What about Maca Powder?

Frankiekex

Hi, I am new here as from today hurray!  :rolleyes:

I have been reading all the posts and rules (well almost all) and  have already got a lot of advice and great tips.

I can however not find anything regarding Maca Powder - Yes or No? And what about Spirulina can't see any topic about this either.

Many Thanks,

Maria

• Moderators

Grudgingly, I would say that both maca and spirulina are okay, but not necessary during a Whole30. You don't need supplements like this when you are eating real, fresh, whole foods and they can never make up for an overall bad diet. 

• Moderators

Absolutely. There is no such thing as a super food. These are hooks for marketers to make you enthusiastic about buying the products they represent.

The whole system is corrupt. If you want to be as healthy as possible, you have to fill most every plate you eat with foods that enhance health and exclude foods that make you less healthy most of the time. Instead, marketers try to make you think that drinking a special tea, taking supplements, or including a special powder in a shake will give you vibrant health. What I really hate is when people who do eat well, pay up for supplements and think the supplements are giving them health when really it was the overall good diet making the difference.

I am not opposed to supplements taken for very specific reasons, but I hate to see people spend money on supplements as some kind of general insurance policy. They really don't deliver that way.

• 5 months later...

I find that a little maca powder adds flavor to my frozen blueberry (1/3 cup), coconut flakes (1/4 cup), macadamia nut pieces (about 15 pieces), organic cacao nibs (teaspoon) mix in the morning.  Not much--just about a teaspoon.  I treat maca like a spice in this way, not as a superfood. But it's good to know it's considered ok on Whole30.  I am on day 19 and seeing such good results!

I find that a little maca powder adds flavor to my frozen blueberry (1/3 cup), coconut flakes (1/4 cup), macadamia nut pieces (about 15 pieces), organic cacao nibs (teaspoon) mix in the morning.  Not much--just about a teaspoon.  I treat maca like a spice in this way, not as a superfood. But it's good to know it's considered ok on Whole30.  I am on day 19 and seeing such good results!

I am glad you are seeing good results. I assume you are eating meat and veggies with your morning meal? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf.  This meal doesn't follow the meal template if all you are eating are fruit and nuts. 

Archived