spinach-and-egg souffle

Snack 1: 12 oz. of decaf, black; 1 oz. of almonds

Snack 2: 12 oz. of decaf, black, w/ pumpkin pie spice & a dollop of coconut milk

Meal 2: half a chicken breast, half a cup of broccoli, 1 cup of cauliflower, flavored w/ sea salt, pepper, turmeric, cumin, poultry seasoning, olive oil, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, & balsamic vinegar

Snack 3: coconut milk, coconut milk, coconut milk... I indulged in it for a little while in front of the TV the way some people indulge in vanilla frosting -- ate an obscene amount until I forced myself to stop; more black coffee

Meal 3: 1/2-lb. of grass-fed ground beef, spiced; 1.5 cups of spiced Brussels sprouts; chased w/ lime sparkling mineral water

"Dessert": after all that coconut milk for Snack 3, this is truly disgusting, but here goes: 1/4 cup of coconut milk w/ ~ 1 tspn. ground coffee, 2 of unsweetened shredded coconut meat, & a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice, followed by yet another cup of coffee. What can I say, other than that I needed an ice cream fix?!

Before Bed: 2 tspns. of Natural Calm, 16. oz of decaf herbal tea w/ lemon

Day 7: Meal 1: 1/4-lb. of grass-fed ground beef, 1 cup of Brussels sprouts, spiced; 12 oz. of decaf, black, w/ pumpkin pie spice & turmeric

Bike ride to public library.

Snack 1: tin of sardines (4), flavored w/ sea salt

Snack 2: ~40 sea-salted almonds (2 oz.); 12 oz. of coffee, black, w/ a few shakes of cinnamon

Bike ride home.

Snack 3: 1/4 cup of coconut milk w/ ~1/2 tblspn. unsweetened shredded coconut meat & ~1/2 tspn. of pumpkin pie spice (my new crack!)

Meal 2: ~1/4 lb. of grass-fed ground beef, ~1 cup of Brussels sprouts, spiced, chased w/ lime sparkling mineral water

"Dessert": another 1/4 cup of coconut milk w/ ~ tspn. unsweetened shredded coconut meat & ~1/2 tspn. of pumpkin pie spice, in preparation for...

50-min. training run, 50-min. run/walk home

Before Bed: sparkling mineral water, herbal tea, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

End of Week 1! Yay! :)

Day 8: Meal 1: ~1/4 lb. or less of spiced grass-fed ground beef, ~1.5 cups of spiced Brussels sprouts; ~ 1 tblspn. of coconut milk (the last of it! :( ); leftover coconut water in the can (~1/2 cup); 12 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon

Snack 1: 16 oz. of iced decaf, black; 16 oz. of hot decaf, black; 1 oz. of almonds; 2 hard-boiled eggs w/ salt, pepper, turmeric, & cumin

Meal 2: ~1/2 cup of Brussels sprouts, 2 cups of arugula w/ EVOO & balsamic vinegar, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Snack 2: 1 oz. of almonds, 12 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon & 2 more tspns. of Natural Calm

Snack 3 (eating out of boredom): 3 more hard-boiled eggs, 12 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon

Wrap-Up: 3 problems solved at the end of Week 1:

1.) No more insomnia.

2.) No more problems with sleeping more than 8 hours.

3.) No more grogginess upon waking.

But now I have another problem to tackle: resetting my biological clock from that of "night owl" to "early bird."

Day 9: Meal 1: 0.45 lb. of cod & ~4.5 oz. of asparagus, flavored w/ thyme, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, cumin, creamed coconut, fennel seeds, & caraway seeds; 24 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon; a few kale chips (w/ olive oil, chili powder, onion powder, & cumin for flavoring)

Snack: cherry pie Larabar (ingredients: dates, almonds, unsweetened dried cherries; my only "slip" so far with regard to the "no fruit" rule)

Meal 2: ~0.45 lb. of cod & ~4.5 oz. of asparagus; a few kale chips

Snack 1: 12 oz. of decaf coffee, black; 2 servings of sweet potato pudding (1/2 cup of cooked sweet potato chunks, 3 tbspns. of coconut milk, 1 tbspn. or less of ground coffee, 1 tbspn. of shredded coconut meat, a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice -- fantastic!)

Snack 2, Before Bedtime: 1 cup of sweet potato chunks w/ sea salt, 12 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 10: Meal 1: rest of the cod & asparagus, 24 oz. of decaf, black, w/ a few shakes of pumpkin pie spice

Meal 2: 2 cups of chopped, cooked yams; coconut milk; kale chips; 12 oz. of black decaf coffee

Meal 3: 1 chicken breast, spiced; broccoli

Meal 4: 2nd chicken breast; yam chunks (to munch on); yam "pudding;" more black coffee; 2 tspns. of Natural Calm before bed

Day 11: Meal 1: ~1/4 of chicken breast, ~2 cups of broccoli, 24 oz. of black decaf coffee w/ a little pumpkin pie spice & turmeric

Meal 2: ~1-1/4 cups of yam chunks w/ sea salt; I broke down with regard to my "no-fruit-except-avocado" rule and had 1/2 cup of TJ's frozen wild blueberries w/ ~1/4 cup of coconut milk; that was divine, so I had some more blueberries in a smoothie concoction (1/2 cup of frozen wild blueberries, 1/2 cup of yams, ~1/4 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 tblspn. of unsweetened shredded coconut meat, 1/2 tspn. of pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 tblspn. of ground coffee)

Meal 3: 1 cup of yam chunks, flavored w/ sea salt & turmeric; ~1 cup of arugula w/ 1 tblspn. of balsamic vinegar

Day 12: Meal 1: 1 cup of TJ's frozen wild blueberries w/ ~1/2 cup of coconut milk; 1 cup of yam chunks w/ cumin, sea salt, turmeric; & ginger; 12 oz. of black decaf coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice & turmeric

Snack: ~1 cup of blueberries w/ 1/4 cup of coconut milk

Meal 2: 3 "sliders" w/ Portabellini mushroom "buns": 1/8 lb. of spiced ground beef patty + cucumber slice + dab of mustard sauce x 3 (delicious!); "desert": 1 cup of sweet potatoes w/ ~1/2 cup of coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice; 24 oz. of caffeinated black coffee w/ coconut water, pumpkin pie spice, & turmeric

Marathon training run felt awesome! :lol:

Meal 3: 2nd beef patty, 1 cup of sweet potatoes

Before Bed: 12 oz. of herbal tea, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Denial/Acceptance Dream #4: In this dream, I caved and ate a forkful of a creamy layer cake, and then thought, in shock and dismay, "Did I really just eat that?!" But then I looked at myself in the mirror and saw I was perfectly slim, trim, and lean, with a female bodybuilder-type figure, and sporting a mahogany tan. Then the shock and dismay of that bite of layer cake completely dissipated. I call this a denial/acceptance dream because it shows I still have to make a conscious, forced effort to deny myself certain foods, still feel bad when I eat them (in the dreams), but then my improved sense of well-being negates the ill feelings of the "slip," showing that I actually have accepted this way of eating.

Day 13: Meal 1: 1 Portabellini "slider;" 1 cup of sweet potatoes & yams w/ sea salt, lemon, & turmeric; 12 oz. of coffee, black

Meal 2: another Protabellini "slider," another cup of coffee, another cup of sweet potatoes, Natural Calm, a tall glass of cold water

Marathon training run: alternate jogging 5 min. & walking 1 for 8 miles -- felt good, on the whole

Snack: herbal tea, 1.5 oz. of almonds

Meal 3: 12 oz. of herbal tea w/ lemon, 1 small chicken breast, 1 cup of sweet potatoes, Natural Calm

Day 14: Meal 1: 1 medium chicken breast, 1/4 cup of sweet potatoes, 12 oz. of black coffee

Meal 2: 1 medium chicken breast, 1 cup of sweet potatoes, 24 oz. of black coffee

Snack: cauliflower "rice" w/ coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice ("rice pudding" -- a bit of SWMPO)

Meal 3: another chicken breast, 2 oz. of almonds, herbal tea, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 15: Meal 1: 1 Portabellini "slider;" 1 chicken breast; 1 cup of sweet potatoes; 24 oz. of coffee, black

Meal 2: chicken breast, yam, coconut water

Snack: 3 servings of strawberries, blueberries, & coconut milk

Training run was awful -- not sure why.

Snack: 2.5 oz. of almonds, Natural Calm, herbal tea

Day 16: Meal 1: strawberries, blueberries, coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, coffee

Meal 2: 3 portabellini "sliders," 1 cup of sweet potatoes, strawberries, blueberries, coconut milk, coffee

Meal 3: 1/4-lb. beef patty

Before Bed: 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 17: Meal 1: 24 oz. of coffee, black, w/ pumpkin pie spice & turmeric; 1/4-lb. beef patty; 1-1/2 cup of sweet potatoes

Meal 2: 1.5 chicken breasts, cauliflower "rice" w/ coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice ("rice pudding"), 2 oz. of almonds, 12 oz. of decaf coffee at Starbucks

Meal 3: 1 chicken breast, ~1 cup of broccoli, more "rice pudding"

Training run O.K. -- some stomach pain, perhaps b/c I ate too soon beforehand.

Day 18: Meal 1: 1/2 chicken breast, ~1 cup of broccoli w/ olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc.; ~1/2 can of coconut milk w/ pumpkin pie spice

Snack 1: I got a crazy craving for something sweet, chewy, sticky, and gluten-y, so I had 2 Larabars to quell it: the coconut cream pie & lemon bars (ingredients: unsweetened coconut meat, extra virgin coconut oil, dates, almonds, cashews, lemon, natural lemon flavor -- they fit the chewy, gluten-y bill so well that it's hard to believe the manufacturers aren't lying about their ingredients somehow!); 12 oz. of yerba mate

Snack 2: 12 oz. of decaf, black; another Larabar (cherry pie; ingredients: almonds, dates, unsweetened dried cherries)

Meal 2: 1/2 chicken breast, ~1.5 cups of broccoli, flavored w/ olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fennel seed, poultry seasoning, caraway seed, extra cumin, sea salt, & pepper

Meal 3: 1/2 chicken breast w/ spices, 1.5 oz. of almonds

Before Bed: 16 oz. of herbal tea, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 19: Meal 1: 1/2 chicken breast w/ spices (balsamic vinegar, poultry seasoning, sea salt, pepper, fennel seeds, caraway seeds)

Meal 2: 1 beef patty w/ sauteed mushrooms, cucumber slices, 1 cup of sweet potatoes

"Snack" 1: 3 (!) Larabars (blueberry muffin, lemon bar, coconut cream pie; all ingredients only nuts and fruit), 24 oz. of black coffee

Meal 3: 24 oz. of black coffee, 2 cup of sweet potatoes, 2 more (!) Larabars (cashew cookie and cherry pie) -- I know I definitely overdid it with the Larabars today -- I ate way too much fruit/fructose trying to quell the cravings and created a new addiction in doing so. So, for the next 11 days, no more fruit or nuts.

Wrap-Up So Far: I haven't been doing the "wrap-up" portion of these entries lately, I guess because every day is pretty much the same -- the same clean feelings inside, the same energy levels (generally good, stable ones), with a few peaks over the last two weeks or so. I've thought that finishing this program will be more empowering than finishing a marathon, and I still think so. But I think I've also been a little frustrated with the "no-weighing-or-taking-any-other-body-measurements" rule, because I certainly feel lighter and would really like to step on the scale or take circumference measurements with a tape measure to confirm that that feeling has a physical correlate. Seeing some objective evidence of change would help keep me motivated. On the other hand, I understand that the program is not about mere weight-loss but about attaining real health, independent of any body-weight standards. If I do a second W30, I think I will bend the rules a little bit and track progress with the scale and/or tape measure. Not to say that I'm not happy with the program now, but not having objective evidence of progress makes me feel kind of unmoored. And I think I will buy a copy of ISWF from Amazon today.

Day 20: Meal 1: 12 oz. of black coffee, 1 cup of sweet potatoes

Bought Stash #2 since Day 0:

Brussels sprouts

asparagus

pearl onions

bell peppers

green beans

broccoli

arugula

kale

chopped spinach

yams/sweet potatoes

2 whole chicken

2 lbs. of grass-fed ground beef

2 avocados

salmon

cod

Snack: 2 oz. of almonds

Meal 2: asparagus; green beans; pearl onions; Brussels sprouts; baked chicken wing, drumstick, and thigh

Meal 3: more chicken, herbal tea & Natural Calm before bed

Day 21: Meal 1: picked on leftover chicken & veggies, 12 oz. of black coffee, arugula salad w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar

Meal 2: 3 (!) Larabars, strawberries & blueberries w/ coconut milk -- I could not at all stay compliant with my "no-fruit" rule -- 24 oz. of black coffee, more chicken

Day 22: Meal 1: 12 oz. of black coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 cup of strawberries, 1/4 cup of blueberries, more pumpkin pie spice, Lemon Bar Larabar.

The Cappuccino Larabar I ate last night had some vanilla extract in it, which, I've found out from these forums, is not compliant because of its alcohol and possibly sugar content. And I found out from a moderator's reply to someone else's food log that they are for emergencies only, and I certainly have been scarfing them down as if they were perfectly O.K. to eat all the time. :( I'm not going to let that stop me at this point, though, as I've come too far to have to start over with Day 1. When I reach Day 30, I'll do the 10-day reintroduction test, figure out which foods really affect me negatively, and go on to the next W30 -- without Larabars and only one serving of fruit per day, if that.

Meal 2: 25 oz. of coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice; arugula salad; asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts; Cherry Pie Larabar

Meal 3: 3/5 lb. of ground beef in patties w/ mustard & tomato paste, cucumber slices, breast meat from chicken w/ 2 avocado slices

Before Bed: 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Archived