chicken bones?

rollo

picked up a whole foods rotisserie chicken.

ate some of it and was about to throw away the bones and thought "wait! i'm supposed to do something with these, aren't i?"

so put 'em in a plastic container.

what am i supposed to do with chicken bones???

thanks!

I take all the bits I don't want to eat and throw them in a pot (crock pot works well) with 2 ribs celery, 2 carrots, 1 onion, 2-4 cloves garlic all roughly chopped or smashed, and a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer on low for about 18-24 hours, adding more water as it evaporates. This will cause the collagen and gelatin in the connective tissues to break down and the calcium, phosphorus, and other essential minerals to leech out of the bones. Strain the broth through a collander lined with cheesecloth, then portion it out and freeze it. Use in recipes, for soups, or drink some heated up when you're feeling a little under the weather as an immune booster.

If you happen to have some fresh thyme, parsley and/or dill, you can throw several sprigs into the pot to simmer with everything else.  It gives the broth a really nice freshness.  Oh, and bay leaves are a classic ingredient in homemade chicken broth.

I made some stock today in the crock pot for the first time today. I roasted a chicken yesterday, so I threw the carcass in with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, whole pepper cloves, parsley, some green onions that were going bad (stock is a great way to use all the bits, ends, skins, and veggies that are on their way to going bad) and covered it with water. It simmered for 24 hours. Once it's cooled some I'll strain it through cheesecloth and put it in mason jars to freeze. I made some soup with some of the stock for dinner tonight and the leftover chicken meat. Diced onion, chopped celery and carrots, sauteed in a little butter, then add stock and diced roasted chicken, lemon juice, fresh dill, and salt and pepper to taste. 

I would tend to save the carcass and bones only if the animal was organic/free range/cage free etc.  I picked up a whole roasting chicken at the farmers market and I have the carcass in the freezer along with some organic cage  free drumstick bones so I can make a stock out of them.  But if the chicken was raised using "normal" methods and with generic feed, I would not bother making a broth out of it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I make chicken broth I always give the bones a whack to crack them but good so I get all the good stuff in them.  I use a cleaver for this.

I also totally agree with not making broth with just any old chicken ;)

" I think bone broth is still beneficial even if made from "conventional" chicken bones. I don't think it's wise to tell others not to bother making it if it's not from organic/pastured chickens. What if they can only afford conventional?"

I agree with Sharon. There is no "grass fed or pastured only" rule. Preferable, yes but not at all required.

I just chuck all the bones and stuff in a pan of water and boil for an hour or so. Strain and refrigerate. I use it in all sorts if recipes in place of water and the fat on the top is great for starting off onions. 

This week's batch is currently being turned into a large pan of curried parsnip and carrot soup. Going to stir in some coconut cream after it's been blitzed and drop in some slices of homemade beef & chilli sausage. 

Archived