starting on August 1

Cindi

Hello, I'm new here and I'll be starting my first Whole30 August 1.

About me: I began my weigh loss journey Jan. 2002 although I had tried even before that to lose weight. I've been heavy or heavier than I should be most my life from my teens on. I am also very tall and very broad which made me always look way bigger (to me) than I should have been. Anyway....My dh saw Dr. Atkins on 20/20 and told me "we need to do this" Okay...we tossed all the junk and began the next day. At that point...there were no "low carb products" on the market. We ate veggies, meat, cheese, and eggs...no fruit in the beginning but it was January so we didn't care. I lost 60 pounds in 6 months! COOL! I started adding in fruit...and the wheat products because now it was easy to get bars and shakes and low carb wraps/bread and all that jazz. And I started making my own low carb bread. I've been making bread for YEARS. I did continue to lose as I didn't add much of those things. And lost a total of 120 pounds in about 2 years and then I sort of maintained for another year or so. By 2008 I was noticing an upward trend and had gained about 20 pounds back. WHAT? But I kept doing what I was doing and started exercising more...lots of gym time...boot camp...my own circuit and HIIT and weight lifting workouts. I was addicted to working out. Ended up with back and knee issues and needed surgery on both. Fast forward to 2011. By now I had gained back about 40-50 pounds. My husband (he is the finder of all these things) came across wheat belly. Hmmm, that makes sense. Looking back...that is when I lost the most weight. I didn't have any of that in my diet at all. Okay. Dropped the wheat. Came across Marks daily apple late summer or early fall 2011. Hey, that makes sense too. I can eat fruit and not feel guilty. I like this! So, I had my surgeries, wasn't perfect diet wise but kept going and kept trying. But even without trying much and obviously without much exercise (not like I was use to anyway) I managed to lose 15 pounds between thanksgiving and Christmas. Who do that? Not eating wheat eliminates lots of those holiday goodies. I still ate chocolate, not as much and I tried to eat mostly dark chocolate but not always. 2012 got here and there were NEW stressors in my life...husband job change meant a move for us. My daughter is expecting her first child and they will be moving Sept 1. My son got married, my other daughter moved back home...High cortisol levels anyone? LOL With all that I gained back a few but I'm holding. Hopefully the stresses are better but I'm ready to move on and doing a whole30 will give me that focus. I haven't been doing wheat or other grains (not on purpose anyway) and I do read labels. But I do eat sugar and some artificial sweeteners as well as honey and maple syrup. I have a bit of a sweet tooth. OY. I think giving up the dark chocolate will be my hardest challenge but it is only for 30 days! And we'll see where I go from there. It has all been a process and it has been interesting to look back and see the progression from where I started and how I got here. I'm excited to begin this as I know I still have some inflammation issues. And even knowing this hasn't made me quit the sugar. SLAP!

Anyway...that is my story. I'm excited to be here and get lots of feed back. Any hints and ideas will be awesome.

thanks for reading.

Well, just found out that I shouldn't be drinking or using the kind of coconut milk I've been using. Too many ingredients which means way to processed. Makes sense but still a bummer. I guess I won't be using that. I'll probably finish what I have and not buy anymore.

I am starting Aug. 1st. Long history of losing/gaining etc!!! I am excited to start. I want to be healthy and full of energy for myself and my kids! Looking forward to sharing the journey!!!

I'm another newbie starting on August 1. My first venture into paleo too. I have always thought my diet was reasonably healthy…but reading about wheat, gluten etc. I realise I wasn't really aware of what healthy was. It's going to be a very interesting 30 days. Temptation is hard to remove completely as I have a 2 year old in the house.

I will weigh on August 1 and I will also use a measuring tape for progress reports. I have been moving into whole30 compliance but until today was not very good at all. Today wasn't perfect...I'm drinking my alcohol this week. LOL And I had a piece of dark chocolate and a bit of cheese. But this was WAY better than the last couple of days as I drove by starbucks to pick up a frappuccino. : / or DQ for some ice cream of some sort. Ice cream is my biggest weakness. So I'm calling today a success even if not whole30 compliant. I will be on Aug. 1. Right now I'm just trying to get my mindset better in line. I've been planning my meals so I at least have two weeks worth of ideas and plans that I can mix and match according to what I feel like having.

I haven't read all these posts, (I will :)) but I found coconut milk in a can...straight has no extra junk. I had pasta last Sunday and Monday morning, first day of work...migraine. I had a Penini sandwich last night at a work meeting and today? Migraine. Lesson learned.

Been catching up on posts. Am more motivated than ever to start August 1st. I have been Paleo for a year, but after I met my sweetie, we kinda cheated. Then menapause hit fill force and I can't lose the 15 lbs I regained cheating. I went back to my old Paleo ways, but now I am learning I am not eating enough with all these hormones adjustments. I am hoping Whole30 will have me eating much more and much better foods. And I get to share the joy with all you fine folks

Archived