Unavoidable Late Nights

hnk9285

Question!! So I am in grad school, as well as having nightly volunteer committments, so I am typically up until at least 11:30 or 12. I know the program calls for three meals per day and no snacking, but with breakfast at 8 or 9 every day, lunch at 12 or 12:30, and dinner at 5:30 or 6ish, by the time 10:30/11:00pm rolls around, I find myself hungry again. I'm sure part of it is that late-night snacking habit, but I also think there's an issue in that I'm used to eating at those intervals and it's almost like I'm needing another meal, but don't want to (or think I should, to stick with the program) eat a full meal so late. Any suggestions on what I could eat, or if I should avoid altogether?

While snacking is discouraged it is not forbidden as long as your snack follows the template of protein, fat and veggie. Perhaps you could have a mini-meal/snack in the mid afternoon and push your dinner closer to 7:30 - 8ish. Or keep dinner at 6 and have a mini meal at 8:30-9pm You still wouldn't be eating too close to bed time. Conversely, many people find that eating a bigger breakfast helps keep them more satiated throughout the day. And finally, you can try increasing the fat in your dinner. I think you're just going to experiment and see what works best for you!

I don't think there's anything wrong with having 4 slightly smaller meals if that works best with your schedule. 

Otherwise, if you have flexibility, try M1 at 8/9, M2 at 2/3, M3 at 8/9 and see if that works better.

Archived