What is a good 2% evaporated milk substitute in a recipe?

solammy

I think it would depend on the recipe - I don't find the coconut milk overpowering, but I generally use it in curries or soups where it goes with the other flavours. I actually don't find the taste particularly strong!

I don't know what 2% evaporated milk is, so can't help with alternatives, sorry!

What are you trying to make?  Evaporated milk is used almost exclusively in desserts, which are off-limits on a W30.  I don't know that there is a good substitute.  In the process of removing about 60% of the water in milk, the milk sugars are concentrated and caramelized during heating.  I don't think anything else would come close.  You are probably best saving the recipe for after your W30.

Actually, evaporated milk should not have any added sugar, nor be sweet in taste. It's just been evaporated so it is thick and creamy. It can be used to make creamy soups and sauces. CONDENSED milk is sweetened and used in deserts. I think coconut milk is the best you'll be able to find as a replacement.

Instead of trying to paleo-ize existing recipes, why not try new recipes that are already whole30 compliant? I tried taking my favorite recipe pre-paleo and making it paleo (all I had to do was remove the pasta, how bad could it be?) well, it was terrible. The pasta soaked up the sauce and made it delicious, it just wasn't the same without it, so I stopped making that recipe and found dozens of more to replace it with that are delicious and already paleo.

Archived