Brand of mayonnaise ???

Biminilady

I'm new to all this and really found it easy to make my own mayo. But my blender acts like it's bogging down so I have a hand blender on it's way! Can't wait! I too was licking things clean...so good! Then I love the ranch dressing from it. I don't do much to it really...some onion...thin it down with a little water and add a little parsley. You can ad more things but I don't.

Do not give up on homemade mayo - I think a cheap blender might be easier than my Vitamix. You do not want it on high on a Vitamix! You need it on variable speed and no higher than 6! I also saved my first mess up by starting over with a clean blender jar - put in a room temperature egg (key to mayo success - all items MUST be room temp) added the room temp failed mess and added it very slowly in a thin stream - voila - mayo! You will feel like a professional chef when you make it and it works! I also strongly suggest light olive oil (pale yellow) not the extra virgin (light green) The light is a cleaner taste and makes white mayo, not green mayo! I have been making the best salad out of my mayo, thinly sliced cucumbers and onions and a little garlic and dill weed! YUM and good luck!

• Moderators

Even if you fail, you can stick it in the fridge until it is cool again, then, add another egg, some dry mustard, salt and lemon or vinegar, and begin again. The mayo "breaks" when you incorporate too much oil (or too fast).

I use an immersion blender, drizzle the oil in as tiny of a stream as I can, and I don't add all of the olive oil. You will learn to be able to tell by the sound it's making if you are close. Just keep stopping and tasting. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Immersion blender technique hands down. I love making mayo now, whereas before I loathed it. No need to worry about drizzling the oil slooooowly.

Here is a link:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Very important:

1. All ingredients at room temperature

2. Diameter of your jar should be no bigger than diameter of immersion blender head (usually the one that comes with blender works)

3. Use light olive oil NOT EVOO

I agree....light olive oil is the only way to go. I to had many many failed attemps.

salmonella is not really a concern if you are using pastured eggs. wash the shell before you crack it if you are really worried.

egg beaters contain sugar (maltodextrin) so they are not acceptable during a whole30. Even if they were "technically" ok, I wouldn't recommend using such a highly processed food any time, even when not doing a whole30.

Here are the ingredients in egg beaters: Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

EDIT TO ADD: it looks like egg beaters don't contain any yolks at all? That is where the nutrition lies in an egg, and without it I doubt you could get the emulsion needed for mayo.

I think MissMary is right - you'd need the fat in the yolk to get the emulsion going.

I just use the raw egg. So far I've had pastured eggs from my CSA; when the season is over I'll probably get the best ones I can find at the grocery store. If I my immune system were compromised somehow I might think twice (my aunt didn't try any of my homemade mayo because she's currently getting chemo), but otherwise I haven't given it a second thought.

• Moderators

I'll just throw in that I use this immersion blender recipe: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2013/07/07/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ -- no waiting for everything to be at room temperature, no separating the egg or anything. Works great. The only fail I've had with it was when I accidentally forgot to put in my lemon juice. What a waste of a good egg that was...

So do we have another homemade mayo convert? I'm no great chef, but mayo is one item I will never buy in a store again. In particular, I found the flavor mix I like, which is 2 Tbsp lime juice and a splash of apple cider vinegar, along with the ground mustard and salt found in the Well Fed recipe.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made mayo in a regular blender as well as an immersion blender.....hands down it is easier with the immersion, but also doable with the regular blender. The real trick is room temperature, once your egg and lemon juice/apple cider vinegar is room temperature, it is "almost" fail proof!

I have tested the drizzle, and just dumping it all in, once you get that 1st emulsion, I have poured the whole cp of oil in, and it still worked! (this was with the immersion blender, and If you try it I am not responsible for failed mayo....maybe I'm just lucky!)

• 2 years later...

I just made my homemade mayo and it didn't turn out. We have just mayo brand of mayonnaise and it list organic sugar in the ingredients, but says that it has 0 grams of sugar in it on the label. Does this make it ok?

nope. sugar in the ingredients means it is out for the whole30. can you describe your process for making mayo? Maybe we can pinpoint what went wrong.

• 2 years later...

I also attempted homemade Mayo on multiple occassions and didn’t like it one bit (I explored varying the ingredients and using different recipes). There is however, a compliant brand that you can buy. It’s by primal kitchen, and even has a whole30 approved seal on the front. I buy the one with avocado oil instead of olive oil, and the ingredients are all organic all Whole Foods :)

Archived