Brand of mayonnaise ???

Biminilady

If there are any grassfed farms in your area; there is one nearby us where the farmer makes his own may from his own chicken eggs. Other than that, farmers' markets may be a possibility, unless you change your mind about making your own.

I make 1-2 mason jars a week. I still occasionally mess up, but it is worth it to me to have mayo.

Store-bought mayo either has soybean oil and/or sugar in it, making it non-compliant.

FWIW, when I started my Whole30 at the end of May, boiling eggs was my specialty in the kitchen.  Now I'm cooking left and right: you can learn to make compliant mayo.  All kinds of great recipes and tips out there.

mayo is pretty much a make-it-yourself deal. no manufacturered brands are compliant.

that said: mayo is easy to make once you get the hang of it. Can you explain what went wrong? Maybe we can help?

Store-bought mayo either has soybean oil and/or sugar in it, making it non-compliant.

FWIW, when I started my Whole30 at the end of May, boiling eggs was my specialty in the kitchen.  Now I'm cooking left and right: you can learn to make compliant mayo.  All kinds of great recipes and tips out there.

Miss Mary and Chris have said there aren't - i'm in Australia, but haven't seen a compliant one here either. sorry!

I also went on a Mayo Mission and they don't exisit. 

Don't shut the door forever on making your own - it took me 2 years to try it :lol: I almost licked the bowl clean when I finally did try it and it worked!!  (Immersion blender here as well)

I just finished making my second batch of "failed" mayo.  :angry:  I won't give up on trying to perfect it though - and this is my Day 30!!! Woo Hoo! First I used a blender - failed.  :angry: Today I used a food processor, failed.  :(  I'm guessing I need to try the immersion blender??  Worth a shot.   And, I totally get the "I don't want to try again" attitude but you'll be thrilled with it once you do.  Just the taste and idea of doing it yourself makes it worth it.  And since there is NO compliant brand out there just "suck it up" and march onward.  You might be the one person who can make perfect mayo EVERY time!!  Good luck! :)  

Well.... I did buy the correct oil yesterday.... And more eggs.... So I'm thinking about taking the homemade mayo plunge..... But..... I have No Idea what an immersion blender is that you , and everyone else seems to use..... It's just me and my boring , basic blender... But thanks for the support...... On day 17 without mayo... May skip it entirely....

Well.... I did buy the correct oil yesterday.... And more eggs.... So I'm thinking about taking the homemade mayo plunge..... But..... I have No Idea what an immersion blender is that you , and everyone else seems to use..... It's just me and my boring , basic blender... But thanks for the support...... On day 17 without mayo... May skip it entirely....

Here is an example of an immersion blender. Happens to be the one I own. Worth every penny: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Cuisinart-Smart-Stick-Two-Speed-Hand-Blenders/3245268?Keyword=cusinart+smart+stick

I have read every mayo lable at every grocery store and the health food store in my small town.  MI, USA.  Nada.  Noncompliant oil and most have added sweetener as well.

My suggestion as noted above for homemade ... to purchase a nice tasting oil.  Might take a couple tries and $.  I don't have a fancy blender.  Used a basic compact food processor.  Made bit of a mess,  took a bit of patience.  But tasty and better than plain turkey ... again. 

Guest Andria

Immersion blender technique hands down. I love making mayo now, whereas before I loathed it. No need to worry about drizzling the oil slooooowly.

Here is a link:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Very important:

1. All ingredients at room temperature

2. Diameter of your jar should be no bigger than diameter of immersion blender head (usually the one that comes with blender works)

3. Use light olive oil NOT EVOO

I just finished making my second batch of "failed" mayo.  :angry:  I won't give up on trying to perfect it though - and this is my Day 30!!! Woo Hoo! First I used a blender - failed.  :angry: Today I used a food processor, failed.  :(  I'm guessing I need to try the immersion blender??  Worth a shot.   And, I totally get the "I don't want to try again" attitude but you'll be thrilled with it once you do.  Just the taste and idea of doing it yourself makes it worth it.  And since there is NO compliant brand out there just "suck it up" and march onward.  You might be the one person who can make perfect mayo EVERY time!!  Good luck! :)  

Mayo fails still make great sauces.  I failed at mayo by trying to cut the recipe in half (and the eggs were below the blade) and it was runny.  I added hot sauce and it was a delicious saucy topping for some grilled chicken.

Yes, mayo fails do make great sauces or dressings.  You can also usually recover fails, but you have to totally clean out the blender, bowl, jar, whatever the container was & start again with another room temp egg.  Here's a link on failure recovery:

http://www.mynewoldschool.com/2010/05/09/broken-mayonnaise-fix-it/

You can also use just a whisk if you're energetic, coordinated & want some sweat involved, but I use my blender, since I couldn't keep the bowl still, drizzle oil slowly & whisk rapidly at the same time. Kind of a walk-and-chew-gum thing. :D

I was never a mayo person before Whole30, but after my first batch of Well Fed mayo, I fell in love & now eat it on everything & go through about a quart a week!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get avocado oil, it makes awesome mayo, but mayo ends up green as the oil is green lol gave me quite a fright the first time (green bottle hides green oil).

I think that's personal taste - I've made avo oil mayo and thought it was vile. It definitely wasn't as delicious as normal mayo!

Archived