Post September 1 2013 Whole30

Marjan

@TDC when I visited London last summer I walked everywhere (on a fractured foot too) and it was awesome. Here there is no where to walk, especially since where we are is pretty industrial, and its so hot even though it's October. The office is freezing though. Oy.

@DJoyce good job!

@marjan those look awesome. I want to make some paleo cookies this weekend with my mom. 

What I did notice is that even though everyone is being annoying with their comments, I am able to ignore them much easier than I was on other diets. I know what makes me feel good, what I have to do, and I don't think about it. Last night I got mad because there was no food so I went to the grocery store and cooked up some chicken thighs. I bought mashed potatoes for my sister's bf (who lives with my parents and works for my father) and my dad. I had a huge thing of spinach and lime and olive oil and the chicken. My dad didn't even come to the table. He was super busy and wouldn't eat dinner. So at 11 at night when we're all going off to sleep he's in the kitchen eating whip cream from a spray can. I made a comment like daddy if you did Whole 30 you'd feel so much better and be really healthy and he goes yeah yeah whatever, eats more whip cream. So I said you know that's not real food and he turns around and goes you haven't made the best food decisions so don't talk. And that comment hurt. I know I have food issues but right now I'm not having those issues and I know that it's a life long struggle but to say that to me was like punching me in the stomach. Your my dad and you shouldn't be getting mad at me about things you're eating. That comment to me screamed guilt. Eeek I didn't mean to rant again! Sorry. 

I also have had 85% cacoa chocolate in the last week and don't find myself thinking about it and craving it. Such a change!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@alexasaurusrex: Yay! London is awesome! Anyway who comes to London anytime soon has to look me up :-) Sad times about your dad, it's really hard to talk to people about this, I find I get confused easily and end up not really offering a good argument for stuff! I don't really talk about it much although people know I'm doing 'this weird diet thing' (even though I insist it's a lifestyle change!). However, someone I know posted this article on Facebook: http://www.businessinsider.com/13-nutrition-lies-that-made-the-world-sick-and-fat-2013-10?op=1 so I reposted it, with a link to the Whole30 and the responses I got from people in Malaysia (not in the UK) were really positive. I think people are more open minded over there compared to here. But Melissa and Dallas's mantra of 'Wait till people come to you' is what reminds me to not become preachy about it. It hurts me too to see people chowing down on food I know is bad. But it's like quitting smoking (that's what I'm battling with my father!), you can't force people to stop until they are ready to do it for themselves. I think all of us did the Whole30 because our HEALTH/WEIGHT LOSS/SLEEP DEPRIVATION/DISEASES were at the forefront of our minds and we decided it was TIME to take control. But it is sad to think it might never happen for our nearest and dearest. Having said that, I can see changes in attitude to food in London ever since I started going Paleo, and I do believe that within our lifetime, conventional wisdom will change. Heck I have to believe it, otherwise thinking about doing this long term is just so...tiring!

On another note, The Crossfit Games was featured in the free Thursday magazine today: http://www.sport-magazine.co.uk/features/crossfit-its-addictive-bit-tattoos-5084

@TDC when I visited London last summer I walked everywhere (on a fractured foot too) and it was awesome. Here there is no where to walk, especially since where we are is pretty industrial, and its so hot even though it's October. The office is freezing though. Oy.

@DJoyce good job!

@marjan those look awesome. I want to make some paleo cookies this weekend with my mom.

What I did notice is that even though everyone is being annoying with their comments, I am able to ignore them much easier than I was on other diets. I know what makes me feel good, what I have to do, and I don't think about it. Last night I got mad because there was no food so I went to the grocery store and cooked up some chicken thighs. I bought mashed potatoes for my sister's bf (who lives with my parents and works for my father) and my dad. I had a huge thing of spinach and lime and olive oil and the chicken. My dad didn't even come to the table. He was super busy and wouldn't eat dinner. So at 11 at night when we're all going off to sleep he's in the kitchen eating whip cream from a spray can. I made a comment like daddy if you did Whole 30 you'd feel so much better and be really healthy and he goes yeah yeah whatever, eats more whip cream. So I said you know that's not real food and he turns around and goes you haven't made the best food decisions so don't talk. And that comment hurt. I know I have food issues but right now I'm not having those issues and I know that it's a life long struggle but to say that to me was like punching me in the stomach. Your my dad and you shouldn't be getting mad at me about things you're eating. That comment to me screamed guilt. Eeek I didn't mean to rant again! Sorry.

I also have had 85% cacoa chocolate in the last week and don't find myself thinking about it and craving it. Such a change!

I feel your pain in regards to your dad. If it's anything like mine, he's probably reflecting on his own issues rather than your current success. My dad is a big man, and his weight has yoyoed for years on various diets. After I lost 25kgs through a lifestyle change, I went through my wardrobe and threw out a whole pile of stuff that swam on me. I didn't get any praise from my for what id done, just "why are you throwing those out, you'll probably need them again". It hurt!! I did manage to brush it off though and realise I just had to be happy with myself. After 2 years I've still not put the weight back on!

@alexasaurusrex: mmmm 85% chocolate. Before the Whole30 I had a bar of Lindt 85% in my desk drawer and it lasted me ages as I would have a square in the afternoons when I was feeling a little bit sad for myself/tired. I haven't had chocolate since...well I don't actually know but certainly since I started the Whole30 and probably longer as I don't think I had any just before that either. (I'm not counting the pear and choc pud -- it's a pudding that I would only eat at the end of a meal lovingly handmade by my grandma, not an easy-access/I'm stressed/tired/need a perk up bar of chocolate. Also I've had cocoa nibs in the form of a drink or in Mel's chocolate chilli but they don't count since they're not really like chocolate and it's compliant anyway.) It's not really a 'I won't eat chocolate because of waking the sugar dragon' but more I just haven't really fancied it. I brought a bag of m&ms to the office today to celebrate being here for 3 years and keep smelling the chocolate which smells nice, but I don't really mind. Got my macadamia nuts to snack on anyway! Having said that, mmmm 85% chocolate....

@amberino he does seem to be proud of me for losing weight and I know he's super stressed with work so that has to be where all the issues are coming from. That's not cool of your dad. I would cry. A lot. 

@TDC that's the same bar I've been noshing away on!

My mom is a lot better about listening to the diet. And I'm sort of preachy. They do ask me first and then I tell them, but I find that sometimes I try to justify why I'm eating something before they even ask. Last night my mother started saying she couldn't eat this way cause it makes her gain weight. Because she's still doing dairy. She's still eating a little too off plan. And she ate plantains a few days in a row. This thing only works if you stick with the guidelines. If you want to eat plantains eat on plan and you can have them, but don't expect to eat plantains and potatoes and it to still work. You're still eating things with inflammation. And she is a doctor and knows all this and that's what's annoying. She did say though that a few of her obese patients have come in and were talking about how they were doing a Whole 30 so that was pretty cool. This morning I made an apple chicken sausage in coconut oil. She was grossed out I was frying it up and I was like "do you think I lost weight?" she nodded and said a lot. "then it obviously works so please stop with the side comments. if you want to do this, do it, but stop questioning every step I take because it works and its simple." and she looked up from doing her makeup and said okay, but with this face of respect. And then she stood up for me when my dad asked why I was eating an almond butter packet (he ate all my avocados and we ran out of almond butter the other day - except this packet). 

I had a rare experience yesterday after lunch. My dad's office manager/the woman training me is tiny but she eats a ton of carbs and micromanages everything. She takes me out to lunch every day and I have to work around the menu to eat where she wants to. It got a bit annoying yesterday when we went to Red Lobster and I got a "salad" aka a bowl of iceberg lettuce because apparently they don't carry romaine. Annoyed to say the least. I did have a big piece of salmon on it but an hour later I was so tired and so sluggish and felt disgusting. I knew it was because the six pecans I had didn't have enough fat. So I poured a half a can of coconut milk into a small amount of black coffee. Once I'd finished it I felt so much better! My fat count has been off all week here. For dinner I had curry and was charged - but not too charged because I haven't gotten the nine hours of sleep a night I got used to. Last night I did and feel so much better then I have since I got here. 

Good morning,  It's good to read all your posts, though i'm sorry to hear about your family's resistance or ignorance or whatever it is, @Alexasaurus.  It sounds like you just want them to trust and respect you for making healthy decisions, which you are.   And you're reaping the rewards in all kinds of ways.

I've been all over the place and really struggling, but finally enlisted my husband for support yesterday.  His way of avoiding dealing with his own food/weight issues was to playfully make a bit of fun of me and not take my lifestyle change seriously.  Although I completely own my own struggle as just that, my own--it does wear on me that I didn't have his support.  It helps that I do now.  I'm not doing a W30 right now, but I am eating according to the guidelines and for a little while, I'm not drinking.  I am trying to get in the mindset of this is how I eat because it makes me feel my best.  I HAVE to get out of the dieting mentality.  I thought I was free from it but I SO wasn't.  It's been an interesting ride to say the least. 

@raptah~totally relate.  Yesterday I'm trying to think if I ate anything compliant at all.  I feel like my days tend to be healthy days (i.e. compliant) or total washouts (totally not compliant).  I also feel much, much better eating paleo/whole 30 style.  I feel like when I am offroading it is like I am just eating and eating to satisfy something that will never be satisfied if that makes sense.  On the other hand, I enjoy the social nature of food/dining and so how to make better choices for myself in these situations.  But I do think this kind of 'on' or 'off' mentality is the dieting mentality that you are describing.  The FB group of 4 women that I did the Sept Whole30 with is doing one in November.  I am going to DC for a yoga workshop (Baron Baptiste~~this was my birthday present and I am beyond thrilled) mid-Nov.  I am thinking of doing a Whole14 with them to prepare for the workshop.  That is all I can commit to for now.  I do have plans for a Jan Whole30 and plan to find some people here to do it with hopefully.

On other Whole9 fronts:  The sun lamp and sauna are both becomeing daily rituals.  Maybe the sun lamp is psychosomatic but it seems to be working for me.  I typically sit in front of a computer anyway for the first 30-60 minutes every morning (social media, answering work emails, etc) so now I am doing it with the sun lamp!  It is like being enveloped in sunshine (takes a few minutes to get used to!) now maybe I'll get a space heater so I can pretend I'm on the beach in Mexico this winter (pina colada candle?).  The last 3 nights I have done a sauna and it is SO wonderful before bed.  If we keep it up all winter we plan to buy a traditional sauna heater (with the rocks to produce steam for next year) but the infrared is good too.  I do a 30-45 minute sauna and read magazines and relax and then drink my Natural Calm magnesium drink and go to bed.  No computer once I hit the sauna.  Again, might be psychosomatic but I am sleeping better now.

So the challenge for me rignt now is how to manage offroading in a healthier manner?  The rest of you are doing so well I am kind of embarrassed to talk about my non-compliant days.  Yesterday I went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch with a close friend (my girls are off for Fall break and it was there choice).  I had:  a margarita, the insides of a grand slam chicken burrito (chicken, tomatoes, onions and melted Mexican cheese but the cheese is pretty light), guacomole, salsa and some tortilla chips.  So, yes, I majorly offroaded BUT I see a few good things here.  I didn't eat the rice and beans.  I limited the tortilla chips (and did not eat the tortilla).  Could be better but also an improvement from a year ago.  Then last night we went to a movie (Smurfs 2, lol) and I had popcorn BUT no candy or diet coke.  Also better. 

For me, this journey really is going to be one day at a time.   Let's hope today is a good one :)

@Helen. I'm glad you still tell us what you've eaten even though it's non compliant. For one you're not alone!and for another I think of this forum as an important check point for food. yes admitting you're not doing too well is embarrassing but admitting to it,not to us but to yourself is harder. And your comments lik 'but it's still an iimprovement shows one very important thing:you're not eating mindlessly!! I don't see this as trying to justify your eating but see it as your thought process. You're right it has changed. .. But it needs refining,like all of us. From my understanding the whole30 is not a cure-all but a lifelong journey of learning and discovering. It's your body! Also I understand it gets easier the more wwhole3s you do and of course There's no limit to how many whole30s you do. And don't forget you can do a whole7, whole14,wholeweekend... whatever. I'm overindulging today but from tomorrow I m doing a whole7 just to get back on track. Also I'm definitely doing a Jan whole30 too so I'll be tthere with you!!

Hey all

I am doing well again.  Lots of junk in my house this weekend but using the rules as a crutch to keep me on course.  Lots of apples these days and I have to say that honeycrisp apples are simply the best.  Had some really good lamb sausage today (made at my local pasture fed butcher shop).  The family and me too are fighting a bit of a cold but getting through it.

I bought a new at home workout (Focus T25 from BeachBody) this week and I start it on Monday.  It will be good (in a butt kicking kind of way).  10 weeks of the T25 program will take me to New Years.  Keep going strong everyone and continued great health!

Cheers

DJ

@helen do not beat yourself up over your 'major offroading' . It the food itself does not make you feel crap I would not worry so much about it. Have you figured out if beans and rice actually make you feel worse?

I went to a party yesterday, I did prepare my lunch but did not expect to be home after dinner.

So dinner was a bit odd, I stayed away from bread, dips, cake. chips.

I just drank water and when stuff came off the bbq, I had some chicken satay (no sauce just marinated), hamburgers and a small handful of fries.

That was the best I could do.

Driving home I had this weird feeling in my mouth,do not know whether it is msg or anything else.

During the night I was quite mucussy, might be  cold coming on (which is going around) or it might be a result of the food,

Dont know, do not care so much, will go back on track today so no worries :-)

@marjan~~I feel better when I eat whole30/paleo style but I don't seem to have any real issues with any foods except that they cause cravings for more sugar and cause me to eat mindlessly/not feel satisfied thus gain weight.  I limited the carbs/starch at lunch as best as I could (only having a small serving of tortilla chips).  From reading around on 'Mark's Daily Apple' I want to even if I am offroading be aware of the amount of carbs I am eating (he has diagrams about this) so if I have a meal like at the Mexican restaurant I still want to choose the best I can and not carb overload.  

@raptah~~Yay for Kombucha!  I need to brew today that reminds me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz2iGShngPp

So it finally happened. I was supposed to fly out yesterday back to Boston from Miami but my aunts asked me to stay for an extra day. I did and this afternoon my great grandmother passed away. I got to her ICU room just as she took her last breath. I'm supposed to be writing something for either myself or my father to read tomorrow. It's kind of ironic but I am a writer and this should be easy, but I'm having a hard time getting anything coherent down. It's starting to look like the Odyssey over here. 

Today was the first day in 50 days I ate out of sorts. I had a small breakfast. Maybe have an apple sausage and a packet of carrots. Coconut milk in my coffee. We went to get our nails done for my little cousins party this afternoon and I needed to get my face waxed. I have hirsutism from PCOS and it grows like a beard. I go through cycles of wax, bleach, tweeze and that seems to be how it'll be for a while. My mom had me get it done at the nail place because she gets her's done there. It was a new girl or a girl she hadn't used. I laid down hoping this whole process would go fast. Forty minutes later I ran out crying. It started when she asked me if I needed full face and I said yes, so she waxed my FOREHEAD! Then she ripped skin off under my eyebrows and above my lip. She started to do pieces of my neck in these huge portions. She kept ripping and ripping and going "Oh wow you have lots of hair...lots like a man" over and over and over. Then she called someone else in to help her and they are both standing over me tweezing and saying it again and again. And I lost it. I have hypersensitivity. Diagnosed at 5. I feel EVERYTHING. You brush a hand over my skin and I feel each arm hair move. I feel my eyelashes move. I had to go to therapy to gain tools to learn how to focus things out. Now it only happens once in a while when I'm not keeping control. To go into a salon with a disease that already upsets me and am embarrassed about and to have two women who don't grow facial hair stand over me and repeat something like that over and over again after tearing my skin and alerting every nerve in my face that I was in pain was more than I could take. I started crying and trying to say no more I'll do it myself, but I couldn't choke it out. I lost it. My mom came in because she heard us and the owner of the salon is going oh they're laughing but my mom said no my child is sobbing. She came in and I'm trying to play it off as a low sugar scare just to get me out of there. I felt like I was seven again and the thread on my sock was suffocating me (we used to fight about my socks until we learned to turn then inside out). I got in the car and fell apart and she was still trying to figure out what was wrong and when I told her she got pissed and almost turned around to yell at them but I made her keep going. 

Anyways, that was a vent huh? My point was I ate a little breakfast and then ate at my aunt's after the death of my Baba and it was basically guacamole and steak, a few veggies, and four pieces of dark chocolate that probably had more sugar than it should have. But I was surprised at how apathetic I was about the food. I could have not ate. I only ate because my stomach kept kneading. It was awful. 

Oh, Alex - I'm so sorry to read about your great grandmother :( I am sure whatever you say will be from the heart and exceptionally meaningful. It must mean a lot that you got to be with her on her last days, and that you can be with your family.

Your waxing experience also sounds terrible - I hope you can destress from that at some stage.

That's terrible story, Alex!  And so sorry for the loss of your Baba.  Wonderful you got to see her one last time. 

I read that when we grieve we undergo measurable physiological changes to our immune system and the first things to go are our sleep and nutrition so be the alexasaurus you are and take care of your body.

Alex, I am so sorry to her about your Baba. This seems to be weekend of loss. I hope the words come to you. My mind is mush after losing someone. Jarbled. Makes no sense. Greater things must have been at work to keep you there one more day,

Your waxing story is horrific. I am not hyper-sensitive but I do have dark hair growth in places most women don't (upper lip, around the areolas, stomach). I've been really embarrassed about it my whole life and it is another reason why I want to eat this way. I'm curious if things will finally balance out. I used chemicals on my lip, tweeze my chest and just let my stomach hair go because there is too much to keep on top of it. I've wanted to get a wax done, but I'm terrified that I'll have an experience similar to the one you had. I wouldn't be able to deal with the insensitivity of other people. As a massage therapist I have all kinds of different bodies on my table and I accept each person for who they are. But that is who I am, and I feel the majority of people out there are not as welcoming and understanding.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

My weekend. I decided to do a Whole7 this week. Then my husbands father took his life on Friday evening. So we've been dealing with that. Hard to make planning and prepping food a priority when you are trying to be a supportive wife and dealing with the emotional turmoil that we are in. Really messy family dynamics. Just a horrible situation all around. Desperately wishing it was the middle of September again when I had a good handle of food and life and everything.

This sucks.

Many hugs alex and sdoucette.  Take care of yourselves.  I have been so down emotionally at times that it really is hard for me to hear when someone can't keep going.  You always just wish you could have been able to get through to them that there would be another good day if they just hang on.  

Thanks you guys! @sdoucette, I'm so sorry for your loss. My cousin took his own life a few years ago and it's a real heartache to lose someone to their own choice. I hope you're doing okay!

Monday we went to the funeral and I was able to finish writing a, eulogy for lack of a better word, and my dad was supposed to read it. He started crying and I lost it so his little sister read it. And it felt good to get that all out there. From there we went to the cemetery and that was just as awful. By the time we got to Shiva at my aunt's house it was 5pm and I hadn't eaten since 8am. I had tuna, egg salad, nova, and some tomatoes and dark chocolate. The only thing wrong with the salads was the soybean oil in the mayo. I almost ate bread but decided I really didn't want it. I may still battle the sugar dragon from time to time but it seems I win every time and have kicked my carb addiction. Hopefully for good. Yesterday I stayed home from working at my dad's office and my sister and I watched TV and talked about our grandma. We were sent on Shiva errands for our aunt's and had to visit a bakery to pick up six platters of kosher cookies. They smelled heavenly but I wasn't interested. I did have a good lunch and breakfast for the first time in a few days and dinner was at Shiva and they had so many inflammatory foods. Garbanzo beans, coleslaw, falafel, pita, etc. But I found lamb shwarma and picked beets and pink cabbage and Israeli salad. I laughed at my dad and went "This is how you make paleo a lifestyle is when you can really do it wherever you are." And then I said "Soy una cavewoman" and the housekeeper cracked up. I did eat a lot of dark chocolate yesterday. They had an edible arrangement with pineapple covered in dark chocolate. I didn't eat as much as I could have before or feel out of control, but I had enough self awareness to know that the sugar dragon was rearing and I stopped eating it and didn't feel like I had to cling to it. That felt like a triumph. 

The waxing story was horrible. I'm still traumatized, but luckily most places are not like that. I go to European Wax Center generally, in both Miami and Boston, and they are a lot kinder and gentler about the entire situation. And their wax is much softer and not damaging like the Asian ladies'. My face has broken out so bad. My mother keeps calling it a faliculitis. I have skin missing from under my eyebrows and above my life. Every day is a makeup day now. I feel like I'm spackling my face. No words can describe how much I want to kill that woman. 

I seemed to recall that some time ago somebody posted something about ketchup. Is there a recipe available somewhere?

yesterday I had lunch out. The place was crappy and did not have any compliant choices.

So I chose pork satay with fries. So there would have been soy in the sauce and of course peanuts. Feeling no worse off today but am not making it a habit to stray like that.

Urgghhh I've had the WORST week. Or so I thought until I read about your grandma, @alexasaurusrex, and your father in law, @sdoucette. I'm so sorry to hear about both. Death is such a sad thing.

I'm so impressed that you've both managed to stay together eating wise, and even continue to post on here! I'd be a wreck. Which is why the confession that is to come is particularly embarrassing. I was ill on Monday and Tuesday. Don't know what happened...woke up with a stomach bug on Monday and felt so rough all day; didn't go in to work. Unfortunately I hadn't been very prepared on Sunday (that'll teach me!) so there wasn't much prepared food in the house. I wasn't hungry anyway but it probably would have been a good idea to get something down me! For dinner we had oxtail soup which I had fortunately made in the slowcooker overnight on Sunday. It made me feel a bit better but it was the only food I had all day. I was desperately trying to stay compliant because I'd made a promise to myself to do a Whole7 after my Saturday supperclub debacle. Anyway, I felt a little better when I woke up on Tuesday and had a little more oxtail soup and went to work. But I had a really bad taste in my mouth which was making me feel sick again so I caved in and had some chewing gum, hoping it would make me feel better. I had to leave work around 10.30am as I was feeling so rough again. I went to bed when I got home and then got up to do some work. Around 2 o'clock I realised that I wasn't helping myself by basically starving myself for the sake of staying compliant (surely that's the opposite of staying compliant?!) so I made rice porridge (sick person's food in Malaysia). Which INSTANTLY made me feel better. I was glad I did it because although not compliant (rice, peanuts, soya sauce), it really did work as it's easy to eat, easy to digest, and it's home comfort food. By the time dinner came around I was feeling almost normal again and we enjoyed nomnompaleo's 'Damn Fine Chicken' with chard. The next day (Wednesday) I decided to continue going easy on myself, Whole30-wise, and finished up the rice porridge for breakfast. Had no problems again at work. (Baked sweet potato with pulled pork, feta and slaw for lunch.) BUT in the evening, my boyfriend came home and said 'What shall we have for dinner?' I'd already had a little something by then -- leftover chicken wings (although it wasn't really enough but I was feeling too lazy to go and cook anything for myself) so he said 'I'll just get a Dominos'. (Which is unusual for him since I did the Whole30, he's been fairly compliant...guess he was feeling lazy too!) Anyway that did it for me, I really wanted some Dominos. So we reasoned it out and decided to get one to share. Before it even arrived I was regretting the decision. I wasn't hungry anymore, and just didn't fancy it. Opened up the pizza box and said 'Oh it's so overwhelming'. Not just the quantity but the look of it...it wasn't appetising! I ate a few slices but my heart wasn't in it. We left a few slices of pizza (whereas previously we would have eaten the whole one between us). And good god my stomach was not happy for the rest of the evening, overnight and this morning. I had a really bad night sleep after eating it, and felt so uncomfortable.

Well, as I said, I'm embarrassed to admit it, there was no good reason for getting the damn pizza. BUT one good thing came out of it: I DO NOT want to eat Dominos again! Which is a good thing. Before I started the Whole30 we used to get Dominos relatively regularly (maybe two or three times a month). But we both felt so bad afterwards that I think the thought just won't really cross our minds again. 

I also learnt that I do need to be careful about making sure there's at least some stock in the freezer to make soup (to be fair, there usually is, but last weekend was particularly busy). And also that sometimes the Whole30 isn't the full answer -- if rice porridge is the worst thing I eat when I'm sick then I'll take it.

What would everyone else have when sick?

Archived