My Reintro experience

tiffanyrfox

Day 31

So while yesterday was technically my Day 30, I did begin my reintro yesterday afternoon at a baby shower I helped put together. I had a glass of white wine, some GF soy-free corn-free chocolate mousse, and spinach dip with cheese in it.

This morning the dairy reintro continues, with greek yogurt for breakfast. Going to lunch with my family for my dad's birthday, so am likely to have something with dairy then as well, then back to whole 30 eating until Wednesday.

To complicate things, my kitchen is entirely unusable for the next 10 days or so, so preparing food has become a challenge. I think it's going to be a lot of boring salads and the like, which will make the reintro process more difficult, unfortunately. 

Just curious, why are you doing dairy more than one day? Is it because you had wine yesterday?

The reintro schedule in ISWF calls for reintro each item one at a time, for 1 day at all 3 meals, then going back to 100% whole30 compliance for 2 days, then reintroducing the next item, and so on.

It was basically one day, just instead of starting in the morning and ending in the evening, it started in the afternoon Sat and ended at lunch Sunday. Just because of the fact that celebrations were scheduled for those times. 

The dairy has increased my mucous, which isn't anything new, but is distinctly noticeable even after just a few instances. Since I have bad hay fever this time of year (and had noticed it wasn't too bad so far), I think eliminating it mostly, if not entirely, until the ragweed quits blooming will be a good step for future seasons/years.

At lunch yesterday I had shepherds pie, which was on the gluten-free menu. It did have a little parmesan cheese on top, but otherwise seemed to be compliant. About an hour after I left the restaurant, though, I got bad cramps and gas. I called back, and it turns out they use cornstarch to thicken the gravy, which isn't listed on the menu. Given that none of the other meals had caused this reaction, I'm certain it was the corn and not the dairy. I'm going to reintro non-gluten grains on Wednesday, but will leave corn out of it at this point. I'll do gluten Saturday, then try corn next week, before legumes only because it's so much harder to avoid and I want to be sure I understand how it's affecting me. Legumes I can pretty much take or leave. I eat beans maybe once a week, and don't have peanuts or peanut butter often, so reintro'ing that category is much less important to me at this point.

Anyway. The biggest challenge I'm having right now is that I am still unable to use my kitchen because of plumbing problems, and am pretty limited as to what I can eat. Eating lots of raw veggies and produce, and pre-cooked meats (the in-house deli turkey at Whole Foods is compliant!). It's boring as all get out, but eating out isn't really an option both because it can be just as difficult and even more expensive. I have another week before the contractor will be coming to fix the kitchen, so it's going to be a hard go till then.

Worse and worse. Had to have my car repaired yesterday, which means I'm now flat broke and can't go grocery shopping. Also, I've had to push my kitchen repairs back a week due to a project at work that created a conflict.

For now I'm hanging in there in the reintro process, though I will admit I had some wine and some sugar-based candy last night, just because. Otherwise I'm still compliant. Today start's the non-gluten grains reintro.

Breakfast this morning was oatmeal - a favorite of mine. Lunch is being provided at work, so will be (for me) salad only, with no meat or other protein. Not sure yet what I'll do for dinner since I'm limited in my cooking options. I'd love to do risotto, but we'll see. If I do cook, I'd have it with chicken and veggies I can throw on the grill.

Planning to reintro gluten on Saturday, and barring any severe reactions, will probably need to resume a cheaper eating plan for a while, until my kitchen and finances recover from all this mess. But I do hope and plan to keep eating compliant most of the time once I can 

Archived