Cheryl's Whole30 Log -- Start Date: 7.18.12

Cheryl J.

Day 22: Meal 1: 12 oz. of black coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 cup of strawberries, 1/4 cup of blueberries, more pumpkin pie spice, Lemon Bar Larabar.

The Cappuccino Larabar I ate last night had some vanilla extract in it, which, I've found out from these forums, is not compliant because of its alcohol and possibly sugar content. And I found out from a moderator's reply to someone else's food log that they are for emergencies only, and I certainly have been scarfing them down as if they were perfectly O.K. to eat all the time. :( I'm not going to let that stop me at this point, though, as I've come too far to have to start over with Day 1. When I reach Day 30, I'll do the 10-day reintroduction test, figure out which foods really affect me negatively, and go on to the next W30 -- without Larabars and only one serving of fruit per day, if that.

Sweets are my thing too. Love them. But fortunately I am no longer ravaged by them.

I have never tried a LaraBar, but they look like "Paleo" candy bars to me. They sound yummy, but backing off of them is probably a good idea. Certainly, they should not replace meals.

Having fruit in moderation on a Whole30 is fine. Why so strict? You seem to be feeling good and probably leaner for your efforts.

Maybe if you just eat a nice serving of fruit with your meal (or as an ingredient in your meal) on a day that you want it you will not backlash and go for the Larabars.

Perhaps instead of worrying about fruit you could try some new and interesting recipes to alleviate boredom?

Myself. I love an innovative whole food cooking frenzy ;).

Hang in there!

Maeva

Sweets are my thing too. Love them. But fortunately I am no longer ravaged by them.

I have never tried a LaraBar, but they look like "Paleo" candy bars to me. They sound yummy, but backing off of them is probably a good idea. Certainly, they should not replace meals.

Having fruit in moderation on a Whole30 is fine. Why so strict? You seem to be feeling good and probably leaner for your efforts.

Maybe if you just eat a nice serving of fruit with your meal (or as an ingredient in your meal) on a day that you want it you will not backlash and go for the Larabars.

Perhaps instead of worrying about fruit you could try some new and interesting recipes to alleviate boredom?

Myself. I love an innovative whole food cooking frenzy ;).

Hang in there!

Maeva

Hi! Thanks for the kind words of encouragement!

I have been feeling lighter and overall better on my W30, except for learning about the Larabars (which are like Paleo "candy bars") and overeating fruit, so now it feels like I've committed a sin or something. Looking on the bright side, though, I ate them (and some fresh fruit) because I really wanted fruit, and I didn't for a second fancy getting a regular candy bar.

Everything else on the diet has been fine (beef, chicken, fish, salad, tea, coffee), and I've been trying new things, like cauliflower "rice" and burgers on mushroom sliders. I'm just going to keep truckin,' probably do a second W30, but be more careful about the fruit, not going crazy by overeating it when I want it. Robb Wolf recommends limiting fruit to 1 serving a day for those looking to lose fat (which I am): http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/thePaleoSolution_QuickStart.pdf.

Thanks again for the advice!

Day 23: Meal 1: Cashew Cookie Larabar (last one, seriously), 1/2 cup of blueberries & strawberries w/ 3 tblspns. of coconut milk, 12 oz. of black coffee, chicken drumsticks, wing, & breast meat, yerba mate

Meal 2: 1/2 cup of strawberries & blueberries, 3 tblspns. of coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice, asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts, arugula salad w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar, 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

I made another mistake today (a real one, not a "slip"): I tasted a sample of tea while I was exploring a downtown shopping center. I saw it was flavored with German rock sugar after I'd tasted it, so I threw away the rest of the sample.

Meal 3: 2 beef patties w/ mustard & tomato paste, nibbled on some more chicken and veggies

Before Bed: 2 tspns. of Natural Calm & ginger tea

Day 24: Meal 1: strawberries & blueberries w/ coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice, veggies (pearl onions, green beans, asparagus, Brussels sprouts), ginger tea

Meal 2: baked chicken & veggies (same as above), coconut milk w/ pumpkin pie spice, 24 oz. of coffee, black, w/ cinnamon & nutmeg

Meal 3: veggies (asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts), more baked chicken

Day 25: Meal 1: sweet potato & coconut milk smoothie w/ pumpkin pie spice, broccoli, herbal tea flavored w/ lime juice

Snack: 12 oz. of black coffee, ~2 oz. of almonds

Meal 2: a little bit of baked chicken, rest of sweet potato smoothie, salmon w/ creamed coconut, a lot of arugula (~5 cups) w/ 2 tblspns. each of olive oil & balsamic vinegar, 12 oz. of coffee

Before Bed: herbal tea & 2 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 26: Meal 1: 24 oz. of black coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice, 12 oz. of iced green tea, salmon, cod pieces, broccoli w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar

Meal 2: mixed veggies (asparagus, green beans), cod pieces, avocado slices w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar, a tall glass of lime-flavored sparkling mineral water

Day 27: Meal 1: asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts, 2 burgers w/ mustard, tomato paste, & avocado slices, bell peppers, 12 oz. of black coffee

Meal 2: 2 fried eggs w/ kale, 1 hard-boiled egg, 12 oz. of black coffee, lime-flavored sparkling mineral water

Before Bed: 3 tspns. of Natural Calm, herbal tea w/ lime, 3rd burger w/ mustard & tomato paste, ~1 cup of leftover mixed veggies (green beans, asparagus, Brussels sprouts) -- because I couldn't fall asleep and thought having a warm, full stomach might help.

Got plenty of exercise today through moving stuff.

I've decided I'll keep journalling on here a bit longer, to record how the re-introduced foods affect me.

Day 28: Meal 1: 16 oz. of black coffee, plate of hard-boiled eggs and avocado slices w/ balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper & olive oil

Meal 2: a lot of fruit -- half a dozen cherries, two small apples, dried fruit, dates, hard-boiled egg w/ salt & pepper, avocado slices

Day 29: Today and the last few days very fatiguing what with packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking; therefore, stuffed my face w/ fruit.

Snack: ~2 oz. of sea-salted almonds, 12 oz. of black iced coffee

Meal 1: again, a lot of fruit -- small apple, a dozen cherries, jicama & tomato salad (like coleslaw w/o the mayo), 3 dates, a handful of mixed dried fruit

Meal 2: burger patty w/ avocado, lettuce, grilled red onions, & balsamic vinegar, coffee w/ pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, ginger

Day 30: Meal 1: black coffee, 2 Cajun spiced chicken breast fillets -- thought they were fine at first, but after I ate them, I took a closer look at the ingredients label and saw in very fine print that the spices contained grain ingredients. @!#*&$?!?@$#%*!

Snack 1: Apple Pie Larabar, berry-flavored sparkling mineral water

Meal 2: 2 (!) bananas w/ almond butter -- I have a fruit problem

Snack 2: 4 pieces of turkey bacon w/ tomato paste, Pecan Pie Larabar

Meal 3: arugula salad w/ turkey bacon, blueberries, red onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil; dessert: banana smoothie w/ coconut milk, blueberries, coffee, & almond butter, cup of coffee -- felt a little sick after this, probably because of all the fruit

Before Bed: 2-3 tspns. of Natural Calm

Day 31: Whole30 #1 Wrap-Up: After resisting the urge throughout the month, I finally stepped on the scale today and found out I lost 4 lbs.; I thought I'd lost more given how much lighter I felt, but it's probably good that I didn't lose more, because I probably would have ended up losing some muscle as well as fat. I also lost over 4 inches in total inches of body measurements (the sum of the circumference of the left and right mid-biceps, left and right mid-thighs, waist, and hips), including 2 inches off my waist and another 2 off my hips -- all the other measurements were pretty much the same.

Fruit (especially Larabars) were my biggest stumbling block on this program and, to a lesser extent, not reading labels closely enough (damn you, chicken filet spice ingredients! :angry:), or not knowing if a particular ingredient was compliant or not (I'm thinking of you in particular, vanilla extract! :angry:).

So, I'm going to do a second Whole30 and really try to leave out fruit this time. Before that, I'll do the 10-day reintroduction program, but still have yet to get my copy of ISWF to see the rules for that, so this might turn into a W32, 33... up to W48.

This was actually done on Aug. 17th & posted the next day: Day 31, Reintroduction 1: dairy & sugar: 1 cup of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia: the cherries and chocolate were cloyingly sweet; had to repress belches; feeling of fullness, but not a satisfied kind of fullness; vague head-achy feeling in forehead and sinuses, which intensified; general sluggishness, kind of like being slightly drunk; strange feeling in back of throat, sort of sore; digestive discomfort; bloody stools (!). Summation: some of these bad feelings might be due to the fact that my eye was irritated by my contact lens, causing my nose to run and perhaps contributing to the head-achy feelings, but still, the hit of super-sweetness isn't worth the after-effects.

I'm on to Reintroduction #2, non-gluten-containing grains, which I think includes corn and rice (?). So I think I'll try some jicama, tomato, and corn salad and report back on how I feel. If the small amount of corn isn't enough, I'll try more of something in the same category.

I ate a huge mess of a salad including purple cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, black beans, corn, chopped snow peas, and jicama (?) with some chicken and avocado thrown in, and balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing; there may not have been enough beans and corn to make a difference in how I felt after eating it, so I had a half cup of fava beans w/ crushed garlic a little later, but didn't feel any worse. I guess I'm O.K. with legumes, but I could easily do without beans.

8/21/12, Day 35: Sort of cheated with the reintroduction period – since the beans and corn didn't seem to have much of a negative effect, if any, I tried another reintroduction the next day: a brownie, then three and a half shots of Johnny Walker Red Label mixed with berry-flavored sparkling mineral water. The brownie gave me head and sinus aches, and of course the Red Label really messed me up after one shot.

8/22/12, Day 36: Another cheat with the reintroduction program, this time with the remainder of the Red Label left over from last night, Coke Zero (which I drank just because it was there), and white wine. I had had a headache earlier, probably because I drank too much caffeine, and the white wine only intensified it. Then I went on a binge: about half a shot of Bailey's Original, then one shot of vodka with milk for mixer, vermouth, and a slice of wheat bread with cheese, a quarter-cup of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, and a blueberry preserve-and-almond-butter sandwich on wheat bread. As a consequence, I totally lost my mental clarity and succumbed to brain fog.

8/23/12: Starting over again. Not only do I feel terrible from the last two days' binge, but my period also began today, creating a perfect storm of awfulness -- head-aching, sinus aching, back pains, diarrhea, anxiety, depression. No more binges.

I've really enjoyed reading your log. And although the way you felt after the Johnny Walker and other "verboten" items probably didn't feel very funny at the time, I laughed at days 35 and 36. Mostly because it sounds like something I would do (and still might). Good luck on your next Whole30. I'm on Day 6. :)

I've really enjoyed reading your log. And although the way you felt after the Johnny Walker and other "verboten" items probably didn't feel very funny at the time, I laughed at days 35 and 36. Mostly because it sounds like something I would do (and still might). Good luck on your next Whole30. I'm on Day 6. :)

Thanks! No, the bingeing was no fun. I haven't started a proper second W30 yet -- I drank a glass of port last night to help me get to sleep -- but I've been compliant otherwise. My insomnia may have returned because of the binge -- only temporarily, I hope. Best of luck with your own W30! It is totally worth doing, and you can always "reset" if you get off track.

8/24-25/12: I'm still between W30s: last night I had several nightcaps to help get to sleep and tonic water (which contains HFCS and other chemical garbage) with breakfast today, and now I'm beginning to feel the ill effects -- the old aches and pains in my chest, back, and stomach. It's my damned insomnia: it's for that that I have the nightcaps, which make me ill. Going to check another forum on this issue for solutions.

For almost a week I've been slipping back into old patterns of behavior, especially concerning alcohol consumption. It's like repeatedly burning one's hand until one learns not to put it near the fire. During the reintroduction program, I learned that everything but legumes and non-gluten grains have bad effects, and during the few days after that I've been learning to really feel when things go wrong and why. For example, last night I had several nightcaps and woke up after only 5 hours of sleep. Initially, I thought I would be O.K.; I ate some broccoli and then some sweet potatoes, but three hours later I was beginning to feel really awful -- not only anxious and weak in my core with the usual attendant feelings of tingling, burning, and aching, but also thinking terrible thoughts. It was due to either the lingering effects of the alcohol in my system (likely), the carbs in the sweet potatoes (least likely), and/or the lack of sleep (most likely). I had told myself I was going to drink a lot of water to flush out the booze and stay awake no matter what, even if I went through the day feeling like a zombie, so I could reset my biological clock. Well, I began to feel worse than just zombie-like, so I eventually gave in, went back to sleep for another 4 hours, and woke up feeling much better, of course.

I could have started the program over again today, except for one stupid mistake I made when I went grocery shopping today: I picked up a jar of MaraNatha almond butter without looking at the ingredients -- it contains evaporated cane sugar, so I won't really be restarting until that nut butter is gone.

• 5 months later...

Whole30 #2 100, Day 1:

Meal 1: canned salmon, almond butter, raw sauerkraut, unsweetened tea flavored with berry juice, coffee

I thought about the events that could come up in the next 30 days and realized that this might be more "Whole30-ish" than strict: I have stage fright, and in order to manage it I take a glass or two of red wine. However, if that's the only exception to the program, then I won't be doing too badly.

Meal 2: canned chicken, almond butter, tea

Meal 3: coffee, vegetable curry w/ chicken, raw sauerkraut, almond butter

Bedtime: Natural Calm, a little more almond butter, and Sleepytime Extra tea

Tired by the evening today -- don't know if it's b/c I've restarted low-carb or not... seems too soon to feel this tired.

Whole100, Day 2:

Meal 1: canned chicken, vegetable curry, coffee, unsweetened tea, almond butter, raw sauerkraut

"Pre-Performance" copa: Corona (and so that makes this a Whole101)

Meal 2: same as above, no coffee (was beginning to get headache), meticulously picked the baby corn out of the curry and was becoming quite P.O.ed about it

O.K., wait a minute... I was reading the posts over on the "100 Days of Awesome" group, and I think I might not be able to post if I'm going to include "transgressions" (even if beer/wine are the ONLY ones). Need to give the replies over there some thought...

Edit: Just posted in the "100 Days of Awesome" group with an explanation and decided, nope, not Day #2. I'm going to figure out the days on which I might like to have a glass of wine, break up the 100 days into those periods, and exclude the potential wine-drinking days, which means I'm starting over tomorrow. It's not a perfect Whole100, but it will be very, very close.

Meal 3: coffee, vegetable curry (damn that baby corn! :angry: ), almond butter (beginning to become a crutch :unsure: ), unsweetened tea, 2 clementines

Am going to post over on the "Your Post-Whole30 Log" forum from now on.

Archived