Post September 1 2013 Whole30

Marjan

I've had a sketchy time.  I've finished 'reintroing' but it was quite a complex relationship. On the one hand I didn't crave stuff and felt like I was reintroing stuff out of obligation. On the other hand I saw that I was starting to make particular plans to deviate on account of the reintro. It's hard to explain but I would say 'oh well I'm going out for lunch on the day; I'll try reintroing grain'. I don't think it's such a bad thing but it did mean my food choices were probably more heavy on the grain side. Overall though, when I look back on the last two weeks (it's been two weeks!) I've had in total 5 days of bad stuff, and 4 out of those 5 days were 'reintro' days. I don't tend to react particularly badly to most food (the worst seems to be dairy which leaves a mucusy taste and feel in my mouth and rice which makes me feel very full and bloated). It's good in the sense that I feel that I don't have to be paranoid about stuff. It's bad in the sense that I will probably slack off without really thinking about it or being too mindful about it. My goal anyway is to eat paleo most of the time but not beat myself up too much if there is an old meal that has something not allowed on the Whole30. It's weird because on the one hand, throughout the 30 days, I was very careful about making plans on where to eat and what my social plans were. Now I'm off it, I'm less careful, which does mean a slacking off. But then I think one (really nice) meal out is not going to whack my body out too much, if for the rest of the week I'm eating clean. Having said that, one cheese Dorito chip dipped in low quality guacamole at a house party DOES NOT make me feel good (mentally, not physically). But luckily I recognised that and didn't have more than one. In a way I think that's the most positive thing: I'm only willing to eat HIGH QUALITY junk food -- Doritos with a list of ingredients a mile long are a complete turn off. A bowl of olives probably dressed in sunflower oil -- I'm happy with that. 

Alcohol is the hardest thing, in a way. I went out twice over the weekend, each time only having two glasses of wine but I felt like I was cheating! And I did feel in a way that I was compromising my social life by keeping the amount I drank down. Crazy -- on the Whole30 I was more than happy to sit over a glass of soda and lime (although I still felt like I was being as sociable as I am normally). 

The experience with alcohol made me realise that what I have trouble with is knowing when and how often I want to off road. I understand that it's OK, and I'm actually perfectly happy with keeping the food I cook clean. But how often should I allow myself a sociable night with some wine? How often should I swap food when eating out? How much off roading do I allow myself? 

These are the questions occupying me over the past 10 days or so. I take it as a positive sign as it means my relationship with food has changed to the extent that at least I think about these things now!

On a more fun note, I made some butter the other day! NOT because I'm eating butter necessarily but because we had double cream in the fridge (I hasten to add, I didn't have any! I don't know why I feel I have to justify everything to you guys :-P) and I knew my boyfriend wasn't going to eat it all before it went off and I had read how easy it is to make butter so I tried it. It was quite amazing to watch the cream change from its normal white liquid form to a creamy yellow. I will probably melt it down to make clarified butter as we use that a lot for cooking (and since I can't get hold of grassfed ghee easily I've been making my own from Kerrygold butter). If I can find a relatively decent priced grassfed (raw?) cream then I might make clarified butter from that more regularly. (Honestly, where does this end -- when I get my own cow??!)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS, I'm sorry my posts are always really long. I genuinely don't realise how much I'm writing until it's posted and then I'm horrified! I think it's because I don't really have anyone around me to talk to about the Whole30 (I talk some with my boyfriend but he's not fully in with it, although he's been eating what I've been eating when we eat together) so I think I save everything up for the forum. Obviously I don't expect anyone to read it all the way through, it helps me just to get the words out! I have been keeping a food journal but not really keeping it updated with general musings, think I need to feel like there is a potential audience for me to actually get what I want to say out! Anyway, sorry.

PS, I'm sorry my posts are always really long. I genuinely don't realise how much I'm writing until it's posted and then I'm horrified! I think it's because I don't really have anyone around me to talk to about the Whole30 (I talk some with my boyfriend but he's not fully in with it, although he's been eating what I've been eating when we eat together) so I think I save everything up for the forum. Obviously I don't expect anyone to read it all the way through, it helps me just to get the words out! I have been keeping a food journal but not really keeping it updated with general musings, think I need to feel like there is a potential audience for me to actually get what I want to say out! Anyway, sorry.

Nothing wrong with long posts at all. I enjoy reading your long posts. 

I like the long posts too. 

I think the main thing I've gotten out of Whole30 is a kind of mindfulness that I'm trying to bring to other areas of my life. I realize how much I managed my stress with junk food and alcohol, and their absence leaves me with poor stress management skills!

So that's my focus lately, figuring out how to remain present and not numb myself with tv or social media (to replace the food and alcohol, I guess). 

I can totally relate to everyone who is experiencing that disinterest in food...if someone had told me I'd feel even a smidge of that feeling, I'd have laughed. But I sure do. There is a grieving process that has to happen. I'm a foodie, my husband and I even had a restaurant review website, and I love eating! Or, rather, I *loved.* So I feel weirdly sad when I realize that eating restaurant food isn't really special, it won't taste as good as what we've been eating at home, and it will make me feel gross. The only upside is that someone else cooks and serves it; and, to be honest, I get that at home since my husband does nearly all the cooking. 

I miss being excited for food, in some ways. But in other ways, eating to fuel my life feels so very right. 

I appreciate everyone sharing what's going on, so so much! Seeing other people struggle and grow gives me hope. 

'I miss being excited for food, in some ways. But in other ways, eating to fuel my life feels so very right.'

Totally me! I know I've said this already but yes, NOT being excited about food -- very sad! But then it's not just 'eating to fuel my life feels so very right' it's also the disgust I feel at what crap goes into food you eat out, and in fact an excitement about the food I cook and eat at home, and knowing that not many places can come close to that in terms of quality -- simply because I know what I'm putting in there!

My focus now is SLEEP. Having read so much about what not sleeping enough does I'm determined to make this my focus for next month (call it a Whole30 SLEEP month, last month being the NUTRITION month). There are a few things I need to do in preparation (get some black out blinds, wear a sleep mask?). Also I want to begin taking supplements (which I didn't do during the Whole30) to see if that helps too. I don't feel I have chronic sleep issues but every now and then (like today) I feel like I just didn't get enough sleep.

My focus now is SLEEP. Having read so much about what not sleeping enough does I'm determined to make this my focus for next month (call it a Whole30 SLEEP month, last month being the NUTRITION month). There are a few things I need to do in preparation (get some black out blinds, wear a sleep mask?). Also I want to begin taking supplements (which I didn't do during the Whole30) to see if that helps too. I don't feel I have chronic sleep issues but every now and then (like today) I feel like I just didn't get enough sleep.

Me too!  Goal is to be in bed by 10 every night.  Not promising I will sleep but at least in bed.  My attempt to find a good book as somewhat back-fired in that I couldn't put it down last night and was wake until 1130!  Hoping to try again tonight. As Helen says, progress, not perfection :)  BTW, the book is What Alice Forgot - very engrossing.

@marjan~~try not to weigh yourself every week!  I know it is hard but I think it is a LOT more encouraging to weight yourself once a month (if at all~~I'm not there yet).  With that said, I really only lose a good amount on a Whole30 and then I either lose more slowly or maintain. 

I'm so happy for those of you who are doing so well with food choices!  I've been trying to be as compliant as possible but have gone off the rails a bit when I've gone out.  Friday night I did a great 2 hour yoga class, biked with my kids AND did my dance wave (free form 70 minutes of dance).  I was starving by the time we got to the pub/restaurant so had a few beers and some crab and artichoke dip (not too cheesy) with pita bread.  It was good and I felt fine the next day.

The rest of the weekend went well until last night.  At my mother's.  My mother makes me stress eat and I did eat total JUNK (potato chips and a few starburst).   Definitely felt like a 'binge' even though I only ate a solid single serving of the chips and maybe 6 starburst.   I held off eating anything else over there and came home and had broccoli and chicken sausage so there is that to report.

We bought a sauna ($350 off craigslist~~typically run about $600 on craigslist).  It worked!  I was worried that it would be a dud. I think it sold so low because it came from the house of a smoker (we pressure washed it and sunned it for several days plus I put charcoal in it and no smoke smell now!).  I figure if it craps out on us we can buy an electric Finlandia style rocks and convert it for the same price as buying one of the used ones in teh $600-$700 range.  The sauna and the sun lamp (still waiting for it) are my keeping sane ideas for the winter.  It is so gorgeous here finally though that I can't complain.  I close my eyes and it feels like I like in San Diego currently :)  Ahhh, only if it could last.

In other news, finally made GREEN tea Kombucha (always used black in the past).  Um, yea it totally ROCKS.  I am so happy with the results.  So green tea is going to be it for me for now I think.

I plan to do a *real* Whole 30 in January.  Maybe a Whole45.  

Other than that, I'm feeling good.  Most days I eat nutrient dense real foods most of the time.  I've enjoyed the beers but haven't felt compulsive about them.   I have been having some protein powder smoothies (hemp).  I enjoy them and a break from eggs some mornings before yoga.  Not as healthy but not a bad second choice.

Gotta run to ballet for the kids.  Sigh.  I just want to have the day off from mom hood some days!  Well, the day off from running around momhood.  Hanging with the kids always is fun.

I've finally had a moment to read through the posts. When the forum went down, my food choices did as well and I've felt like crap ever since. I've been having a snack after dinner on days where I have a grain and it binge eater in me is awakened. It's a horrible cycle because then I am so tired the next day and between being a mum and working full time I'm tired at the end of my day if I eat poorly and don't feel like taking the time to cook a decent dinner. Horrible spiral it is...

I'm going to start another whole30 or 45 or 60 or however many days I need to take control of my food again. It's very obvious I still have emotional ties to food and I need to figure those out before allowing myself to eat a more relaxed version of whatever style of diet I choose,

Currently dealing with my first ever conjunctivitis infection. Lil and I both have it. It's miserable. I can barely see the screen to type. Have you ever tried putting eye drops in a 10 month olds eyes? Yea....imagine trying to wrestle an alligator....

There simply is just not enough time in the day to do everything. Between work, working out, taking care of Lil, having a moment to breath, cooking, eating, sleeping, socializing.... how are we supposed to do it all?

a couple of you have mentioned the re introduction of alcohol. I've never been a big drinker. I love a great glass of bourdeaux, but I never really have a hankering for it unless we are with friend or at a restaurant. The few times we've been out to eat I've gotten water. Figure I'm all ready doing enough damage without adding poison too.

I'm glad to hear that some of you feel okay with some of the reintroduction foods. Rice seems to be okay for me. I'd love to try beans soon. Grains and dairy are a no-go for me. Haven't figured out if its all grains or just the gluteny ones. I desperately want to feel like I felt a few weeks ago waking with loads of energy. I also want some one to come cook all my food too. Any takers? Free room and board....

@sdoucette I hope you guys feel better soon! I have tried to put eye drops in a baby and it was awful. I feel for you girl! Conjunctivitis sucks. 

I'm doing okay. I'm still in Miami and I've been able to stick to everything properly. This week I'm being trained in medical billing at my Dad's company and we ordered sushi for lunch yesterday. I got a JB roll and California roll, both without rice. I totally forgot a JB roll has cream cheese in it. I ate the first one without thinking and then plucked the CC out of every other one. Was not nearly enough food and a half hour later I had to leave and go to the grocery store. I bought a baby food squeeze of green apple and broccoli puree - which is really good I might add. I also got a Lara bar. I ate two. Dinner was a shepherds pie I'd made with cauli and sweet pot mash and no corn. I ate it for breakfast this mornings as well. I have been sleeping well but I have noticed the tiger's blood is a little waning. I'm hoping this is my body's last attempt to get me to change back to my old eating habits and that once it recognizes I won't be it'll give up. 

Hi all!  Just wanted you to know that I've been reading all of your posts, and I'm really happy about how awesome everyone is doing.  

I'm in Arizona, and I ate some really poisonous food over a 24 hour period (pizza Sat night, Panda Express, cupcakes on Sunday).  It was one of those situations where you go with the flow because it's a special occasion and you don't want to hurt your family's feelings.  I honestly don't often care about that but my mom made this huge effort to have the whole extended Phoenix family over while we were here and my littlest one's birthday party.  I have an adorable little boy with Down syndrome who just turned four.

DH and DD also off-roaded - to the max!  Can you say giant frappuchinos?  Uck.  I'll stick with my black Americanos - I think you're right, whoever posted earlier that the black coffee is probably a preference that will stick!

So anyway the chow mein noodles were the devil.  Of all the things I ate, those were what I couldn't get enough of. 

By the end of the day, I felt like I was going to give birth to an alien.  Tiger blood-gone.  Face-puffy.  Poo. 

DH and DD each separately came to me and said how icky they felt.  DD (miracle of miracles!) told me that she couldn't wait to get home and eat super clean for two weeks.  I asked if she was sold on this nutrition regimen, and she said she was definitely a believer in whole food.  (She gave me a LOT of crap about grain and dairy in the beginning of all this.)  She realized that not only had she lost weight, but her skin had cleared up, and she felt generally better.  After Sunday, she broke out on her face and felt puffy and bloated.

DH told me something similar.  He described it as not feeling "empty" while guesturing to his belly.  I think he meant he felt bloated, too.  He's not super in touch with his body, either is my daughter for that matter, but he said he felt generally not right and couldn't wait to go home and eat clean.

They both went home early yesterday morning.  I'm here for the rest of the week.  I had gotten some groceries on Saturday, and yesterday was a clean day.  I see no compelling reason to off-road any more while I am here except that the sugar-dragon has awakened and it's back to a day - a meal - at a time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++On another note,

I've started taking vitamin D, omega 3, and intestinal flora supplements.  I think my mood is generally better with vitamin D, and I'm not so sensitive to sensory intrusions like a loud tv.

As to sleep hygiene, I'm fortunate in that it was already in place when I started the Whole 30.  I guard my sleep time.  But the 30 has definitely improved the quality of my sleep experience!  I have started going to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier.  So instead of sleeping from 10 or 11 to 7, I sleep 9 to 5 or 6.  I love waking up early without an alarm.  I love going to bed at night and falling asleep quickly, and I love waking up in the morning refreshed and energized.  Call me simple, but bedtime and waking up are my two favorite times of day!

++++ back to food, all of you who don't notice any adverse effects of off-road food are lucky!

And I, also, have developed a prefence for cooking my own food over eating out.

I already have my date set for my next W30: 10/24. That will put my day 30 on 11/22, which is the friday before my mom's birthday, which is the weekend before Thanksgiving. 

During this one I want to focus on quantity...I'm not a calorie counter or a food measurer, but I want to dial in my diet so I'm eating enough to sustain myself and all my activities, and no more. So, I guess I just need to pay more attention to the template, which I haven't done as much because I don't want to be hungry and I don't want to sabotage myself by restricting. During my first one I allowed myself to really eat as much as I wanted, as long as it was compliant and during a set meal-time. I think doing that helped me enormously -- it was very liberating. 

But now that I'm getting more of the concept of "food as fuel," I don't want to overfill. 

Anyone who thinks they'll be ready around that time is welcome to join!!

@sdoucette: I'll come and cook for you! Hah, just kidding, but if I could I would! I like cooking loads a lot and since the whole30 the food I cook has completely changed, for the better! I get anxious if I don't have green leaves in every meal (including breakfast) and I love starting the week with a whole load of fresh vegetables and lovely meat, just waiting to be turned into delicious yummyness. I experiment a lot so we rarely eat the same thing twice. Buying a slow cooker helped a lot as I usually try and have one slow cooker meal cooked for the weekend. My main problem is getting the quantity right -- I don't always cook enough to have leftovers for breakfast and lunch which is annoying since I have to make them both myself everyday to take to work.

@Angela Poliquin: I don't feel lucky not having adverse effects; in fact I'd rather know that my body rejects stuff as it would make it so much easier to know whether something is worth it or not! The principles in ISWF is see how the food reacts in your clean body and then make informed decisions. Well I don't react to the foods, yet I don't want to reintroduce them as the information in ISWF has put me off having them too much. But since I can have them occasionally, how do I decide when?!

Sleep has eluded me the last two nights. I mean I've been sleeping (taking ages to get to sleep and waking up once or twice in the night) but I do not feel rested one bit. All day yesterday and today I've been so unbelieveably tired, not able to focus on work, procrastinating, etc. etc. I don't know whether it's because (a) My boyfriend is away so I've been alone at home -- maybe I don't like sleeping on my own (urghh what a horrible thought!) or (B) Is it because I off-roaded over the weekend with dosa (lentil + rice)? I've become quite paranoid with food, assuming that every tiny thing that goes wrong is because I've eaten something wrong. It's ironic because it's come at a time when we both decided to go to bed much earlier and get a decent night sleep. So much for that! Anyway, we'll see how I go tonight. I'm so sleepy I can't not go to sleep straight away right?

I'm planning to take some supplements soon to see if that will help with energy and sleeplessness. And I think we're going to get one of those light alarm clocks that wake you up with a simulated sunrise. Winter is so depressing.

Hey team)

I too was locked out and happy to be back.  This past weekend was a trip to nutritional hedonism for me.  It was our Canadian Thanksgiving and I was away at my Sister-in-laws for the weekend.  I decided on Thursday last week that I was going to just enjoy the family time and eat what was provided.  For me, this means no alcohol but I did have potato, turkey, bread, some pasta, pie and real whip cream.

Also, we brought a large plate of squares (all non-compliant) from Costco.

I had a good time but the stomach aches, indigestion and general "gut rot" hardly makes it worth it.  Happy to be back at work and doing my normal (W30 compliant) routine again. 

Just finishing off my lunch and getting back to work.

Cheers

DJ

I pulled my first batch of Kombucha out. Used a Ph dipstick and was ok. The scoby had grown a LOT. I took the scoby out put it in some water and bottled my Kombucha. I should have tried it first...it was still sweet....should have left it a few more days.

My instructions say that it could ferment a bit more in the bottle if I leave them sitting out. Will do that.

It is tasty enough though  :o

Hey team)

I too was locked out and happy to be back.  This past weekend was a trip to nutritional hedonism for me.  It was our Canadian Thanksgiving and I was away at my Sister-in-laws for the weekend.  I decided on Thursday last week that I was going to just enjoy the family time and eat what was provided.  For me, this means no alcohol but I did have potato, turkey, bread, some pasta, pie and real whip cream.

Also, we brought a large plate of squares (all non-compliant) from Costco.

I had a good time but the stomach aches, indigestion and general "gut rot" hardly makes it worth it.  Happy to be back at work and doing my normal (W30 compliant) routine again. 

Just finishing off my lunch and getting back to work.

Cheers

DJ

OMG gut rot....you have a way of describing things  :P

I pulled my first batch of Kombucha out. Used a Ph dipstick and was ok. The scoby had grown a LOT. I took the scoby out put it in some water and bottled my Kombucha. I should have tried it first...it was still sweet....should have left it a few more days.

My instructions say that it could ferment a bit more in the bottle if I leave them sitting out. Will do that.

It is tasty enough though  :o

Yes just leave them sitting out if they are too sweet.  What pH do they recommend?  I've never tested mine.  One thing, is I've left mine with the scoby (mine is huge and practicaly doubles each week) a few more days when I thought it was too sweet and it went to vinegar in that time so better to pull a little early than a little late. :)

Yes just leave them sitting out if they are too sweet.  What pH do they recommend?  I've never tested mine.  One thing, is I've left mine with the scoby (mine is huge and practicaly doubles each week) a few more days when I thought it was too sweet and it went to vinegar in that time so better to pull a little early than a little late. :)

PH below 3.5

Now the one I put in is the mother, right, so right on top is the daughter?

From what I gather you can only use the mother for so long, but what if I swap it out for the daughter every time, would that work?

Ugh today was the worst. Since I've been home I've been eating out a lot. I'm still being compliant but my body doesn't seem to like the excessive use of vegetable oils. I'm training and every day we go out to lunch. Yesterday the girl training me and I went to Carabbas. She had salad with tons of parmesan, pasta with parm, and bread. I didn't want it but watching her made me think I might be missing something. The food we eat out is not substantial enough. My father's new thing is telling me I could eat less than I eat now (he thinks 1000cal is enough) so I can lose more weight. And they keep asking me when I'm going to exercise. These parents are never happy. They tell me the food I eat is high in cholesterol and then they proceed to eat Jello and whip cream and oreos. Last night I went to my favorite frozen yogurt place with a friend and watched her eat. I only wanted the yogurt because they had pumpkin pie but then I realized I could make something as good myself. I only want a pumpkin spice latte for the pumpkin but I can make a compliant one myself. I'm realizing that everything (that's worth the fuss) can be made paleo or whole 30 compliant but that not all things need to be to make me happy. I don't NEED certain foods. I need to cook more this week while I'm home but I don't have a car and am at everyone else's mercy. I ate breakfast at 8 and then at 130 texted my dad that I needed to get lunch. Everyone in the office started hollering that I should have said something. He took me to get lunch at 2 and I had the best burger ever. I mean, ever. It was a blend of pork, beef, lamb. It's called the Prohibition burger. It comes with sauce and all this stuff but I got it bunless, sauceless, mustard less. And awesome SP fries. Yummy awesome lunch but I've had some version of that a few times this week.

Eeek rant over...I guess. 

@alexasaurusex I know how you feel I have family that tells me that I should do a diet that is intended for losing weight and that I need to eat more carbohydrates,

I suppose it is good that you realise that you could make it yourself and then even better. 

I made pumpkin spiced cookies filled with apple butter for my children. It had a bit of honey in it, so they are Paleo. I tried a little bit, they are awesome and the kids love them.

@alexasaurusrex: That's miserable, especially the bit about being stuck in the office and at everyone's mercy. Is there really nowhere you can go for a walk to get food? It seems crazy that you have to drive everywhere! I don't have a car; in fact I don't have a British driving licence (I do have a Malaysian one though but it's not transferable) but the truth is you just don't need a car in London. None of my friends have a car here in London. It's too expensive and public transport is great (although obviously we complain about it all the time, being British). 

@Marjan: those cookies sound great....recipe please :-) I have actually never really had anything with 'pumpkin spice' -- it's quite an American thing I think. I walked past a Starbucks with my boyfriend the other day and I said I bet that pumpkin spiced latte thing they're advertising is really really bad for you. He said 'urghh that sounds horrible'. Anyway those cookies sound like something I should make to take for the Hallowe'en party I'm going to in a few weeks time...

I finally had a good night sleep and woke up feeling a bit like Tigger, bouncy and excitable. Yay!

The recipe for the pumpkin cookies: http://paleoparents.com/featured/pumpkin-delights-cookies/

I did not use Pumpkin spice, you cannot buy it here. I used 'Speculaas' spice. These are cookies you can get here in the Netherlands.

I thinkt the ingredients are very similar to pumpkin spice. If all else fails you can make  it yourself.

Apple butter is awesome too, I made it myself too.

Hey all... "Gut rot" is over and back on plan.  I put on 5 lbs over the super long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) between Thusday (started early) and Monday.  I have already lost the weight gained this weekend (feels good) and I am almost appreciating the low grade headache today (and last night) because I know this means I am back on the path of good food.

Cheers

DJ

Archived